Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Quantum
State: California
THOR #9015
Axxera Radio Hood?

We are finding that the Axxera screen for the back up camera is hard to use / see in daylight conditions.

I have heard there is a hood you can mount over / on the radio to help block light and make the screen easier to see / use.

Has anyone found such a thing? If so where did you purchase it?

Old 08-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M_MURPHYS View Post
We are finding that the Axxera screen for the back up camera is hard to use / see in daylight conditions.

I have heard there is a hood you can mount over / on the radio to help block light and make the screen easier to see / use.

A color coordinated 99 cent piece of cardstock and the shape of your choice is the best plan.
It's a nice project for a nine year old grandkid if you have one handy.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:17 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Glare shields are stick-on piece of lightly tinted plastic that you can place directly on the screen. Found mine in Walmart Audio/GPS section and use on the motorcycle GPS with moderate success. Might have to do a web-search to find shields large enough to cover your radio screen.

Don't like it - peel it and can it!

Another thing that might help is check to see if a dirty camera lens cover is the culprit.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:57 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
For under $120, I did this:

I found the Axxera monitor too small, too grainy, and in a terrible location to be used safely.

I'd be happy to share the details if this interests you!
Old 08-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M_MURPHYS View Post

I have a friend with a 3D printer. He has made several useful items for me and something like this would be an easy item to make. And easy to make changes to the design as you see what works and what doesn’t.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #6

THOR #15054
I actually had a product called a sunshade for my old TomTom navigational device. There are still a bunch of them on Amazon. You could check them out there; just type in sunshade for navigation.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
TimmyB, How did you interface the larger screen to the radio. Mine is positioned such that I can not wear sun glasses and see anything on the radio unless I remove them and even then really have to move my head to see what's going on. I like to monitor the toad going down the road.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:23 PM   #8

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
TimmyB, How did you interface the larger screen to the radio. Mine is positioned such that I can not wear sun glasses and see anything on the radio unless I remove them and even then really have to move my head to see what's going on. I like to monitor the toad going down the road.
I'm not sure where your video control splitter is in your rig. In the Vegas/Axis line, there is a removable panel on the dash directly in front of the driver. Taking this off exposes the splitter, which looks like this:

I then removed the three video input cables and put 5-pin to male RCA adapters on them, one of which is pictured above, but not yet connected.

I attached the power cables that came with these adapters:

I connected all three power cables to power and ground, which I obtained by using the power that WAS going to the video splitter box.

Then, I also connected the new monitor to power and ground. Plug in all three yellow video cables and you are good to go. I used a really inexpensive ($70) monitor from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just installed it this week and yesterday I had to take a 200 mile trip with it. It was UNBELIEVABLE, the difference that it made!!! It was just as significant as when you compare a HDTV to an SDTV. I have four bikes on the back of my rig and my two expensive ones I just bought a bike cover for them, so I wanted to see how it was holding up. The view was perfect!!! I can view one camera at a time or all three of my cameras at once. (Actually, it can show all four, if you have that many cameras!)

Let me know if you need any help or more info!

t