Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2022, 04:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Jersey
THOR #5172
battery solenoid elimination

wiring diagram showing how to eliminate chassie battery solenoid

Old 10-07-2022, 05:03 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
One way is to replace it it with a manual switch. Otherwise ???

David
Old 10-07-2022, 05:35 PM   #3

THOR #5172
Here is the situation I recently bought this RV and the previous owner bypassed the chassis on/off switch located at the stairs. I am trying to reconnect it so the switch operates, but cannot locate the solenoids. there should be 2 one for house and one for chassis batteries. It is a 2006 Thor hurricane 32D
Old 10-07-2022, 05:35 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Why would you?
Old 10-07-2022, 06:09 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD Performance View Post
Here is the situation I recently bought this RV and the previous owner bypassed the chassis on/off switch located at the stairs. I am trying to reconnect it so the switch operates, but cannot locate the solenoids. there should be 2 one for house and one for chassis batteries. It is a 2006 Thor hurricane 32D
Should have led with this.

So the house disconnect switch works but the chassis latching relay is "bypassed"?
The house latching relay is normally near the power center - behind/beside it.

The chassis latching relay is normally near the chassis battery - follow the positive cable.

The relay may stille be there with either the control wires disconnected or both main wires on the same post. Or it may be removed with the main wires bolted together, or the + cable may have been completely replaced with a longer cable.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:52 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
If the momentary contact switch was bypassed that is almost certainly going to burn out the latching relay. That relay is not designed to have continuous switching power applied to it. Thus it uses a momentary contact switch. If power is applied continuously to that relay to keep it switched, it will burn out.

David
Old 10-07-2022, 09:02 PM   #7

THOR #5172
Thanks for the replys, I found them in the Battery Control Center. The reason this was done, and there is a thread on this site about it, is there are several cases where the chassis solenoid was defective and would, while the veh. was traveling down the road shut off the chassis power thus shutting down ignition, power steering, power brakes etc so it was bypassed.
Old 10-08-2022, 12:39 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Thanks for the replys, I found them in the Battery Control Center. The reason this was done, and there is a thread on this site about it, is there are several cases where the chassis solenoid was defective and would, while the veh. was traveling down the road shut off the chassis power thus shutting down ignition, power steering, power brakes etc so it was bypassed.
If all the wiring is still there, I would suggest A BIM attached to the chassis battery will do what you want.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 02:03 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Ahhh, yes. 2006 = BCC
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 03:05 AM   #10

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Quote:
So let me get this straight... you want to un-recall a recall of a known danger?
The greatest danger with this is if the unit is heading down a steep grade when/if the engine dies... the motor/tranny would then not help with the braking.

Well, here is the recall for our unit, FW-2050, with schematics, the BCC is located under the hood on ours.
https://rvcustomproducts.com/fw-2050

Knock yerself out (and any body in the unit).