Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #1

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Tire pressure

Is a tire pressure sensor system worth the money
If so can you recommend a good one.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:30 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Here's some good info from this forum on TPMs:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...tors-1384.html

I have the EEZ tire which is the same as the one FW28Z mentions and it works well. Gives some peace of mind.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:53 PM   #3

Brand: Entegra
Model: 34B
State: New Jersey
THOR #3523
I have a TST system and I think it is definitely worth it
Truck System Technologies
Old 01-21-2016, 12:54 AM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I thought they were worth enough peace of mind to buy one recently... Went with the TireMinder system - but I'm sure others are good as well.

I monitor 6 tires on the RV and 4 on the toad.. (unit will monitor up to 22) While I certainly wanted to know if something was going wrong with the RV tires - not being in the toad I felt there was a good chance something bad could happen back there - and be made worse by continuing on... (didn't help that my last long trip was without my rear camera - thank you Jensen blank screen... even happier I had the TPMS.)
The simple 'disconnect' feature to temporarily disable the RV or toad monitoring (when leaving one behind) was nice... (of course the manual says if the toad tires alarm as missing - and you didn't knowingly leave it behind - you might want to stop and go find it... )

Some options to consider:
Type of sensors - 'normal' or 'flow thru' sensors... I went with the normal - I have to remove them to add/remove air. The 'flow thru' allow you to add/remove air without removal.

Type of valves (applies to toad..) - cars with built in tire pressure monitors use a different metal in the valve stem that reacts with some sensors... TireMinder (and I assume others) make special sensors to use on these wheels.

Installation/setup was easy... A 12v powered booster to place (mine is in rearmost utility storage bin tapped off the light power - unswitched). Then setting your config (number of tires and positions) - and placing each sensor on so the unit knows what is where.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:42 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
good items to consider from gmc

I have a system form tst, and like it.
I went with the flow through cells thinking it might make life easier since they would be inboard for the inner dual rear wheels. and I liked the idea of user replaceable batteries.

additional thoughts:
I found that the fish hook valve extensions on my outer rears would spin around from the weight of the sensor.
I bought some of the rubber grommet inserts to support the extensions through the wheels holes, and some long straight rigid extensions for the inners.... all to give better support for the sensors and for easier access.

With TST's the user replaceable sensors are toughted to have a battery life of approx 10 months, which seems about right
their sensors without replaceable batteries have a battery life measured in years they claim.
I regret buying the ones I did. i think I would rather have longer life, and with good valve extensions the flow through isn't much of an advantage.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:36 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post

It could save your life.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:48 AM   #7
gmc

THOR #2829
blw2 mentioned another consideration I missed - user replaceable batteries or not...
I went with the user replaceable... In the case of TireMinder (at least) - if you remove the sensor - it stops transmitting saving battery (mark where it came from so they go back on same tires) - and if you register your unit - you get free lifetime batteries...

Greg
Old 03-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 35HT
State: Maryland
THOR #1875
I use a TST system. Fairly inexpensive and it works great. Provided tire pressure and temp.
2015 Thor Challenger 35HT
jrben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:30 PM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
You'll probably know if you have a flat on your coach, but maybe not until the tire is ruined. Now, your toad is a different story. If nobody flags you down, you might ruin the tire, the wheel and who knows what else!
Old 03-14-2016, 11:48 PM   #10
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
You'll probably know if you have a flat on your coach, but maybe not until the tire is ruined. Now, your toad is a different story. If nobody flags you down, you might ruin the tire, the wheel and who knows what else!
In the ideal case - the tpms system will let you know BEFORE you have a flat... (excluding road hazzard of course - it can't see that coming...)
You should see either high pressure or high temperature warnings BEFORE the tire goes boom - and let you get off the road to check it out.

For the toad - absolutely right... Thanks to my Jensen 210T I had to make my 1000 mile trek to FL without my rear camera watching the toad... The TPMS made sure I had no issues I couldn't see or feel... Wouldn't have wanted to do that without it.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:24 AM   #11

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
In the ideal case - the tpms system will let you know BEFORE you have a flat... (excluding road hazzard of course - it can't see that coming...) You should see either high pressure or high temperature warnings BEFORE the tire goes boom - and let you get off the road to check it out.

I agree, and that's why I have had TST for years. To the OP, it's all about peace of mind. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones and never have a problem in the middle of nowhere, then again...(refer to my tag line.)
Old 03-31-2016, 06:32 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Maryland
THOR #2083
TST model 507 is what we use and very happy with it.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:29 AM   #13

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: South Carolina
THOR #4142
We use the EEZTPMS, 6 on the RV and 4 on the toad. Works great and helps to alleviate a little stress about your tires while on the road.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:29 PM   #14

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #4119
tire pressure monitoring system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
We use Cats-Eyes TPMS for our duallies. It is an easy install and simply works by tire pressure. It is worth considering.

I just monitor the front tires the old fashion way.