Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2017, 10:24 PM   #1121

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #7349
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkipper View Post
We have removed the over head bunk mattress and store both removable tables and poles up there. Works well, we wrap them in a few towels. We also store other things up there also as needed. We don't have a need for that area as a bunk.

Brilliant, Skipper! We are on the maiden voyage of our 24.1.

It is not a one person job to get those tables out from behind the sofa for us and with two of us, there is still some muscle ouch.

Tonight when we get off work (working online lakeside) , changes will be made. Tables will go up there with poles as well as sheets and towels that are currently taking up space in the wardrobe will go up there as well. Maybe winter coats and down vest as well, since June and Utah can mean any kind of weather.

With the heads up from another forum member, about taking down the bunk all the way and putting it up all the way each time, this 15 minute break from work has been priceless.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #1122

Model: FourWinds 24F
State: New Hampshire
THOR #7322
Quote:
Originally Posted by croused View Post
Without removing mattress we keep the tables stored there. Mattress compresses fine. The table storage in the closet is worthless and makes the closet unusable even if the stupid clips would hold (which the don't).
As we (2 humans, 2 dogs) would never need that bunk (and we don't plan on invited guests ), we'd just store the mattress flat and dry in our house. I'd lay down some no-slide carpet pad or draw liner for containers for soft storage. And getting the tables and legs out of our way is an excellent idea.
Looking forward to hearing of your (croused & Smidge) first travels with your 24.1s.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:02 AM   #1123

THOR #7322
Anyone replace the small couch in the slide with a dinette?

When we buy, it will likely be the Vegas/Axis 24.1, because I like the layout. But we'd prefer a dinette (where the table folds down for another sleeping surface - as in for our dogs ) than the couch - and messing with the legged table. Put away, set up, put away, etc. And having to lean forward on the couch to use the table as a computer work area will hurt my back. Dinette seating is better for us, and easy to improve with firm foam.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #1124

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmurph View Post
Yes, we found that the couch did not fit well with our camping as most of the time we do not have guests. When we do, the overhead bunk works ok

There was another forum member that had removed his dinette and replaced it with some recliners and I arranged to buy it from him. It has worked out just fine. Only mods I did was to narrow the width of the table and add storage drawers under each seat. I think there are some others on the forum who have installed dinettes in place of the couch also.

I talked with another Axis or Vegas owner who had a dinette installed either at the factory when ordered or after delivey by dealer. Not sure which.

BTW, we will be in southern NH next month. If you want to take a look, send me a PM.
Good luck.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:41 PM   #1125

THOR #7322
mcr1010: Nice to know that someone has done this. I'm guessing that having it factory installed would reduce your price negotiation room. Might have slightly better luck at a dealer. But I also suspect it would be prudent to try it as is for a season or two, then decide.

What will bring you to NH?
Old 07-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #1126

THOR #1249
My wife's folks are up there in NH and we usually go up there every summer for a few weeks.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:20 AM   #1127

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmurph View Post

When we buy, it will likely be the Vegas/Axis 24.1, because I like the layout. But we'd prefer a dinette (where the table folds down for another sleeping surface - as in for our dogs ) than the couch - and messing with the legged table. Put away, set up, put away, etc. And having to lean forward on the couch to use the table as a computer work area will hurt my back. Dinette seating is better for us, and easy to improve with firm foam.

Here ya go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160320_144248.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	5643   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160320_144322.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	5644  

Old 07-06-2017, 02:40 AM   #1128

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
Here ya go...
Is that the one I sold you? If so you did a nice job of modifying it to fit.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:53 AM   #1129

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
No, I think that is rvfigs's install. I will see if I have some pics to post. If not, I will be over at the lot today and take a few. The dinette you sold me worked out just fine. All I have to do to now is install the seat belts just in case I have passengers.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:38 PM   #1130

THOR #1249
Here is a pic of the dinette installation in the Vegas. Best I could get today with my phone.
I think there is another forum member that built his dinette and did a great job on it. It has worked out well for us and thanks again Rick for the dinette.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinette (2).jpg
Views:	293
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	5651
Old 07-07-2017, 04:07 AM   #1131

State: Illinois
THOR #4001
where do you get ''this dinette
Old 07-07-2017, 04:10 AM   #1132

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
No...unit was purchase brand new from Camping World.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:07 AM   #1133

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Here is a pic of the dinette installation in the Vegas. Best I could get today with my phone.
I think there is another forum member that built his dinette and did a great job on it. It has worked out well for us and thanks again Rick for the dinette.

Attachment 5651
Looks good - tks. He mentioned NH relatives so ...
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #1134

State: Georgia
THOR #3436
table

Tables are too heavy. We took the tables out and use 3 wooden TV trays. The trays are so much easier to move out of the way.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #1135

THOR #7322
Good option, tcshr5! That way, I could be on the laptop, while hubby puts his feet up on a folding ottoman.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:35 PM   #1136

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #7522
Extra shelving to the back of the Vegas 24.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
What mods have you done or are thinking of doing on your Axis/Vegas?
Did anyone add extra shelving to the back of the Vegas 24.1? there are no tables or anything in the back on either side of the bed to set stuff on- just wondering if anyone added anything to theirs to hold like the remote - glasses your beer... Thanks Lucy
Old 07-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #1137
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy P View Post
Did anyone add extra shelving to the back of the Vegas 24.1? there are no tables or anything in the back on either side of the bed to set stuff on- just wondering if anyone added anything to theirs to hold like the remote - glasses your beer... Thanks Lucy
Hi ! Lucy ... we have the Axis 24.1 and have not thought about adding extra shelving, as we use the area between the twin beds for our 'stuff' ...
It does seem weird...we have a Calif. King bed at home...so decided to use the twins in the RV, rather than making it into the King...simply because it is so easy to get in and out of bed...and there is that flat space for those items.

Shelves might be a good addition..... show n tell if you do something !

Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:10 PM   #1138
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcshr5@yahoo.com View Post
Tables are too heavy. We took the tables out and use 3 wooden TV trays. The trays are so much easier to move out of the way.
We have a folding wood camp table which we found on Amazon which we use in front of the couch...and, honestly, had not thought about removing the table behind the couch, which we never use...hmmmm... I think that is a good idea...Each time we go out, we think we are going to bring along a couple tv trays, and forget them !!!
I am making a note to do so next trip !! ... Along with that folding camp table, a tray or 2 would be handy !

kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:39 PM   #1139

State: Delaware
THOR #8517
Bathroom door

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
So far both captains chairs are intact and working well.

The only inside mod we've done (other than the few I mentioned earlier) is we put 3 towel hooks in the bathroom on the front wall. The 3M 5lb ones.

I did read on IRV2 today of several people who removed the bathroom door and put an accordion door on the front of the bathroom (a shame since the bathroom configuration was one of the things that sold the unit for us).
Wow...I would be interested in Bathroom door mods on a Vegas. My wife and I can stand the door arrangement.....if sleep over guests are getting up in the middle of the night to use the john, it becomes a real noisy challenge getting that door slid open for use. Thanks
Old 07-27-2017, 11:58 PM   #1140

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by svozz View Post
Wow...I would be interested in Bathroom door mods on a Vegas. My wife and I can stand the door arrangement.....if sleep over guests are getting up in the middle of the night to use the john, it becomes a real noisy challenge getting that door slid open for use. Thanks
I modified my bi-fold, finger pinching BR doors to swing like the newer Vegas-Axis do from each side of the BR wall. Was and easy mod to do and worked out very nicely. The mod did not affect the accordion door into the bedroom.

If you are considering doing your BR door mod, a few pics may help if needed.