Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2015, 11:25 PM   #201

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgebo View Post
On my Vegas, the cabinet door struts all came loose from the pivot point where they are attached to the cabinet wood. the screws just move so much when you open and close, and because there is a lot of tension inside those struts. I had to put a small piece of metal on the cabinet wood, and a nylon spacer between the strut and the metal strip, and a larger screw to solve a stupidly designed problem. The struts were in direct contact with, and abrading the wood.
Which cabinet is this?

Old 04-02-2015, 11:27 PM   #202

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Cabinets

I am afraid of the same issue. Can you show a pic of what you did?
Old 04-02-2015, 11:44 PM   #203
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I have seen this on ours; at least for the clothes closet strut at the top. I would think the easiest thing to do would be to just put a washer in between the strut and the wood.

I haven't looked that closely at all the struts on the overhead storage bins but I would imagine its the same there (get a lot of washers! LOL).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #204

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1347
First Trip in our Vegas

My wife and I just returned from a 36 day, 7012 mile shakedown cruise in our new Vegas, from Central Pennsylvania to the SouthWest of the US. We had a very nice time visiting family, and enjoying museums, state and federal parks, Route 66 relics, and other points of interest. The only serious mechanical problem we had was a leaky house water pump that made a mess of things. We replaced it with a SHURflo pump and had no further water problems.

However, there are two areas that need to be addressed.

The noise level in the cab caused by the combination of engine noise, tire noise, and wind noise is intolerable. Period. At 65 mph it is impossible to carry on a normal conversation or listen to the radio except for the rare instance of a long downhill stretch with just the right road surface. In this day and age of modern acoustical engineering I do not understand why this is so. I suspect the black suits at Thor never drove one of these out of the parking lot.

Whoever made the decision to replace the standard windshield wiper control that came with the chassis and put in that ridiculous dash mounted switch ought to be fired..... Driving across west Texas for several hours in an intermittent rain storm required constant bending over, taking my eyes off the road, fiddling with the control, and never really knowing what amount of delay it was set on, made me a very unhappy camper.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:19 PM   #205
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggys Vegas
The noise level in the cab caused by the combination of engine noise, tire noise, and wind noise is intolerable. Period. At 65 mph it is impossible to carry on a normal conversation or listen to the radio except for the rare instance of a long downhill stretch with just the right road surface. In this day and age of modern acoustical engineering I do not understand why this is so. I suspect the black suits at Thor never drove one of these out of the parking lot.
You should take a peek under your doghouse. There have been a non-zero number of Axis/Vegas owners that found no insulation there. (We were one of the lucky ones and had about 1/2" or so of foam insulation/shielding.)
Old 04-03-2015, 05:51 PM   #206

Model: Freedom Elite
THOR #1616
Why doesn't anyone use the bumper to carry their hose like they used to do? Were they crawling out going down the road?
Old 04-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #207

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Because the Axis/Vegas does not have a square tube bumper.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:27 PM   #208

THOR #1347
Doghouse

I had already removed the Dog House cover and you can see from the attached photo that there was only about 2/3 of the Dog House covered with foam. Also the rubber seal was poorly installed and had gaps. This is another example of poor workmanship behind the surface.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dog House Cover.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	357  
Old 04-04-2015, 03:22 PM   #209
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Has anyone gone to a Ford dealer and looked at the insulation on a E350 van to see if the dog house is insulated?

This could be a Ford issue and the installation of additional insulation could void a Chassis/power train warranty because of excessive heat build up in the engine compartment.

The heat build up due to the proximity of the firewall is the reason why the Ford V10 is detuned for the E series vans and cutaways.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #210

THOR #1765
My last RV (Phoenix Cruiser) was a Class C E-350 and it had insulation in the dog house. But that was a very different configuration than the Vegas. Has anyone asked Thor about this insulation issue and if if is OK to add more? I would hope that the answer to heat issues in the engine would not be to blead the heat into the passenger compartment! But.... You never know...
Old 04-05-2015, 01:08 AM   #211

State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Shower Mods

Added two modification to the shower that made a tremendous improvement to our shower experience. The L shaped curtain rod added some additional space in front of the facet. The addition of the Oxygenics 26481 Shower Head really helped with the water the water. This thread has provided me with some great solutions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower update.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	358  
Old 04-05-2015, 01:39 AM   #212

THOR #1765
Nice mods. Your right a good shower head makes a big difference in terms of water pressure and water flow. I found that with a good shower head I was using 1/3 less water than before. We found that moving the shower head to the side of the medicine cabinet throws the water to the back of the shower rather than hitting the shower curtain directly and you end up with a lot less water on the floor.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:20 AM   #213

THOR #1478
You are right, the shower head made a big difference. When I was looking to purchase an Axis, I did not want the water controls coming off the sink. In hindsight, I now think it works best coming off the sink. The faucet controls are taking up space in such a small shower and I accidentally hit them from time to time with my arm. I wish I could seal them off and install the shower off the sink.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:47 AM   #214

State: Colorado
THOR #1654
does anyone know with TV is connected to the HDMI cable in the cabinet above the kitchen sink. I want to put a DVD player in this cabinet and have it cabled to both the inside and outside TV's
Old 04-05-2015, 04:01 AM   #215

THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
does anyone know with TV is connected to the HDMI cable in the cabinet above the kitchen sink. I want to put a DVD player in this cabinet and have it cabled to both the inside and outside TV's
The HDMI cable is connected directly to the TV in the living room over the door in the 24.1. There is an HDMI cable in the outside storage compartment to connect to the outside.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #216

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410 View Post
You are right, the shower head made a big difference. When I was looking to purchase an Axis, I did not want the water controls coming off the sink. In hindsight, I now think it works best coming off the sink. The faucet controls are taking up space in such a small shower and I accidentally hit them from time to time with my arm. I wish I could seal them off and install the shower off the sink.
Thanks. That is good to know. I was thinking about trying to change it..
Old 04-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #217
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov
Has anyone gone to a Ford dealer and looked at the insulation on a E350 van to see if the dog house is insulated?
The dog house on the Axis/Vegas is a Thor item, not a Ford one. It is part of the custom class-A like front end.

For the Axis/Vegas units Thor starts with a stripped chassis E350 that has no body at all--not even the front cab.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #218

THOR #1765
That is true, however the Ford cab E-350, that is used in the Class C's has a similar cover. The engine is in a different place (it's higher) however, so I am not sure one is in any way similar to the other.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #219

Model: Axis 25.1
THOR #1503
The engine is in the same place whether it's a E-350 cut away or a E-350 stripped chassis.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
...The engine is in a different place (it's higher) however, so I am not sure one is in any way similar to the other.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:59 PM   #220
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
The engine is in the same place whether it's a E-350 cut away or a E-350 stripped chassis.

Bruce
The engines are in the same place but Thor builds up the drivers position different: we sit higher up in the Axis/Vegas and further forward. I store my axis next to a similar length class-C and I look down on that driver when sitting in our Axis. In addition I find that the eyeline to the dash in the Axis is a bit off: I have to slouch down to fully see some of the gauges.