Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2021, 01:06 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
I have used AGM and Gel in my GEM cars for many years

First change out was years ago with 6 Sams AGM

They replaced Gel

Btw. I sold the cores at that time for salvage higher than core charges, core charges are higher now

The Trojans installed 5 years later are still performing

They often get discharged to the 30% range and recover

I use the Trojan T105 AGM in the Tuscany however only three years

They Have been discharged overnight several times keeping the heat on before generator time

Cost more but so far excellent batteries

I have used a few of the "no names" in toys due to delivery, cost, and no core charge

They have proven to be a good value where maximum performance wasn't required

Old 12-07-2021, 03:07 PM   #22

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Those Duracells are what I was going to buy originally. Went to a Sam's where they had plenty in stock, put two in the cart to check out and learned that I had to pay the core charge I had not taken the other batteries out.

So I go home empty handy, but by chance on a SOB forum board I got to reading a lively discussion about Dual Purpose AGMs vs Pure AGMs. That same night I saw the vMax Tanks on Amazon. Called vMax tank to get the facts straight and then I learned I was able to order the vMax Tanks online, no shipping cost, no core and no tax. So net net out the door back then it was only about $90 difference, but I got 125ah vs 110ah, Batteries shipped to my front door and I had a chance to sell my FLA (but no one wanted them

But a big advantage to me beside the number of lifecycles is the fact that the pure AGMS do not come with the automotive posts. You should NEVER need automotive post so why are they there? Just to get in your way and easy to spark by accidental touching etc.

Quite frankly I am not sure of any battery that is for sale that is a bad, just a question of what do you need and how can you maximize? I wanted maximum ahs and got it. 125 AHs each. VMax had a Golf cart battery at 135ahs that cost more, but the Engineer at VMax told me for an RV application the SLR model at 125ahs was going to give me more overall capacity and be cheaper. I wish I could remember why, but he didn't have to say it twice since less money was involved; I order on the same call.
Wow I will call vmax to check on group 31 pricing shipping..will be in TN 17th to 31st
Old 12-07-2021, 03:16 PM   #23

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Wow I will call vmax to check on group 31 pricing shipping..will be in TN 17th to 31st
Called $293 each. He said all deep cycle agm should be 100 to 120 AH
Old 12-07-2021, 10:21 PM   #24

THOR #20220
Quote:
Those Duracells are what I was going to buy originally. Went to a Sam's where they had plenty in stock, put two in the cart to check out and learned that I had to pay the core charge I had not taken the other batteries out.

So I go home empty handy, but by chance on a SOB forum board I got to reading a lively discussion about Dual Purpose AGMs vs Pure AGMs. That same night I saw the vMax Tanks on Amazon. Called vMax tank to get the facts straight and then I learned I was able to order the vMax Tanks online, no shipping cost, no core and no tax. So net net out the door back then it was only about $90 difference, but I got 125ah vs 110ah, Batteries shipped to my front door and I had a chance to sell my FLA (but no one wanted them

But a big advantage to me beside the number of lifecycles is the fact that the pure AGMS do not come with the automotive posts. You should NEVER need automotive post so why are they there? Just to get in your way and easy to spark by accidental touching etc.

Quite frankly I am not sure of any battery that is for sale that is a bad, just a question of what do you need and how can you maximize? I wanted maximum ahs and got it. 125 AHs each. VMax had a Golf cart battery at 135ahs that cost more, but the Engineer at VMax told me for an RV application the SLR model at 125ahs was going to give me more overall capacity and be cheaper. I wish I could remember why, but he didn't have to say it twice since less money was involved; I order on the same call.
Hi is this the one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211207-161807_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	35111  
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:25 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
I got to reading a lively discussion about Dual Purpose AGMs vs Pure AGMs.
Please enlighten us as to the difference between "Dual Purpose AGMs vs Pure AGMs"
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:56 PM   #26

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
A present from a neighbor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1207211654~01.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	35119  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:56 PM   #27

THOR #20220
Hi dkoldman, my interstate FA batteries are 5 months old ..I will see if interstate can replace & I pay difference for agm
These discharge from 12.9 to 11.7 in a few hours with no major appliances running !
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 12-07-2021, 11:57 PM   #28

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
A present from a neighbor.
What how??
Old 12-08-2021, 12:10 AM   #29

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
What how??
We all just kind of do this sort of thing.
There are only 7 full time residences up here behind our gate.

We try not to
Trade
But rather
Gift.

I gave him
https://www.amazon.com/Gransfors-Bru...29391389&psc=1
And
https://atomic79westerngear.com/prod...gn=sag_organic

Which I picked up new at an auction for $65 10 years ago(about last March he saw it hanging on my wall, still new and unused so I gave it to him)
And a while ago he picked up this battery somewhere and sat it on my patio.
I don't know if I'm ahead of him or he ahead of me or if the battery is even related to the axe and wedge.

We have a habit of listening to one another and keeping an eye out for their needs.

Or
He did it to dick with me knowing I'll have to buy three more to be happy.
He might be laughing his ass off about how a yard sale battery is going to cost me $1,900 to finish the project I didn't want.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:44 AM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Hi is this the one?
Yes that is what I bought two of them. Buy directly from VMax.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:51 AM   #31

THOR #13058
Quote:
Called $293 each. He said all deep cycle agm should be 100 to 120 AH
Considering today's pricing $293 seems like a very good price. I bought in Apr 2021 and got two for $500. No tax, no shipping charges and no core. The fact that these are solar designed batteries with 125ah just made it even better.

Each battery shipped in two boxes and each was serialized; it was very professionally packed. I think it was Fed Ex who delivered and they came on different days. I never figured out if it was because they just got separated or if they were trying to have the driver from delivering two of those heavy batteries on the same day?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-08-2021, 01:14 AM   #32

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Please enlighten us as to the difference between "Dual Purpose AGMs vs Pure AGMs"
I will share what I learned, hopefully it enlightens; if not; it conveys why I chose the Pure AGMs over the Dual Purpose. Back in April, it was only $45 difference in price per each battery. I think it is odd the Duracell's Dual Purpose are still on $179 as that was price back in April as well.

Dual Purpose Batteries AGM

Are designed for Marine and Auto applications
Have two set of terminal posts including an automotive style post
Design to handle more cranking amp capacity sacrificing storage capacity
Cheaper than pure AGM

Pure AGM Batteries
Designed for Solar applications
Does not have any automotive post
Dedicated to maximize amp hour storage capacity sacrificing cranking power
Heavier
Rated to last 8 - 10 years (more duty cycles)
Cost more than dual purpose AGM

I also have a boat and the below is verbatim from a boating forum with additional differences.

Deep-Cycle Batteries

Trolling motors and other accessories sip power at a slower rate for extended periods. Batteries that power them usually aren’t recharged until the end of the day. These deep discharges are hard on battery plates, so deep-cycle batteries have fewer yet thicker lead plates than cranking batteries and are built to withstand deep cycling.

A deep-cycle battery’s reserve capacity (RC) rating indicates how long it can carry a specific load before falling into the dead zone. The higher the RC number, the longer the battery will power your accessories. Remember this when choosing a battery. Typically, a deep-cycle battery will have two or three times the RC of a cranking battery. A deep-cycle battery also can withstand several hundred discharge/recharge cycles, while a cranking battery is not designed to be totally discharged.

Dual-Purpose Batteries

It’s usually best to install separate cranking and deep-cycle batteries. If your boat is small, however, and there’s only room for one battery due to space or weight restrictions, consider buying a dual-purpose marine battery specially that handles starting and cycling. Bear in mind, however, most dual-purpose batteries won’t start an engine quite as well as a true cranking battery and won’t endure as many deep discharge/recharge cycles as a dedicated deep-cycle model.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:26 AM   #33

THOR #13058
Quote:
Hi dkoldman, my interstate FA batteries are 5 months old ..I will see if interstate can replace & I pay difference for agm
These discharge from 12.9 to 11.7 in a few hours with no major appliances running !
I am convinced your batteries are not capable of holding a proper charge, but it is is still a crap shoot as to why? You NEVER told us which model of Interstate Batteries you have and what is it's rated AH capacity @20 hours?

When you talking to Interstate, I would not tell them any thing about either of your current charging systems; they may trap you in a corner and blame your charging system or misuse as the cause of why the batteries have failed so quickly? They could be right so less information the better for you. Fact is 5 months and they do not hold a charge and drain rapidly under any loads.

The reason why it is important to know current batteries rated ah capacity is to assess whether you will be making a big enough improvement to run hair dryer and make coffee all the while watching TVs with multiple LED lights on inside the RV.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:34 AM   #34

THOR #13058
Quote:

He did it to me knowing I'll have to buy three more to be happy.
He might be laughing his ass off about how a yard sale battery is going to cost me $1,900 to finish the project I didn't want.
This reminds me when my boss would give me 4 free tickets to a Cowboys game and it cost me about $800 to go It can be $300 to park an RV at some venues, I can't even afford to just tailgate anymore; even if some friends chip in to pay for the gas

Note: FWIW; gas is no longer expensive around here averaging about $2.60/gallon; so I don't SMH and complain at the pump anymore
Old 12-08-2021, 01:37 AM   #35

THOR #20220
Quote:
We all just kind of do this sort of thing.
There are only 7 full time residences up here behind our gate.

We try not to
Trade
But rather
Gift.

I gave him
https://www.amazon.com/Gransfors-Bru...29391389&psc=1
And
https://atomic79westerngear.com/prod...gn=sag_organic

Which I picked up new at an auction for $65 10 years ago(about last March he saw it hanging on my wall, still new and unused so I gave it to him)
And a while ago he picked up this battery somewhere and sat it on my patio.
I don't know if I'm ahead of him or he ahead of me or if the battery is even related to the axe and wedge.

We have a habit of listening to one another and keeping an eye out for their needs.

Or
He did it to dick with me knowing I'll have to buy three more to be happy.
You must 1 episode of Naked and Afraid
Saw those devices used to camp survive 21 days
Old 12-08-2021, 01:40 AM   #36

THOR #20220
Quote:
Considering today's pricing $293 seems like a very good price. I bought in Apr 2021 and got two for $500. No tax, no shipping charges and no core. The fact that these are solar designed batteries with 125ah just made it even better.

Each battery shipped in two boxes and each was serialized; it was very professionally packed. I think it was Fed Ex who delivered and they came on different days. I never figured out if it was because they just got separated or if they were trying to have the driver from delivering two of those heavy batteries on the same day?
Great thanks if Interstate does not honor my upgrade I will have vmax ship to me in TN. I will be there 10 days.

I think I can install myself since hooked up to SP.
WILL take pictures
Old 12-08-2021, 02:06 AM   #37

THOR #13058
Quote:
Great thanks if Interstate does not honor my upgrade I will have vmax ship to me in TN. I will be there 10 days.

I think I can install myself since hooked up to SP.
WILL take pictures
Very good, and my last warning and I am promise

Don't just put those fancy new AGMs in and do nothing different. There had to have been some root cause factors for why the Interstate batteries failed.

From reading tea leaves and not know a damn thing for sure my guess is the following.

1. You may have been relying on Solar to fully charge batteries that have been at a discharge state? I don't have Solar but not sure you want a maintainer like voltage trying to fully charge a battery that is at a discharged state.
2. You seem to frequently not only be under 12.2VDC for the FLA but often at 11.9 or lower Never allow your new AGMs go below 12.4VDC, use your AGS if you have to.
3. Make certain you have good converter charger with intelligent wizard to change the charge voltage based on how the batteries are being used.

Good luck, I know you are going to be happy on Day 1 with the new AGMs, but this post is about feeling the same way year 6.

Now if you don't mine I have to get back to my Grizzly Bear Self Protection Training. I was surprised to learn you can't climb a tree That was the 1st thing I would have done. Who would have thought those big arse bears could climb trees.
Old 12-08-2021, 02:31 AM   #38
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
I will share what I learned, hopefully it enlightens; if not; it conveys why I chose the Pure AGMs over the Dual Purpose. Back in April, it was only $45 difference in price per each battery. I think it is odd the Duracell's Dual Purpose are still on $179 as that was price back in April as well.

Dual Purpose Batteries AGM

Are designed for Marine and Auto applications
Have two set of terminal posts including an automotive style post
Design to handle more cranking amp capacity sacrificing storage capacity
Cheaper than pure AGM

Pure AGM Batteries
Heavier

I also have a boat and the below is verbatim from a boating forum with additional differences.

Deep-Cycle Batteries

Trolling motors and other accessories sip power at a slower rate for extended periods. Batteries that power them usually aren’t recharged until the end of the day. These deep discharges are hard on battery plates, so deep-cycle batteries have fewer yet thicker lead plates than cranking batteries and are built to withstand deep cycling.

A deep-cycle battery’s reserve capacity (RC) rating indicates how long it can carry a specific load before falling into the dead zone. The higher the RC number, the longer the battery will power your accessories. Remember this when choosing a battery. Typically, a deep-cycle battery will have two or three times the RC of a cranking battery. A deep-cycle battery also can withstand several hundred discharge/recharge cycles, while a cranking battery is not designed to be totally discharged.

Dual-Purpose Batteries

It’s usually best to install separate cranking and deep-cycle batteries. If your boat is small, however, and there’s only room for one battery due to space or weight restrictions, consider buying a dual-purpose marine battery specially that handles starting and cycling. Bear in mind, however, most dual-purpose batteries won’t start an engine quite as well as a true cranking battery and won’t endure as many deep discharge/recharge cycles as a dedicated deep-cycle model.
So basically you just explained the difference between dual purpose deep cycle batteries and true deep cycle batteries. That applies to all lead acid batteries, not just AGM.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:54 AM   #39

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So basically you just explained the difference between dual purpose deep cycle batteries and true deep cycle batteries. That applies to all lead acid batteries, not just AGM.
That would mean you could also also compare Dual Purposes FLA vs True Deep Cycle FLA. I don't know I have seen or heard of a True Deep FLA with the following?

I think the comparison of FLA vs AGM is different focal point. At the time of the lively discussion I referenced this past April, the subject was AGMs which all were in agreement that they were definitively better than FLA; so what ensued was why you should NOT buy a Dual Purpose AGM for House Battery application in favor of a Pure AGM that was 100% designed for what it's intended use was going to be.

Truth be told if I had had simple maintenance free FLA as OEM, I would still have them today. Unlike the OP, I had no performance issue with my FLA, they worked as designed, but I as the owner REFUSED to take care of them, watering was out, and the sulfating and acid corrosion pushed me to change. I bought new batteries seeking the maximum AH capacity available (not lithium's) and it happened to be Pure Deep Cycle AGMs with 125ah for Solar Application. So in a real sense maybe it is not a fair comparison, but fact is I went from 130ah total FLA that requires maintenance to 250 ah total AGM maintenance free; I never saw any Maintenance free FLA or Dual Purpose AGM anywhere close to that.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:49 AM   #40

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:

Pure AGM Batteries
Heavier
So... you're telling me you are using your batteries for a purpose for which they are not specifically designed??

I had a shop teacher way back when who would kick our butt for "using a tool for something other than it's intended purpose"...

I think the whole crew should pitch in and get you a few solar panels so you don't violate the rules... (I just can't help myself... )