Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2016, 04:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34P
State: California
THOR #5941
Bathroom fan

The switch for the exhaust fan in the bathroom is located right on the fan, which is way to high for my wife or son to reach.

I am thinking about trying to relocate the switch or add a bluetooth control switch to turn the fan on or off.

I appears that the switch has a single black wire running to it. I can also see a white wire that runs just to the fan motor. I am wondering of the switch on the fan makes/breaks a ground connection, vs. acting as a switch for the positive side. I am assuming the fan is DC powered (but not sure) since there are only two wires that I can see.

Has anyone tried relocating their bathroom fan switch?

Old 12-15-2016, 04:54 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
it most certainly is DC

One option would be to go with one of the many remote operated fans. Would get much better performance too, assuming your is the cheap OEM fan....
such as one of these
Maxxair - High Powered Ceiling Fans for RVs | Airxcel
Old 12-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The fan is DC and the switch controls the positive wire. RVs are strange in that white = ground, and black = 12V for the 12V wiring (the basic idea is that white = neutral and black = L1 in house wiring).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
My wife has the same issue. Can't reach the vent to open it and can't reach the switch to turn the fan on/off. If someone finds a quick easy solution, interested in hearing more. I thought about moving the fan switch to the wall but that would most likely require an exposed wire across the ceiling. Not a fan (no pun intended) of that idea. As for opening and closing the vent, we usually leave it open all the time since all vents on my coach have weatherproof covers.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 34P
State: California
THOR #5941
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
it most certainly is DC

One option would be to go with one of the many remote operated fans. Would get much better performance too, assuming your is the cheap OEM fan....
such as one of these
Maxxair - High Powered Ceiling Fans for RVs | Airxcel
Thanks for the link. The MAXFANN Deluxe with remote seems the best way to go.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:09 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I changed out the round knob for a crank. I cut about a 1 1/2 inch notch in 3/4 inch pvc that just fits on the crank, on the other end I put #10 screw thru a cap with an acorn nut on to, glued that on the pipe. Pipe is about 18" long, I glued a rubber cap from an old vacuum line on the acorn nut. Now my wife can use the notched end to open vent and other end to operate switch. Works good and she likes it! Had scraps in the garage to build it. Says she can also use it to whack me if I act up???
Old 12-15-2016, 10:46 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Lightbulb

we decided to use a simple on/off pull switch, found at any hardware store, with white cord that hangs down 2' or so and is perfect - just pull on or pull off - and easy to install in place of the original 12v switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pull switch.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	3559  
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:19 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I changed out the round knob for a crank. I cut about a 1 1/2 inch notch in 3/4 inch pvc that just fits on the crank, on the other end I put #10 screw thru a cap with an acorn nut on to, glued that on the pipe. Pipe is about 18" long, I glued a rubber cap from an old vacuum line on the acorn nut. Now my wife can use the notched end to open vent and other end to operate switch. Works good and she likes it! Had scraps in the garage to build it. Says she can also use it to whack me if I act up???
Good old MacGyver....
Old 12-16-2016, 12:41 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I installed a wall switch for my bathroom fan. Although my wife and I could reach it, I wanted to reach it while sitting down, for obvious reasons. The difficult part is routing the wire inside the ceiling and the wall. Every RV is different. You will have to find a way to run 2 wires from the light to the switch location, or one wire from a 12v source and one wire from the light to the switch.

It may not be easy.

Edit: While I was at it, I put in a timer for the fan and switches for the ceiling and cabinet lights, all in the same wall location.