Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2016, 11:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Basement Locks and the common key - changed

OK, so this has been going around for sometime. Changed mine today to the tube locks and a micro switch was added to the door to know when it is being opened. That micro switch is tied into the MH alarm system. It won't keep someone out no matter what you do, but at least it will get someone's attention if they try.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:15 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
What are you using for your MH alarm??
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:24 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Which tube locks did you use?
Old 11-02-2016, 11:50 PM   #4

THOR #3195
I have a viper 1000, I wasn't interested in the auto engine start in fact I didn't want it to do it. I wanted control of the engine. so they hooked up a straight forward alarm system including the two cab doors and the entry door. I just went today and had them add micros to the basement doors (all of them).

As far as tube locks Kingsley Tubular Cam Locks, all keyed alike. Off of Amazon. Took about 45 minutes to do all 6. I put two on the outside TV and moved the twist lock to the middle.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
I have a viper 1000, I wasn't interested in the auto engine start in fact I didn't want it to do it. I wanted control of the engine. so they hooked up a straight forward alarm system including the two cab doors and the entry door. I just went today and had them add micros to the basement doors (all of them).

As far as tube locks Kingsley Tubular Cam Locks, all keyed alike. Off of Amazon. Took about 45 minutes to do all 6. I put two on the outside TV and moved the twist lock to the middle.
ballpark, how much did that set you back for an alarm system?
Old 11-04-2016, 02:20 AM   #6

THOR #3195
You know what I dislike about giving prices, you are others are probably going to come up with I overpaid LOL, anyway, I don't mind telling you. The viper unit itself was 475 installed, with the two doors and the cabin door. When I took it back for them to do the micro switches, I installed all the switches, and they did the wiring, that was an additional 200.00. They spend all morning doing that. They also know how I am about doing a clean looking job.

After reading the instructions, I could have done it myself, but I just didn't want to.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
You know what I dislike about giving prices, you are others are probably going to come up with I overpaid LOL, anyway, I don't mind telling you. The viper unit itself was 475 installed, with the two doors and the cabin door. When I took it back for them to do the micro switches, I installed all the switches, and they did the wiring, that was an additional 200.00. They spend all morning doing that. They also know how I am about doing a clean looking job.

After reading the instructions, I could have done it myself, but I just didn't want to.
Yes, I appreciate that fact.... and no, i wouldn't say that at all. The reason I asked is I have no idea what an aftermarket alarm system in a car or anything like it goes for.
I have thought that an alarm system might not be a bad idea since I park my coach in a remote lot that honestly isn't all that secure.

so now I know... one example anyway... Thanks.
I'm assuming by your example, the $475 portion is a basic car alarm that would cover the entry doors, motion to detect towing, etc....perhaps disable the engine
Old 11-06-2016, 05:58 AM   #8

THOR #3195
Yes, minus the start your engine from away mode. I won't have that.