Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2018, 08:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Need Help With Miserable Ride

Now I admit that much of the problem is with the Kalifoirnia failing infrastructure and concrete slabs but I can’t afford a new rig or to keep throwing money at it getting minimal results, nor can I ford to move to another state. I have a 2015 Hurricane and the ride is miserable at best and the rig is starting to fall apart from the constant jarring caused by road damage and or expansion joints. I am looking for ideas from those that have been there or from those in the industry that may have a solution. I have thought about Sumo Springs Maxims but they seem to have mixed reviews. I have already added Roadmaster sway bars and steering stabilizer, four corner weights and various tire pressures. What more can I do?
Thank you and God Bless.

Also, if it uploads, the video is from my dash cam this last weekend.

brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #2

THOR #2544
The video would not upload but I am still open to ideas. I have lung cancer and no way to know if I will be here another 20 years or gone next year so I have made set a goal to spend as much time with my wife and stepson as possible and the RV is the best way to do that..
Thank you and God Bless!
Old 04-16-2018, 08:32 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
Sumo Springs will make the ride stiffer. Probably not what you're looking for.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:32 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
I agree the California highways are an embarrassment. We have driven north many times in our former DP, and once we settled for awhile in the Northwest somewhere, I would spend days just tightening screws and re-mounting things throughout the rig. Sorry I can't offer much in the way of a solution, but I certainly am sympathetic.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:02 PM   #5

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
All these new fuel taxes and license plate increases are going to fix all the roads. I heard the governor say so.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:30 PM   #6

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Maybe a new set of Koni or similar shocks will help. Sorry to hear about your health and pray you will get the most of your travels in more comfort and safety.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:22 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
How miles on your coach? The OEM shocks are not tuned for an RV and wear out quickly. I read on the forums that aftermarket Bilsteins improve the ride and control somewhat at half the cost of Konis. I too am thinking that Sumos might make the ride harder on a shorter wheelbase.

2018 Hurricane 31S (sold)
mpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:53 AM   #8

THOR #2544
Here is another stab at the video. I think shrinking it may help. This is on a relatively good section of road and the revised video isn't so good but I think you can see what I am talking about. I just don't know if it is possible to improve it or not.

Thank you for the suggestions. I just hit 10,000 miles and I have thought about Koni's but the Motorhome Review said they could make the ride stiffer and I already have that problem so I wasn't sure what to do. Remember the gokarts with no suspension, kind of like my F-53.

My health right now is good, I have some limitations but I am okay with that. I do appreciate the prayers.
Attached Files
Old 04-17-2018, 02:02 AM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
Here is another stab at the video. I think shrinking it may help. This is on a relatively good section of road and the revised video isn't so good but I think you can see what I am talking about. I just don't know if it is possible to improve it or not.

Thank you for the suggestions. I just hit 10,000 miles and I have thought about Koni's but the Motorhome Review said they could make the ride stiffer and I already have that problem so I wasn't sure what to do. Remember the gokarts with no suspension, kind of like my F-53.

My health right now is good, I have some limitations but I am okay with that. I do appreciate the prayers.
Bruce,
There are always items out there to improve the ride on that F53 chassis. I wouldn't throw parts at it, which I quite doing about 30 years ago. Talk to experts and there are some out there. Yes, it will cost you money, but it will be worth it to you for driving pleasure and safety. Private message me and I will give you some additional info if you want to pursue it.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:38 AM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Need Help With Miserable Ride

You might check tire pressure and set according to the placard by the driver’s seat. Oops! Sorry! I see you’ve done that.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:54 AM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
You didnt say what tire pressure you are running.

I run 80-82 lbs. Just installed front sumos and they made the ride a bit stiffer.

Im thinking pressure is to high or shocks are bad.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:25 AM   #12

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Halfprice shares good advice on tire pressure. Our A.C.E.’s placard recommends 82 lbs all around for Gross Axle Weight Ratings of 6,500 front, 11,000 rear. Our actual weights are below these so, like halfprice, I am carrying 82 lbs in all 6 tires. The ride will never be like a limousine but higher pressure will surely rattle your teeth.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #13

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
most of the lousy ride comes from the seat, one not a very good seat but it is directly mounted to the frame and you sit directly above the front axle, so all pounding from the road goes right into the seat.

i took a long trip in my outlaw 37ls and had some back issue's from the constant pounding.

in the process of adding a air ride seat from a semi, not finished with install so that thread is still in the making, but in the world of air ride seats you get what you pay for, my new seat coats $2400 (i install).
Old 04-17-2018, 12:28 PM   #14

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Sorry to hear about your health issues. I threw almost $2,000 at my F-53 suspension before realizing that I was not going to every get the ride and drivability I wanted. Switched to a DP with tag axle and now even roads in California and Illinois are not an issue.

Sorry to have to say this, but IMHO I think you are going to either have to change the roads you are driving on or the RV you are in. How about a nice TT and pickup?
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #15

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post

.....cut...... I have already added Roadmaster sway bars .....cut......

Stiffer sway bars, which I presume yours are (otherwise why would you have replaced OEM), are designed to improve handling by minimizing lean, or body roll. However, that same stiffness doesn’t do anything towards improving a “harsh” ride. If anything, sway bars that are too stiff will make ride harshness worse. That applies to any vehicle.

On some roads it has similar effect as making springs stiffer, or increasing tire pressure. These motorhomes all require compromises, and balancing handling versus ride quality is one of them. On bad roads this becomes more of an issue.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:04 PM   #16

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
All these new fuel taxes and license plate increases are going to fix all the roads. I heard the governor say so.

That's the funniest joke I've heard in a long time! More likely it will go to the welfare of all the illegals in your state.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:32 PM   #17

THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
You didnt say what tire pressure you are running.

I run 80-82 lbs. Just installed front sumos and they made the ride a bit stiffer.

Im thinking pressure is to high or shocks are bad.

Jerry
Did the 4 corner weight thing and am running 82 in front and 85 in rears. Which sumos did you install? I have read that they increase height by about an inch or so. That could help by giving a softer ride like an airbag on small cracks or expansion joints but if it made yours stiffer then I will rule that out.

Thank you.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:38 PM   #18

THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Stiffer sway bars, which I presume yours are (otherwise why would you have replaced OEM), are designed to improve handling by minimizing lean, or body roll. However, that same stiffness doesn’t do anything towards improving a “harsh” ride. If anything, sway bars that are too stiff will make ride harshness worse. That applies to any vehicle.

On some roads it has similar effect as making springs stiffer, or increasing tire pressure. These motorhomes all require compromises, and balancing handling versus ride quality is one of them. On bad roads this becomes more of an issue.
The rear bar was added to help with the violent rocking when exiting driveways at low speeds and tilt when cornering. I came out of the storage lot and broke the bedroom door off the hinges. Side to side movement now is not bad.

Thank you.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:55 PM   #19

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post

That's the funniest joke I've heard in a long time! More likely it will go to the welfare of all the illegals in your state.
And pay for the train to no where.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #20

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Before realizing that I was not going to every get the ride and drivability I wanted. Switched to a DP with tag axle and now even roads in California and Illinois are not an issue.

Sorry to have to say this, but IMHO I think you are going to either have to change the roads you are driving on or the RV you are in.
LOL We did the same with our former coach....Was one of the many many many reasons we spent the kids inheritance on a Foretravel DP with tag axle....
(They can go fund their own retirement....)
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote