Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2017, 04:57 AM   #1001

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
I bent and cut a piece of smoked plexiglass for a stereo display sun shield a couple years ago now... finally getting around to replacing it with better prototype.

Just got a 3D printer and am surprised at how many simple things around the garage and house can simply be printed up when needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RXV00037.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	4300   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5821.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	4301  

Old 03-26-2017, 03:50 PM   #1002

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3306
Have been wanting to replace the plastic kitchen sink in our Axis 24.1. Started this morning, need to router out the hole to accept the new sink. Will post after pics when we're finished. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1746.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	4310Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1747.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	4311Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1748.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	4312
Old 03-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #1003

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Nice job! 2018 comes with the SS sink, guess Thor finally listened!
Old 03-26-2017, 09:18 PM   #1004

THOR #3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by croused View Post
Thanks! Go figure - glad Thor's paying attention!
Old 03-26-2017, 09:36 PM   #1005

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
It must be very difficult for Thor and other manufacturers to listen to feedback because it's probably so varied and subjective. Many buyers want lower cost, while others prefer slight upgrade at a little higher cost.

If they could build more to order, like the auto industry of 40 years ago, it would allow each of us to get what we want. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work today because it's deemed too expensive overall.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:15 PM   #1006

THOR #3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
It must be very difficult for Thor and other manufacturers to listen to feedback because it's probably so varied and subjective. Many buyers want lower cost, while others prefer slight upgrade at a little higher cost.

If they could build more to order, like the auto industry of 40 years ago, it would allow each of us to get what we want. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work today because it's deemed too expensive overall.
It's about quality in my opinion. If I can mod my RV to make the enhancements I like so be it. Just wondering, what model do you own Chance? Have you done any mods to it? We really enjoy hearing what others have done to their RV's.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:42 AM   #1007

THOR #6877
There are so many things I have learned from this forum that should be standard options at least:

Power surge suppressor
Water filtration
Steering stabilizer
Front suspension damper
Black water hose and storage
Backup rollers on hitch
Old 03-27-2017, 01:31 AM   #1008

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRodgers View Post
It's about quality in my opinion. If I can mod my RV to make the enhancements I like so be it. Just wondering, what model do you own Chance? Have you done any mods to it? We really enjoy hearing what others have done to their RV's.
Unfortunately still looking. We'd like to replace our van camper which has 160,000 miles as soon as possible. Our two best choices at present are a ProMaster Class B (too small and questionable drivetrain) or an Axis 24.1 (too large, doesn't have rear garage for bikes, plus we like no-slide designs much better).

In the middle between these two options would be perfect for us, which is why I follow industry closely to see if the "Euro" downsizing movement accelerates.

I don't have a problem building or modifying stuff, although my wife feels very differently. She would be OK with modifying an older MH, but thinks it's crazy to buy new knowing it's not what you really want. Besides, eliminating a slide or building a bike garage isn't too practical a project anyway.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:41 AM   #1009

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Two new mods...small tray with cup holders and 12v massaging seat cushion.

Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:44 AM   #1010

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:

I don't have a problem building or modifying stuff, although my wife feels very differently. She would be OK with modifying an older MH, but thinks it's crazy to buy new knowing it's not what you really want.
They have never built one
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:15 AM   #1011

THOR #3306
Quote:
There are so many things I have learned from this forum that should be standard options at least:

Power surge suppressor
Water filtration
Steering stabilizer
Front suspension damper
Black water hose and storage
Backup rollers on hitch
Amen brotha!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #1012

THOR #3306
Quote:
Unfortunately still looking. We'd like to replace our van camper which has 160,000 miles as soon as possible. Our two best choices at present are a ProMaster Class B (too small and questionable drivetrain) or an Axis 24.1 (too large, doesn't have rear garage for bikes, plus we like no-slide designs much better).

In the middle between these two options would be perfect for us, which is why I follow industry closely to see if the "Euro" downsizing movement accelerates.

I don't have a problem building or modifying stuff, although my wife feels very differently. She would be OK with modifying an older MH, but thinks it's crazy to buy new knowing it's not what you really want. Besides, eliminating a slide or building a bike garage isn't too practical a project anyway.
Sounds like y'all just need to book a hotel room. Clearly we have different views, likes, dislikes. Wish you well in your journey to find the perfect RV. I'm hoping you won't feel the need to post a comment on my next mod as I'm sharing with folks that actually have an Axis/Vegas and don't feel the need to debate.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #1013

THOR #2121
Quote:
Sounds like y'all just need to book a hotel room. Clearly we have different views, likes, dislikes. Wish you well in your journey to find the perfect RV. I'm hoping you won't feel the need to post a comment on my next mod as I'm sharing with folks that actually have an Axis/Vegas and don't feel the need to debate.
Seriously? I wasn't even replying to your post.

I happen to like your stainless sink, think it's a great idea, have stated previously that Thor should make it a standard, etc. How you figured I was critiquing your sink is beyond me.

That still doesn't change the fact that because you and I may like higher-cost items, there are a lot of buyers the industry caters to based primarily on lowest possible cost. And if a plastic sink saves them a buck, that's what they will get. That was my reply directed at someone else's comment.

As I said before, if Thor and other companies want to listen to future buyers, good luck with that because we all have different opinions.

To be clear, it being "crazy" to make a modification to a new MH was in reference to me eliminating a slide, not you replacing a sink. While it can be done, it would be economically foolish.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:48 PM   #1014
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Well said.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #1015

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post

Ric, got a link for where you got the small cup holder or did you make it?
Thanks
Old 03-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #1016

THOR #3306
Quote:

Wow - that's awesome! Nice job!
Old 03-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #1017

THOR #6877
Can you get out of captain chair with table in place?
Old 03-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #1018
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:

I DO like that smaller tray .. where did you find it ?
and...can you get out of front seats with removing the tray/post ?
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:26 PM   #1019
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Seriously? I wasn't even replying to your post.

I happen to like your stainless sink, think it's a great idea, have stated previously that Thor should make it a standard, etc. How you figured I was critiquing your sink is beyond me.

That still doesn't change the fact that because you and I may like higher-cost items, there are a lot of buyers the industry caters to based primarily on lowest possible cost. And if a plastic sink saves them a buck, that's what they will get. That was my reply directed at someone else's comment.

As I said before, if Thor and other companies want to listen to future buyers, good luck with that because we all have different opinions.

To be clear, it being "crazy" to make a modification to a new MH was in reference to me eliminating a slide, not you replacing a sink. While it can be done, it would be economically foolish.
CHANCE ! I enjoy reading your posts...and know from previous conversations..you are still hunting for the perfect fit. Obviously, you have more patience than 98% of the RV buying public !! With that said...I noticed you like the 24.1 if it only, did not have a slide and had more storage for bicycles. Well...I thought...hey ! just don't use the slide !! .. in doing so, you don't have to mess with the 'probable-problems' associated with same !! HA !!
Get one of the neat bike racks to hang on the back..if you want it enclosed to protect your equipment...have someone make a weatherproof cover for it..and there ya go ! Just saying ....

As you know...that 24.1 is a great size...we all seem to enjoy the unit and what it has to offer !

Happy Day ! ... keep the chatter coming !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-27-2017, 10:39 PM   #1020
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
NICE !! Somewhere, in this particular thread is another post regarding someone replacing the acrylic sink with stainless, due to heat damage on the acrylic. (Not JollyRodgers post)
So far, we have not melted our sink !! It may be a matter of time...So..I shopped one which will fit the hole in our counter and found IKEA has a 16" sink..it does not appear quite as deep as our sink...but, if I can talk Ron into replacing ours...I think I will take a look at that one !

Happy you enjoy the forum !
Jeep Wrangler TJ