Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2018, 11:08 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We're looking to make a deal om a new rig this next week, and the coach is equipped with Duracell batteries!

But I don't believe that they are AGMs...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:19 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Wisconsin
THOR #11120
Bob

Going to guess not just because these would be the last things a manufacturer would upgrade. Hope you enjoy your new coach. You might ask the dealer what the upgrade would cost.

Sams club. Duracell AGM 180.00 per. Regular Duracell RV batteries are 100.00
Old 10-14-2018, 12:38 AM   #23

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Bob,

Does Mercedes use Duracell?
Old 10-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #24

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I've had two AGM 12-volt coach batteries for more than a year and I like them. The storage capacity is much higher than the flooded wet cells. I don't trust the battery charger in the RV for long term maintenance, so I purchased a battery maintainer specifically for AGM batteries. I bought the AGM batteries at Batteries plus Bulbs. They were not cheap, but appear to be high quality, since the terminal posts are brass.

I have a battery shut-off switch that I use to isolate the AGM batteries from the RV when storing and maintaining the batteries. The engine battery is on a "Battery Tender Jr.".
Old 10-20-2018, 10:55 PM   #25

State: Utah
THOR #3257
Battery Upgrade

We upgraded this year to 12V AGM's on our Thor Chateau. Easy to do yourself just label everything on the old battery lines as you disconnect. We had a bad cell on the original batteries and our inverter would not hold a charge to run refridgerator while driving. Hit and miss. New batteries work great and no issues.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:16 AM   #26

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Oregon
THOR #5953
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
If it makes you feel better, I spoke with Worldwide Battery a few weeks ago who advised me to go with two 12 volt AGM Group 31 versus the 6volt batteries in series.
I own a 2017 29.3 ACE and love it. So far after 2 years the batteries have held up quite well for us, I suspect since most of the time we keep they topped off on shore power and have kept the water levels correct. However, I've always heard it is best to go with 2 6V batteries in series since they will deliver more capacity that way, because 2 batteries would have just 6 cells between them instead of 12. There is also quite enough room for much wider batteries in the compartment, and I've even considered getting another 12V battery to place across 2 6V since it appears there would be room available.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:32 AM   #27

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohn57 View Post
I own a 2017 29.3 ACE and love it. So far after 2 years the batteries have held up quite well for us, I suspect since most of the time we keep they topped off on shore power and have kept the water levels correct. However, I've always heard it is best to go with 2 6V batteries in series since they will deliver more capacity that way, because 2 batteries would have just 6 cells between them instead of 12. There is also quite enough room for much wider batteries in the compartment, and I've even considered getting another 12V battery to place across 2 6V since it appears there would be room available.
I would love your opinion on below new thread, I just created.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...tml#post150415

I have heard similar about 6 volts batteries, but I think for the ACE 29.3 you are better off with 2 or 3 Group 31s. 2 Group 31s 12v are about the same as 2 6V deep cycle. I don't think you want to try to cross one 12v with two 6v. The 6volts are in series; so I thought you had to have 2 sets of 6volts in series then connected in parallel with each other? Since that unit does not have room for four 6 volts, I would go with 3 Group 31s for that unit.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #28

Model: Ace 29.4
THOR #6366
Battery website

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._glass_mat_agm

Here's a good explanation and comparison of batteries.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #29

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenzOmatic View Post
On my rig that is the master batt shut off. Make sure it is reset or many things will not work...

wenz
Yeah, that's one thing to make sure the flag is in. Couple things I learned when one of my batteries cracked open and acid went all over. When you take off the cables from each post, zip tie the ends together and get some red and black tape to put on each cable to remember what is positive and what's negative, then loosen the next one and repeat. The black plastic cover and the red lugs will fool you but if not sure, peal back the plastic covering to see if the cable is red or black. I got the hold down strap loosened and it came apart, so I sewed It back together, then when getting something at Walmart, they have these by the hundred. I removed both batteries and washed out the compartment with water and baking soda and I added a piece of plywood underneath the battery in the rear (the plywood makes the battery in the front too close to that C/B you mentioned though) and since I was there I checked the hydraulic fluid in the slide motor. It's very hard to see but lay the stick on a paper towel and then you can see the quantity better. Whew! That's was a lot of work there. Also found that the Coleman camp stools are good chairs to sit on and since I am over the hill and carrying the batteries is too much work, I just got an old radio flyer wagon to carry them from my truck to my RV. And last thing you do is remember to wash your hands cause this stuff can get in places you don't want it to, eyes clothes...etc.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWelsch View Post
Duracell SLI 31 AGM. Hopefully will give more storage capacity and last longer. Will see.
My new rig is coming with a pair of Duracell batteries under the steps.
But I sort of doubt that they'll be AGM batteries.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:38 PM   #31

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yep, you have to keep up on the cables and battery care. That why I love my AGM. Much easier. But I always check connection every few month.

Bob, What RV did you purchase? MB Sprinter? What model #?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:45 PM   #32

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Earlier in the thread a temperature comment was made regarding high temp for AGM

My T105 AGM has a recommended range of -4 to 113 so not dessert camp suited but should work for most
Old 10-27-2018, 10:26 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If it's that hot or that cold: I'm staying inside, and let the RV fend for itself!
Old 10-27-2018, 10:27 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Bob,

Does Mercedes use Duracell?
Sorry that I missed this earlier