Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2021, 12:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Vegas 25.2
State: British Columbia
THOR #10392
Installing Shelves in Closet/Wardrobe

We are planning to install some lightweight shelving in the closet/wardrobe in our RV - likely Rubbermaid wire shelf.

We will use screws to attach the brackets to the back and sides of the closet.

Our concern is whether or not there is any wiring behind any of the closet walls.

Has anyone done something similar?

Any advice / suggestions?

Old 09-27-2021, 01:40 AM   #2
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Most trailers and a lot of RV's are constructed using a lot of wood 2x2's and aluminum or steel studs. You can use a stud finder to locate the studs behind the walls. Get one that can detect metal as well as wood studs.

The closets usually do not have 120VAC wiring, but a good sensitive non contact wiring tracer should tell you if an AC wire is close to the wall. If you do not have an AC socket near the closet, it is less likely there is AC wiring behind it. This has been my experience with a Class C, fifth wheel, and now a Class A. So use a good sensitive non contact AC voltage sensor to check. I also use it to check for hot skin when I plug into a park post.

12VDC usually is run through the ceiling to the lights and through the end sections of the cabinets to the switches. If there is a switch on the ceiling light, all wiring to it is through the ceiling. Each manufacture may do this differently, but this has been my experience. A lot of cabinets are screwed or stapled together. It maybe necessary to pull a panel to check. I have done so in my old Class C and fifth wheel. In my class A, I do have routing of AC, 12VDC, RF, and HDMI cables in various areas behind the cabinets. I have removed some panels to check so I know.

In my Class A, I do have 120V sockets the base of a shirt closet on both sides of our queen bed. I have not checked with the non contact AC checker to see how the wiring is routed though. I only have 12DC lights in the other two side full length closets, but I would not assume that there is no wiring behind them until I would fully check them.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:36 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
You should be able to pull the wiring schematics for your coach here, which should help with determining if there are likely wire runs.
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-login/
Old 09-27-2021, 04:56 PM   #4

THOR #10392
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
You should be able to pull the wiring schematics for your coach here, which should help with determining if there are likely wire runs.
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-login/
Thank you!
We will definitely look at those schematics!
Old 09-27-2021, 09:07 PM   #5

THOR #10392
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
Most trailers and a lot of RV's are constructed using a lot of wood 2x2's and aluminum or steel studs. You can use a stud finder to locate the studs behind the walls. Get one that can detect metal as well as wood studs.

The closets usually do not have 120VAC wiring, but a good sensitive non contact wiring tracer should tell you if an AC wire is close to the wall. If you do not have an AC socket near the closet, it is less likely there is AC wiring behind it. This has been my experience with a Class C, fifth wheel, and now a Class A. So use a good sensitive non contact AC voltage sensor to check. I also use it to check for hot skin when I plug into a park post.

12VDC usually is run through the ceiling to the lights and through the end sections of the cabinets to the switches. If there is a switch on the ceiling light, all wiring to it is through the ceiling. Each manufacture may do this differently, but this has been my experience. A lot of cabinets are screwed or stapled together. It maybe necessary to pull a panel to check. I have done so in my old Class C and fifth wheel. In my class A, I do have routing of AC, 12VDC, RF, and HDMI cables in various areas behind the cabinets. I have removed some panels to check so I know.

In my Class A, I do have 120V sockets the base of a shirt closet on both sides of our queen bed. I have not checked with the non contact AC checker to see how the wiring is routed though. I only have 12DC lights in the other two side full length closets, but I would not assume that there is no wiring behind them until I would fully check them.
Thank you - good insights!
This something we want to be cautious with!