Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2022, 07:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Axxera Radio replacement

The Axxera radio in our Axis has a rather bad screen. Also the Apple Car Play is weird. We got it set up (just like we did with our other 2 Fords) and it did not work. We drove about 4 hours and out of the clear blue the Axxera sprang to life with both iPhones connected. Neither of us did anything to make it work.

The worst part of this device is the rear view and turn signal screens are very dark and almost not usable with sunglasses on. So we want to replace it.

Please check me on this:
If we understand correctly we have to replace the total unit and not just the screen. The size is double DIN (sometimes called 2 DIN) and that refers to the size of the box that fits into the dash and not the screen. If we replace it we need a 3 function capable unit for rear/right/left control to show on the screen.

If the above is correct, we would appreciate any suggestions on what unit to buy for a replacement. Car play and excellent daytime viewing of the screen are necessary.

Also, if you have experience taking the radio out and another back in, is this something that a 1/2 capable handyman can do? I can crimp and soldier. I can usually follow directions......sometimes.

Thanks

Old 05-17-2022, 07:38 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Click image for larger version

Name:	1FFF9180-54DB-4A97-B6D7-B601DD79D4D1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	37558

Name:	B8AB11D9-CD3E-43B7-B809-AF05DABB19EB.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	37559My 2021 Axis came with a larger screen than previous models that looks like it was cobbled in place. Also there wa no inside support for the radio box, so every time I hit a bas bump the radio would drop an inch or so down.

So, after trying to find a resolution with Thor warranty service, I epoxied the display in place and braced the radio box with some wire cables. It now holds up ok but it is a jury rig on top of a jury rig.

So I am pretty familiar with how the radio was mounted, or more accurately not mounted. You get to it by removing the black mat, unscrewing a couple of screws and pulling off the plastic cover.

The two pics are before and after installing the cable bracing and the sponge pad- the blue thing to limit bounce. The last pic shows the display. The last pic is upside down- sorry I am struggling to do this with an iPad.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4142FF9B-29BB-42F6-B2DE-402ED3B1C90B.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	37561  
Old 05-17-2022, 07:46 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Eonon or
Itota(probably misspelled)
In my signature thread.

The $900+ kenwood and others add price and nothing else.
Remember that you have a 80+db rv background environment noise going on so the subtlety of headphone laboratory personal perception differential is negated.

Get latest full android release.
It's pretty much a phone with a tuner and 10" screen. I think the ittata still can be had with a 13"rotatable landscape/portrait screen.
Works well with the cameras.
It will work with steering wheel controls or you can buy $30 steering wheel controls as dkoldman did.
If you're crafty it will work with voice commands.

Install is as any double din.
I preferred to drop mine off at the stereo place having them install the stereo and overhead monitors(post 78) while I had a burger at Denny's across the street.

Youtube reviews by the young car customize crowd is your best source for real reviews/installs by people who care too much.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:21 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
You may not care about Android since you stated you use Apple Carplay.

Your RV has no steering wheel controls for the dash radio. Skip that and don't worry about it.

Buy this connector and contacts so you can wire it to your new radio when you choose one and connect it to the RV harness.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079SXZD5M

Old 05-17-2022, 08:26 PM   #5

THOR #13932
You can buy a $30 set of aftermarket steering wheel controls for the radio if you wish to.
They will program to anything Bluetooth so they'll maybe take a snapshot from your dash cam and Sirius along with controlling your phone and radio and apps.

Works with apple car play and android auto as do most/all double din head units of today.

https://www.amazon.com/Artolife-Blue...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.amazon.com/JUNHOM-Univer...%2C966&sr=8-30

I don't have these, dkoldman does.
We never use the radio in the rv and seldom even listen to books while in it.

Old 05-17-2022, 08:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
Please check me on this:
If we understand correctly we have to replace the total unit and not just the screen. The size is double DIN (sometimes called 2 DIN) and that refers to the size of the box that fits into the dash and not the screen. If we replace it we need a 3 function capable unit for rear/right/left control to show on the screen.
No, single video input for the 3 cameras, the switching is done external to the radio so only a single video cable and trigger is attached to the radio.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:07 PM   #7

THOR #13932
[I[/I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
No, single video input for the 3 cameras, the switching is done external to the radio so only a single video cable and trigger is attached to the radio.
The camera controller should be under the removable panel atop your instrument cluster.
Three in, one out.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:58 PM   #8

THOR #24565
This is all making better sense.
Thanks for the 3 into 1 info. I did not know where this took place.

Car Play and 3 way camera monitor is our primary aim. But, as knowledge grows new uses will also.
Need to do some more reading.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:15 PM   #9

THOR #13932
I think you'll have a harder time finding a modern unit that WON'T support both apple and android. And if you do you're just a dongle away from a fix.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:34 PM   #10

THOR #21919
There are 109 double DIN radios on Crutchfield. Of those 109:

67 support Android Auto
70 support Apple Carplay

67 of these support both, 3 are Carplay only. That leaves ~39 that do not support either.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:08 PM   #11

THOR #24565
Sportcoup, you are right. It is my newness to all this that made me think CarPlay was a special feature.

Our search is leading toward a 1 DIN radio.

Have any of you replaced a 2 DIN with 1 DIN?
I think a bracket could be made (even a wooden frame) to support the 1 DIN. Maybe a little trim on the front may be needed.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:26 PM   #12

THOR #13932
Those adapters USED to be standard fare on eBay and Amazon. Perhaps still.

Is there a reason for you to prefer single din over double din?(I dont know which your vehicle uses as standard.)
DIN is GENERALLY only a standardized size that fits car manufacturer spec not a required size to allow stuff to be jammed in. (DIN is short for the name/standardization standard created by a govt standard creating branch of a govt agency of the same name)
(My blazer might use a din and a half unit, I don't quite remember which of my vehcicles does)

Old 05-18-2022, 04:45 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #14921
Duck / Guys -
All great info. One thing that I like about the Axxera is that there’s almost always an icon on the screen that I can press that brings up the rear view camera. I’ve not seen that feature called out in any of the ads or other threads here.
I presume that I could run a switch to my rear camera’s power cable that would turn the camera ON, thereby triggering the radio head to display the camera.
My only real issues with this route might be -
1) More clutter with yet another switch.
2) potential issue with back-feeding 12v to a circuit with unknown consequences such as turning on the backup lights or worse.
My unit is a 2017 Vegas. As far as I’m aware, there is no ability for this older unit to support CarPlay or Android Auto.
I would like to replace the Axxera with something with slightly better audio and need a much better screen as I can’t make out what my 3 cameras are telling me..
Thanks for any insights…
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:05 PM   #14

THOR #13932
The rear view always on is an internal setting on both the three way box and the radio.
You'll see in past posts many axxera folk had to set theirs up to do what yours is doing.
I don't precisely remember the setting on the three way box but it's a switch or a cable position designating the default camera.

Post 695 in my signature thread has all the secret Eonon settings to accomplish what you want to do.
I had to collect those from many places but I'm sure someone on the net has a list like this for almost any radio on the market.
Camera delay and screen choice is likely a standard setting on any modern radio head but it might be a few layers deep.

And
I'm about to pull my radio head out entirely and give it away.
Local radio has no value to us.
Thousands of stations broadcsst over the web.
Our head unit is used solely for apps and maps, no radio.

We're going to use the double din spot as a cubby and use a 10 inch android tablet.(which can be used in the stick house as a live radar display...or a tablet.)
In this day and age a radio head has almost zero value except to hear local advertisements.
We get far better cell coverage than we ever get local radio coverage.

Local radio, typewriter, 3 year old paper map, cassette music tapes, noaa...not entirely useless but not a first choice.

Old 05-18-2022, 05:19 PM   #15

THOR #24565
Din is a German standard for size of hole in a car's dash. The radio industry seems to follow that size. 1 DIN is 1/2 the height of 2 DIN.

A couple radios with features, size and price are 1 DIN. The Axxera is 2 DIN.
1 fits into 2 sized slot but 2 can not fit into a 1.

We are still early in all this and my questions no doubt show my ignorance.

I took off the top hatch on the dash and it is helping me see the radios fitting and wiring. That idea of using the radio opening as a cubby and then mounting a tablet is interesting. I am just now beginning to see how that is possible.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:38 PM   #16

THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Duck / Guys -
All great info. One thing that I like about the Axxera is that there’s almost always an icon on the screen that I can press that brings up the rear view camera. I’ve not seen that feature called out in any of the ads or other threads here.
I presume that I could run a switch to my rear camera’s power cable that would turn the camera ON, thereby triggering the radio head to display the camera.
My only real issues with this route might be -
1) More clutter with yet another switch.
2) potential issue with back-feeding 12v to a circuit with unknown consequences such as turning on the backup lights or worse.
My unit is a 2017 Vegas. As far as I’m aware, there is no ability for this older unit to support CarPlay or Android Auto.
I would like to replace the Axxera with something with slightly better audio and need a much better screen as I can’t make out what my 3 cameras are telling me..
Thanks for any insights…
Yes you can use a switch or diode to turn on the rear camera anytime ignition is on.

I chose a switch. Here is my diagram and the switch I used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082WBQKZ2

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Block Diagram Backup Camera 3-26-22.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	37578  
Old 05-19-2022, 11:32 AM   #17

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I would like to replace our Axxera radio myself. I am confident I can get it done myself without taking it to somebody else, at least, this way I will know what it looks like in there, and how it all hooks up.

Is there a replacement radio that has a compatible plug already attached making it a simple swap, plug and play?

My anxiety makes me feel that the new radio, and the present one, will not be color coded similarly. I do not want to really mess it up by guessing.
The plug Sportcoupe pictured gives me that intimidation. I can solder and build it, but wonder where to get a color code diagram from Axxera to the new radio.

What I want from a new radio is: CD player. AM/FM radio channels. Camera hookup to work with what is in the Thor RV now. I like the ability to switch to rearview camera on screen, but don't quite understand the diagram he posted.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there a simple one to replace what I have now, with the same features, and not be an Axxera radio? I've seen them on Ebay for the $150 range and am just not sure if I'd be just getting what I paid for.

What one do you like for ease of compatible?
Old 05-19-2022, 11:45 AM   #18

THOR #25683
Radios

If you are on Facebook, check out the groups for Thor Vegas/Axis RVs. Several people have changed radios to get the larger screen. The leading contenders have been the Jensen 100 and the Boss10acp series The Boss is a single DIN but there is an adapter on Amazon for $14 that makes installation easy. There are several Utube videos on the installation. The Boss has everything you are asking for and sell for less that $400, the Jensen is the same but sell for just over $450
BTW what part of Kansas do you live?
Old 05-19-2022, 01:20 PM   #19

THOR #24565
We are central KS. McPherson is a shopping area. Wichita for some things.
The above mentioned Jenson and Boss are likely candidates. There may be a newer Jensen 1000 also. Alpine has some nice 1 DIN. Glad to hear about the adapter.

I've been listening and reading. The AXIS we have has an external 3 way switcher for the cameras so our radio only need 1 camera input to see the turn signal cameras and backup. We would like to have Bluetooth Car Play instead of having to plug into the radio with our iPhone. The radio needs a microphone connector so we can make phone calls through the phone. Some radios have USB for music sd cards some do not.

Looking into the dash, the AXXERA has a dozen or more cable connections that are not currently attached.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:19 PM   #20

THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
I would like to replace our Axxera radio myself. I am confident I can get it done myself without taking it to somebody else, at least, this way I will know what it looks like in there, and how it all hooks up.

Is there a replacement radio that has a compatible plug already attached making it a simple swap, plug and play?

My anxiety makes me feel that the new radio, and the present one, will not be color coded similarly. I do not want to really mess it up by guessing.
The plug Sportcoupe pictured gives me that intimidation. I can solder and build it, but wonder where to get a color code diagram from Axxera to the new radio.

What I want from a new radio is: CD player. AM/FM radio channels. Camera hookup to work with what is in the Thor RV now. I like the ability to switch to rearview camera on screen, but don't quite understand the diagram he posted.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there a simple one to replace what I have now, with the same features, and not be an Axxera radio? I've seen them on Ebay for the $150 range and am just not sure if I'd be just getting what I paid for.

What one do you like for ease of compatible?

Radio wire colors are standard. Just match up new radio to how the old radio is wired to the molex connector I posted.

No soldering required.