Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #1081

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Are you running those separate it did you replace the two house batteries under the step? Been thinking of setting up an inverter on two separate batteries and leaving the original two batteries for 12v

Old 04-04-2017, 02:21 AM   #1082

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Are you running those separate it did you replace the two house batteries under the step? Been thinking of setting up an inverter on two separate batteries and leaving the original two batteries for 12v
I just replaced the two house batteries.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:14 PM   #1083

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
did you sell your dinette?
Old 04-05-2017, 11:30 PM   #1084

State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Can you share all your hard found measurements, about to take delivery of 2018 Vegas 24.1 and think I will come to the same conclusion as you did to prefer a dinette!
Old 04-06-2017, 12:47 AM   #1085

Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by croused View Post
Can you share all your hard found measurements, about to take delivery of 2018 Vegas 24.1 and think I will come to the same conclusion as you did to prefer a dinette!
Camping World did all the work. It took forever. Not only did it take forever, but they screwed up. When I brought it back home, I fixed everything.

Honestly, it's not a complicated mod if you are handy. I would look into ordering all the parts. Have the parts delivered to your house and have a local carpenter complete the job. Or, you can do it yourself.

We prefer the dinette option because we are dinette folks. However, we mainly preferred the option for our children.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:34 AM   #1086

State: Florida
THOR #5392
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
Just completed my replacement of the implement of torture that Thor calls a sleeper sofa with a RecPro ($799) dual recliner. The color is mahogany which blends very well with the side leather on the driver/passenger seats. Fit with about an 1.5 to spare on each side and reclines fully with no problem. I really like the firmness of these compared so some others I looked at which were too soft for my tastes. I was able to keep the table storage behind the seats, but had to move the table legs to be safe. Attaching them to the platform was the trickiest part. Had to get a flexible drill extension to attach metal straps to the chair frame and Axis platform. I was able to get some of the leatherette fabric from RecPro for $10/yard that I used to cover a baseboard I cut to trim out the bottom. Super comfy, excellent for snoozing, and really makes the living area so much more usable. Thanks Doc and all who have gone before me and were so helpful!
I'm doing the same with my 2014 vegas (tan in color) Im interested in what you did for securing the recliners to the floor. My chairs fit in the slide out. the slide out floor is which aprox 2" above the main floor.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #1087

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieBoxer View Post
I'm doing the same with my 2014 vegas (tan in color) Im interested in what you did for securing the recliners to the floor. My chairs fit in the slide out. the slide out floor is which aprox 2" above the main floor.
I used rolled metal strips (it comes in a role pre-punched with holes got it at the hardware store) and self-drilling wood screws with hex nut heads (allows you to use a socket rather than a screw driver bit). I made sure the screws would not be too long as to impede the slide out platform operation but long enough to go through the platform (say 1-1.25 "). I cut the metal strips so that they would wrap around the bottom of the chair frame bar and drove a screw through the strap into the floor platform. I put one strap on the front, back, and each side bars (total of 4). You're probably wondering how I could get into such a confined space to drive in the screw's. That's where the flexible drill attachment came in (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I could not have done it without. I wish I would have bought one of these year's ago. It's useful for soooo many projects. The chair's aren't going anywhere without the platform coming off. I figured the seatbelts will hold any passengers in place while driving.

I've seen where some folk's have actually used the seatbelts wrapped around the chair frames underneath to secure the chairs. Since I wanted to continue using the seatbelts for passengers, I didn't choose this approach.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #1088

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
I made a few improvements to the cabling in front too.

I reused the power outlet from the original surround and added a couple of modular plug-panels. One on the inside in the lower right corner has connections for the antenna/cable coax, the satellite HDMI connector, HDMI-2 in, and USB in.

The last two are connected to the other panel on the outside lower right corner of the cabinet.

The inner panel makes it easy to make the connections when installing the TV. The outer panel makes it trivial to connect an IPad, DVD player, or whatever without rooting around behind the TV.

In the bedroom the thieves left us with this nice mess. What’s really interesting is that the original mount was attached with two screws into one ¾ x 2” “stud”. All the other screws simply went into the paneling. I guess it’s structural. (not!)

We were faced with removing all of the cabinets and the bed structure to replace the destroyed paneling, or simply covering the hole. I was pretty sure that once removed nothing would ever go back in correctly, so we opted for the cosmetic fix.

I made a 24 x 13” plate of ¾” cabinet-grade cherry plywood. The edges were banded to make it look nice. I had to relocate the coax connection to accommodate the new mounting plate. The plate is screwed to three “studs” and is quite solid.

The “new” TV is a 28” Samsung. Actually, the new TV was nicer than what we had in our bedroom at home. Soooo, it ended up in the house and the older one was moved to the coach. It's still a bigger/better TV than the "San-who?-ee" that it replaced"!

Both the living room and bedroom TVs are on easy-to-remove mounts. They will be removed for storage from now on!

Very nice job I hate thiefs , so much trouble for you over such cheap TVs
Old 04-07-2017, 12:10 AM   #1089

THOR #5392
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
I used rolled metal strips (it comes in a role pre-punched with holes got it at the hardware store) and self-drilling wood screws with hex nut heads (allows you to use a socket rather than a screw driver bit). I made sure the screws would not be too long as to impede the slide out platform operation but long enough to go through the platform (say 1-1.25 "). I cut the metal strips so that they would wrap around the bottom of the chair frame bar and drove a screw through the strap into the floor platform. I put one strap on the front, back, and each side bars (total of 4). You're probably wondering how I could get into such a confined space to drive in the screw's. That's where the flexible drill attachment came in (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I could not have done it without. I wish I would have bought one of these year's ago. It's useful for soooo many projects. The chair's aren't going anywhere without the platform coming off. I figured the seatbelts will hold any passengers in place while driving.

I've seen where some folk's have actually used the seatbelts wrapped around the chair frames underneath to secure the chairs. Since I wanted to continue using the seatbelts for passengers, I didn't choose this approach.

Hope this helps.
Thanks much. I just posted about this. LOL my cordless drill bit the dirt during this project. It was a 12 yr old dewalt. Ill get another with this flex bit.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:20 AM   #1090

THOR #5392
helps a lot. I appreciate you sharing. I was thinking about going to the side wall not knowing what was under the floor. Now after seeing what youve done it does seem the best way.
thanks
Old 04-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #1091

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
So far I installed a home-brew sewer hose storage spot. The Axis doesn't really have a good spot for the sewer hose that drains and/or is outside and I didn't like the idea of just throwing a "freshly used hose" into one of the outside compartments.

Got the idea from a friend: Went to the home depot and got some plastic 4" fence post, sawed it down to fit under the chassis at the rear, painted it black, and screwed it to the frame a few feet in front of the hitch. Its only accessible from the passenger side as the generator blocks it on the other side.

Since you really can't see it unless you crawl underneath I just used an eyebolt with a nut it to secure the end. There is enough room under there to put two side-by-side for extra hose.
I'm planning to install a version of this sewer hose storage solution on our Axis this weekend.
Thanks for all the great pics & detail, JamieGeek.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:57 PM   #1092

State: Nevada
THOR #7061
A little help please!
I am looking at a 2015 24.2, I am a solo travler and would like to use the overhead bed full time. As such I would like to put a 6" mem foam matress there and leave it. I have looked at the sync problems listed here on the forum and I think I understand the issues. I would like some opinions to the following solution. moving the bed down about 4 inches and drilling a new pin locking hole in the track. that way I could move the bed up to the new pin hole and lock it in while driving thus taking the strain off the mechinism. when ready I would move the bed all they way to the bottom holding the switch for the recommended 2 secs to fully sync. any thoughts?
thanks Jon
Old 04-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #1093

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonnyb View Post
A little help please!
I am looking at a 2015 24.2, I am a solo travler and would like to use the overhead bed full time. As such I would like to put a 6" mem foam matress there and leave it. I have looked at the sync problems listed here on the forum and I think I understand the issues. I would like some opinions to the following solution. moving the bed down about 4 inches and drilling a new pin locking hole in the track. that way I could move the bed up to the new pin hole and lock it in while driving thus taking the strain off the mechinism. when ready I would move the bed all they way to the bottom holding the switch for the recommended 2 secs to fully sync. any thoughts?
thanks Jon
We use a better mattress and it does not to completely flush with the ceiling. No problem for us. Should work fine.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #1094
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The pins on our unit are just safeties--there is no tension on them at all.

We have a thick foam mattress for that bunk. I just take it down for travel (it's a trifold so I can remove it easily). When we are camping we leave the mattress in and only raise the bunk until the bedding hits the ceiling. In the evening I lower the bunk all the way to reset the timing.

So far, after 3 seasons, it is still rock solid.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #1095

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
A little help please!
thanks Jon
The problem with moving the bed down four inches and drilling new holes is that you need to sync the motors both up and down. So just drilling new holes will not stop the bed in a lower position and you should not stop it going up (or down) without allowing the motors to sync and shut down by themselves. I am sure there is a way to reset the system so that it will stop four inches lower, but I do not know how to do that. The people at Schwintek were very helpful when I called them and they could probably answer that question.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:17 AM   #1096

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
Quote:
A little help please!
thanks Jon
I also wanted to put a decent mattress on the overhead bed. I also wanted to store the ladder up there as well. Here's what I did (Thor Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone lowered the bed safty pins?)

I've been using this approach for a few months and it's worked with no problems. I haven't had any sync issues. I also no seen the bed slipping down at all even though I have the safety cables described in the link above in place just in case. Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #1097

State: Washington
THOR #2123
This is on Amazon. I bought one, installed in minutes, hung the spare and have over 11,000 miles with it, including a trip to Cabo San Lucas.

CURT 31006 Spare Tire Mount
Touch the image to zoom in
Curt Manufacturing
CURT 31006 Spare Tire Mount
4.2 out of 5 stars 78 customer reviews | 51 answered questions
Price: $74.99 & FREE Shipping. Details
Get $50.00 off instantly: Pay $24.99 upon approval for the Amazon Rewards Visa Card. Learn more
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
Eligible for AmazonSmile donation.
98% Of All Orders Arrive In 2-3 Business Days
› See more product details
Old 04-11-2017, 12:51 AM   #1098

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #5875
Alignment and anti sway bars

Just completed a 400 mile round trip overnight excursion after I installed the front and rear anti sway bars, the front Sumo stops and had the front end aligned for the first time (tech said that it was out so far that he didn't know how I kept the thing on the road).
Our Axis 25.2 now handles extremely well, I was very relaxed while driving on Interstate 90 and had no problems with wander, or sway and the Sumo stops make a very noticeable difference in the lack of jarring thumps when hitting bumps on the highway.
I did also adjust the pressure in all the tires, the fronts had 80 lbs. and the rears only had 55 lbs. when I picked it up from the dealer. Fronts are now 74 lbs. and rears are 80lbs.

I also installed a new digital thermostat, a Coleman 83303362, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a direct replacement for the stock thermostat in our unit (screw holes and wires are the same) Made a huge difference in temperature regulation in the coach (no more big temperature swings).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170408_084930_001.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	4549  
Old 04-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #1099

State: Nevada
THOR #7061
overhead bed question

thanks to those who posted info for my overhead bed question!
jon
Old 04-27-2017, 04:05 AM   #1100

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnpst1
I like the idea of storing the sewer line outside. Has anyone tried mounting a sewer line carrier, like Valterra's product, on the bumper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
That's how I did mine . Works great , very convenient to get to and when I wash the rig I generally pull the hose out and wash out the tube.
Petew, how did you attach this to your bumper? Did you drill a hole through the center of the brackets since the existing holes are spaced too wide? I'm trying to figure out a solution for the Axis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4172.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	4769