Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2021, 07:14 PM   #81

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Thx for the update..vmax baby!
If needed easy to add another vmax and still not worry about water etc
Yes sir after you have had time to stabilize your new batteries for your actual usage, you will earn how long you can go before hitting 12.4vdc 125 ah is lot to use up overnight. Define you a preferred START quiet time, Between Genny & Solar you always start the Quiet time 100% fully charged.

Most Campsites quiet time starts at 10:00 pm may be 9:00 PM. Mine quiet time starts at 7:00 PM, thinking of moving it to 6:00 PM during daylight saving time.

But when / if I ever need more capacity, a third vMax tank will take me up to 187 ah available. But it has been 8 months for us with 125ah we have PLENTY and I don't even have solar to help maintain.

@20AH it will take about 3 hrs for you to fully charge your batteries if they have discharged to 12.4vdc (this is using you converter / charger).

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:32 PM   #82

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Yes sir after you have had time to stabilize your new batteries for your actual usage, you will earn how long you can go before hitting 12.4vdc 125 ah is lot to use up overnight. Define you a preferred START quiet time, Between Genny & Solar you always start the Quiet time 100% fully charged.

Most Campsites quiet time starts at 10:00 pm may be 9:00 PM. Mine quiet time starts at 7:00 PM, thinking of moving it to 6:00 PM during daylight saving time.

But when / if I ever need more capacity, a third vMax tank will take me up to 187 ah available. But it has been 8 months for us with 125ah we have PLENTY and I don't even have solar to help maintain.

@20AH it will take about 3 hrs for you to fully charge your batteries if they have discharged to 12.4vdc (this is using you converter / charger).
Thx my wife wants to use the inverter at 6am to make coffee without seeing the battery at 11.7 11.8 in am..this includes being charged going to bed.
If heater runs 3 to 5 times batteries at 11.7
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:23 PM   #83

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Thx my wife wants to use the inverter at 6am to make coffee without seeing the battery at 11.7 11.8 in am..this includes being charged going to bed.
If heater runs 3 to 5 times batteries at 11.7
Reading the battery voltage with a load like the furnace fan or heaven forbid, the inverter powering a coffee maker, gives a very distorted picture of real battery state of charge. Not that even resting for an hour or so gives an accurate indication but drawing 6-10 amps for the furnace will drop the battery voltage by a couple of tenths. It will jump back up after the load is removed.

David
Old 12-12-2021, 09:23 PM   #84

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Rich View Post
Sooooo... I'm confused!? I always want the BEST of everything, but I have a couple of questions:
1. Why Switch from regular Lead Acid Batteries to AGM?
2. Do you have to do something "special" when making the change from your old Lead Acid to AGM or is it just a plain ol' battery swap - in with the new out with the old?
In advance, thanks for your thoughts...
In the Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA) field there are three different manufacturing types. All use the lead-acid chemistry. The oldest is known maintenance free (MF), the next oldest is gel (GEL) and the newest one on the block is adsorbed glass mat (AGM). All three of these types need no watering and each has a specific sets of applications for which they were designed. MF were designed for starting batteries for auto and trucks, Gel batteries were designed for maximum amp-h storage capacity when used with an off-grid low current application. AGM were designed to replace NI-Cads and NI-MH in uninterruptible power supplies (UPS).

MF are the cheapest and use liquid sulfuric acid, AGM batteries resist vibration and can handle higher charge/discharge rates and gel batteries can withstand high temps and work best with slow, deep discharge.

For my use it hard to beat the 58 lb EverStart group 29DC battery.
  • 12-volt marine deep cycle battery
  • 122 amp hour
  • Dual post
  • Superior cycling and recharge capabilities
  • Battery is maintenance free under normal operating conditions
  • Free battery testing and installation at your local Walmart Auto Care Center
  • If you need to get rid of your old battery, there is free lead acid battery recycling at your local Walmart.

Mine are going on 3 years old and have never need water - thus no out-gassing. Yes, they have caps and yes, I have my old watering system attached, as I thought the above was too good to be true.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:22 PM   #85

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Reading the battery voltage with a load like the furnace fan or heaven forbid, the inverter powering a coffee maker, gives a very distorted picture of real battery state of charge. Not that even resting for an hour or so gives an accurate indication but drawing 6-10 amps for the furnace will drop the battery voltage by a couple of tenths. It will jump back up after the load is removed.

David
No furnace or anything running in the am except absorption fridge & usb chargers and 11.7
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 12-13-2021, 12:00 AM   #86

THOR #13058
Quote:
No furnace or anything running in the am except absorption fridge & usb chargers and 11.7
Does your Absorption Fridge run on propane?

I have two refrigerators, one residential (outside) and one absorption (Norcold inside). If I try to run the absorption off Inverter I may get 5 hours. But I never do that unless I am in between stops.

When I am driving the RV with alternator running, I will have my Absorption fridge running off the Inverter. When I stop to get gas or to get setup at a campsite I have no worries running off the inverter, but when I am all set for the night and boondocking, I switch it to propane. Our outdoor fridge can run the entire time off Inverter, but we don't need it when boondocking.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-13-2021, 02:02 AM   #87

THOR #20220
Sorry correct fridge runs off propane at night..so just heater, water pump for toilet & usb charger & winegard on roof all I can think of
Old 12-13-2021, 02:26 AM   #88

THOR #13058
Quote:
Sorry correct fridge runs off propane at night..so just heater, water pump for toilet & usb charger & winegard on roof all I can think of
Great.. in that case tell your DW she may brew 3 or 4 cups of coffee at 6:00 AM and will not see low voltage

Remember in your immediate future 12.4 vdc is considered low voltage for an AGM battery. The next day or when you do hit 12.4vdc if you do not have shore power let the genny run for 3 hrs during the day to get it back up to 13.0vdc, let you solar maintain it until Quiet time. Repeat and soon you will wonder why in the world did they ever but the low ah capacity FLA batteries in to begin with? Well we know why... cost; but you get the point.
Old 12-13-2021, 02:30 AM   #89

THOR #20220
Excellent captain appreciated