Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Florida
THOR #1485
Axxera Radio XM Upgrade

My 2015 Chateau 31 W came with the Axxera AV614BH radio in the dash. I am wondering if anyone has added an Sirus/XM radio to this unit. It is not satellite radio ready (surprising since RV's drive across the country). I was thinking about adding the Sirius Onyx Plus Receiver. Anyone have experience doing this?

Old 02-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #1532
In mine, I have the Pioneer radio, but the solution should be the same. Get your Onyx with the car kit, and plug it into the auxiliary input in the front of the radio. I put the suction cup on the windshield for now to hold the radio, but I do plan on permanently mounting it later. You can get a mount specific for your chassis from SiriusXM Satellite Radios, Antennas, Accessories and More | TSS-Radio

Let me know if you have further questions, I've done this in a couple of my trucks.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:51 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you are already paying for Sirius/XM all access (or just paying for a Sirius/XM radio) it may be a bit less expensive to simply upgrade your account to all access and then just use the streaming app on your phone. If you frequently travel in areas with little or no cell phone coverage this option may not apply, though.
As a bonus you can get more channels through the streaming app than you can from the satellite.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:57 AM   #4

THOR #1485
Antenna?

Thanks for the responses. RobbieH, how did you run the satellite antenna? Our coach is a class C and I am not sure about reception unless the antenna is on the roof. Not sure I want to go through that hassle. May prefer the streaming idea but data cost could be an issue. Did you run the antenna to the roof?
Old 02-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #1532
Currently, I have an ugly rig set up that works fairly well. I have the antenna wire bundled up and tied to the arm of the suction cup mount, with the antenna literally taped to the top of the mount. Since I also have a class C, this also is a problem due to the cap. But, I was just reading that you can put the antenna inside the cap on top of a small piece of metal. I think it will be fairly easy to route the wire up through the A pillar, along the top of the door, and up to that area. Once I am sure that this will work, I am thinking I may mount the antenna on top of the TV in the cap. I will probably test this today or tomorrow, so I'll post back when I have a solution.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:59 AM   #6

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
I had Sirius (Backseat TV) in the old class C Sunseeker and simply taped both antenna to separate pieces of metal - each 10 inches by 10 inches. I then taped the antenna to the top of the RV ceiling (inside) and inside the front cabinets over the cab. The metal on bottom of the antenna acted as a reflective ground and help collect the signal. It worked great as the satellite waves went straight thru the wood and rubber roof, and no new holes drilled in the RV rubber roof.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:57 AM   #7

THOR #1485
Fantastic everyone. Thanks! I am ready to give this a try. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feburns View Post
Thanks for the responses. RobbieH, how did you run the satellite antenna? Our coach is a class C and I am not sure about reception unless the antenna is on the roof. Not sure I want to go through that hassle. May prefer the streaming idea but data cost could be an issue. Did you run the antenna to the roof?
On my prior rig, a class c, I ran the antenna along the dash and then outside the door. The magnetic antenna was placed on top of the right front fender about 2 feet down from the windshield. Basically the antenna as positioned outside of the cover of the front cap. The only problem I had with reception was when I was travelling northbound in heavily wooded areas. The reception during these times was a little spotty but not unbearable.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote