Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2022, 08:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane
State: Arizona
THOR #22699
Coach Batteries Leaking/Converter

Hello,

We have a 2017 Hurricane 31s with aprox. 12K miles. I recently noticed our coach batteries were leaking and causing corrosion on the terminals and tray I removed the batteries and checked water levels (all good) I then tested the voltage and also took them into a shop to be tested just in case (both batteries were good to go).

I have read that our converter may be causing overcharging. We have a 3 stage converter. Does anyone have recommendations for new converter if needed. TYIA

John Adams
USA, Ret

Old 04-30-2022, 11:26 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
After verification of your charger profile, change to AGM batteries

Might consider an inverter such as Magnum
Old 05-01-2022, 12:00 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
If you discharge your batteries 50% regularly, the Bulk mode is going to cause some gassing and some leakage is normal with wet batteries. With that leakage, you’ll have corrosion. This is also why you need to check the cells and add water occasionally to prevent the cells from becoming dry and being permanently damaged.

The only way to avoid that is switching to AGM batteries or going to the nuclear option of LiFePO4 batteries.
Old 05-01-2022, 01:34 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
If you are keeping the wet lead acid batteries, you might want to consider adding the Flow Rite battery hydration system. The kit comes with all of the necessary parts except the water hand pump that is sold separately. The kit comes with new replacement battery tops that connect to each other. You never have to open the tops of the battery again to check the water level, just pump the distilled water directly into each cell and it stops when full. You can buy a kit for a single 12 volt battery, dual 12 volt batteries or dual 6 volt golf cart batteries. I put it on my two 6 volt golf cart coach batteries and one on my single 12 chassis battery. Bought them on Amazon.

Paul
Old 05-01-2022, 03:11 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
If you are keeping the wet lead acid batteries, you might want to consider adding the Flow Rite battery hydration system. The kit comes with all of the necessary parts except the water hand pump that is sold separately. The kit comes with new replacement battery tops that connect to each other. You never have to open the tops of the battery again to check the water level, just pump the distilled water directly into each cell and it stops when full. You can buy a kit for a single 12 volt battery, dual 12 volt batteries or dual 6 volt golf cart batteries. I put it on my two 6 volt golf cart coach batteries and one on my single 12 chassis battery. Bought them on Amazon.

Paul
Have the same system. As we don't off grid enough to warrant the cost of AGM's the Flow Rite hydration system works great for us.

Also, your batteries are not actually leaking, they are off gassing when they charge. As Judge said this is normal for an FLA battery. You can eliminate a lot of the corrosion on the terminals by stopping at any auto parts store and getting a tube of dielectric grease to coat the battery terminals with. You got good advise about keeping batteries fully watered and fully charged, that will cut down on the amount of gassing a battery does and cut down on the corrosion.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:40 AM   #6

THOR #22699
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your feedback and advice, any chance you would have a link to the system you suggested?
Old 05-05-2022, 12:46 AM   #7

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-MP2...%3D%3D&sr=8-24
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:47 AM   #8

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Be sure to order the pump bulb as well
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:59 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJOHN View Post
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your feedback and advice, any chance you would have a link to the system you suggested?
Try RV-upgrades. Be sure you get the 12 volt battery type for standard group 27 batteries
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:15 AM   #10

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Amazon has the Flow Rite battery Hydration system. If you only have one 12 volt lead acid battery just get the single unit. If you have two 12 volt lead acid batteries get the dual system. On my new motor home, I have two 6 volt golf cart batteries for the coach and a single 12 volt lead acid chassis battery. I bought both systems (dual golf cart system and single lead acid system) for it. I already had the bulb hand pump that I can use on both systems. There are YouTube videos on how to install/use. You just replace the battery caps with the system replacement caps and tubing.

Paul
Old 05-05-2022, 03:47 PM   #11

THOR #22699
Thank you for your feedback and suggestion.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:50 PM   #12

THOR #22699
Thank you, I will look at RVUpgrades asap.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:51 PM   #13

THOR #22699
Thank you
Old 05-08-2022, 02:04 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
THOR #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Have the same system. As we don't off grid enough to warrant the cost of AGM's the Flow Rite hydration system works great for us.
The big pain with current watering systems is you have to manually lug a gallon of distilled water around with a hose and a pump. If you don't remember to do that periodically, the batteries still dry up. And, I suspect that battery fluid actually evaporates faster with a watering system because there are more opportunities for venting and leakage.

Maybe someday, somebody will design an automatic watering system with a water reservoir. That would keep the batteries topped off automatically and you might only have to refill the reservoir once or twice a year.

Until that day comes, AGM batteries are maintenance-free, pain-free, worry-free, and hassle-free.
Old 05-08-2022, 03:34 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I went the AGM route last spring. I got tired of the corrosion from the out gassing of the FLAs. Prior to the AGMs I had to remove the batteries and clean the compartment every 3 or 4 months. I tried plastic battery trays, various sprays on the connectors but nothing worked against the out gassing. Since the switch to AGM, not a spot of corrosion and no hassle with watering. You can spend the money on a watering system, but you will still get the out gassing and corrosion.
And you will still have to lug around water and check and fill. Switch to AGM and it is practically a set it and forget it proposition.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 04:17 PM   #16

THOR #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Switch to AGM and it is practically a set it and forget it proposition.
I'm not suggesting that everybody toss their FLA batteries into the trash immediately. The best plan is to take good care of them until they won't hold a charge anymore.

But, when it comes time to replace those worn out batteries, there is practically no good reason NOT to change over to AGM unless you are indigent. The additional expense is soooo worth what you get in return. The charging profile is identical to FLA so you won't even need to adjust the converter/charger.

When my four AGM batteries decide to die, I'll replace them with three LiFePO4 batteries, which will actually increase my useable capacity from 200 to 240 ah. Then I'll do my best to outlive them, which I expect to take more than 10 years.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:07 PM   #17

THOR #6411
Remember not all flooded batteries use antimony in the lead alloy and paste. The reason the AGMs are in the VRLA family is they alloy the lead with calcium which stops the out-gassing if the max charging voltage is kept below 14.4 volts. There are plenty of flooded batteries with plates made lead-calcium alloy. They are still flooded batteries but do not out-gas nor do they require watering if used with the three mode charger. They are no more expensive than the typical antimony-lead flooded battery, as they are made on the same production line using the same machinery. Typically the batteries are used with electric trolling motors and are recommended for RV house batteries also.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:32 PM   #18

THOR #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Remember not all flooded batteries use antimony in the lead alloy and paste. The reason the AGMs are in the VRLA family is they alloy the lead with calcium which stops the out-gassing if the max charging voltage is kept below 14.4 volts. There are plenty of flooded batteries with plates made lead-calcium alloy.
This is new information for me.
You're saying there is a such thing as a non-antimony FLA battery?
and it costs about the same as a standard FLA battery?

Are the specs and characteristics more similar to an AGM or a standard FLA battery?
Where you do you find one of these things? What do they call it?
Old 05-09-2022, 08:55 PM   #19

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley1 View Post
This is new information for me.
You're saying there is a such thing as a non-antimony FLA battery?
and it costs about the same as a standard FLA battery?

Are the specs and characteristics more similar to an AGM or a standard FLA battery?
Where you do you find one of these things? What do they call it?

From Walmart on their EverStart marine battery.
Stay on the go with this EverStart Lead Acid Marine/RV Deep Cycle Battery, Group Size 29DC. It's designed for use with a boat or an RV and is rated at 845 MCA and 122 amp hour. This EverStart battery features improved cycling capacity extending the amount of time it will last. This means it will allow a boat to stay out on the water for a longer time.

EverStart Lead Acid Marine/RV Deep Cycle Battery, Group Size 29DC:
  • 1 Year free replacement warranty
  • 12-volt marine deep cycle battery
  • 845 MCA
  • 122 amp hour
  • Dual post
  • Superior cycling and recharge capabilities
  • Battery is maintenance free under normal operating conditions
  • Free battery testing and installation at your local Walmart Auto Care Center.
Product endorsement. I have two Everstart group 29DC for 4 years. They have never need water even though I have my old Flow-Rite hooked up. They will run the portable inverter, outside fridge, ice maker. water pump and lights for a 30 hours without starting the generator. Be aware they are 3/4" longer than group 27s and are a tight fit on my coach.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:38 AM   #20
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley1 View Post
The big pain with current watering systems is you have to manually lug a gallon of distilled water around with a hose and a pump. If you don't remember to do that periodically, the batteries still dry up. And, I suspect that battery fluid actually evaporates faster with a watering system because there are more opportunities for venting and leakage.

Maybe someday, somebody will design an automatic watering system with a water reservoir. That would keep the batteries topped off automatically and you might only have to refill the reservoir once or twice a year.

Until that day comes, AGM batteries are maintenance-free, pain-free, worry-free, and hassle-free.
The caps watering system was out of stock when I went to purchase them. Do to COVID-19 it staid out of stock. So I opted to get the float caps that show me the level in each cell. I also have a heck of a time finding distilled water. Always out of stock. I purchased a water distiller and have plenty on hand. I only need to top off the batteries once a year so far. I use a battery filler. Tops each cell off quickly.