Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2020, 02:45 AM   #1

Brand: Livin Lite
State: Colorado
THOR #17801
Backup Camera Installation Issue

While attempting to install an after-market backup camera on my 2015 Four Winds 28A, I discovered an apparent anomaly tapping in to 12 volt power via my marker lights. I spliced the black camera power cord wire to the black marker light wire and the red camera cord wire to the white marker wire. The camera would not power on. I verified the camera worked by next connecting it directly to the 12 volt coach battery. Returning to the tap, and using a volt meter, I checked continuity. I discovered that the black (presumably negative) wires were flowing to the tip (normally positive) of the power cord. And the white/red wires flowed to the sleeve (normally negative). Meantime, the marker lights operated fine. Seems I need to flip the wires feeding my camera but I'm a bit hesitant for obvious reasons. Is it possible that the polarity of my LED marker lights are, in fact, reversed (negative)? I know that Truck-Lite makes LEDs that are polarity neutral. I just don't know if I have them and I don't want to risk blowing up camera in case I'm wrong. Thanks for any help here.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:19 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
12 VDC wiring standard for Black/White wiring is Black is + and White is -.

Your RV light wiring is correct.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:59 AM   #3

THOR #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
12 VDC wiring standard for Black/White wiring is Black is + and White is -.

Your RV light wiring is correct.
Ted, to clarify then, I'm correct to reverse the wires on my camera? A guy from eTrailer sent me the following message, which has confused me:
"Sounds like the issue is the ground circuit for the backup camera you have on your RV. The power wire seems to be working just fine and connected properly so that would leave the ground as the most likely issue. Make sure the ground wire you are using for the camera is connected solidly and if that doesn't work try running a jumper wire from the wire to a metal portion of the trailer frame."
Old 01-16-2020, 04:06 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4clark5 View Post
Ted, to clarify then, I'm correct to reverse the wires on my camera? A guy from eTrailer sent me the following message, which has confused me:
"Sounds like the issue is the ground circuit for the backup camera you have on your RV. The power wire seems to be working just fine and connected properly so that would leave the ground as the most likely issue. Make sure the ground wire you are using for the camera is connected solidly and if that doesn't work try running a jumper wire from the wire to a metal portion of the trailer frame."
Red goes to black
Black goes to white.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:12 AM   #5

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
It's a Voltmeter!

Quote:
Returning to the tap, and using a volt meter, I checked continuity.
THAT is pretty bass-ackwards if you ask me. Why, why, why, would you not check the voltage and polarity with the voltmeter?

Stay cool
Old 01-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #6

THOR #17801
OldWeb: I’m still attending The School of Hard Knocks. Thanks for another well deserved back-hand!
Old 01-16-2020, 11:51 PM   #7

THOR #17801
Thank you Ted and OldWeb. Wisdom received. The color coding, however, is different than what I was used to: RVs white / red goes to ground; black / green goes to power. Camera powers right up. Four bars of signal strength received in the cab monitor. Still enrolled in The School of Hard Knocks where there are no graduates and no degrees because the learning never ends.

Tags
camera, polarity, wiring