Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2022, 02:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Windsport 35M
State: Virginia
THOR #25688
Suspension Upgrade Prioritization

I recently purchased a 2018 Windsport 35M and I am planning some suspension upgrades. But first, a little backstory....

We are the second owners of this rig and while the previous owners took great care of it, all the suspension components are stock. The husband was accustomed to driving large vehicles and did not feel the need to make any changes. The wife drove behind the rig in a chase vehicle and did not often spend time in the rig while underway.

I am interested in making some suspension improvements to increase both the quality of the ride and ease of handling in challenging conditions. I have created a wish list of possible component upgrades and I am unsure which should come first. I figure I would add an upgrade to address the most noticeable issue, and then move on to the next issue. I suspect there is a point of diminishing returns and I may not even need to install all the upgrades I am considering.

Question for the group: Which suspension modifications did you make, and which did you make first? I have listed them in the order that makes sense to me. Here's what I am thinking...
Front-End Alignment
Safe-T Plus Steering Stabilizer
Koni Shocks
Rear Trac Bar
Front/Rear Sway Bar
Sumo Springs

Old 01-03-2022, 02:41 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
None until you have at least 10,000 miles on it. Just as the previous owner;
97%+-of rv's have no suspension mods.

Butt time is the biggest thing.
And
Sickness is often a windshield factor more than a ride factor. It's why they like riding up front.

For others salvageable: Renting one exactly like your choice for an extended test drive was the correct, now gone, course of action.
We did it. We will do it on our next vehicle purchase. We did it on our last purchase.

It made the wife sick in the shortest possible time, you knew it made the wife sick, and you bought it anyway? Suspension isn't curing that.
Have her be the driver. It helps a lot with motion sickness.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:16 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
An alignment was the most profound fix in my case. I would get it done first. Have the caster set at +5.
Next would be anti-sway bars.
Sumo springs.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:45 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
I don't consider an alignment an upgrade. It is required maintenance even on a brand new RV.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:55 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
I don't consider an alignment an upgrade. It is required maintenance even on a brand new RV.
If one is talking about suspension, it should be in the conversation.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:40 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloodZone View Post
I recently purchased a 2018 Windsport 35M and I am planning some suspension upgrades. But first, a little backstory....

We are the second owners of this rig and while the previous owners took great care of it, all the suspension components are stock. The husband was accustomed to driving large vehicles and did not feel the need to make any changes. The wife drove behind the rig in a chase vehicle and did not often spend time in the rig while underway.

I am interested in making some suspension improvements to increase both the quality of the ride and ease of handling in challenging conditions. I have created a wish list of possible component upgrades and I am unsure which should come first. I figure I would add an upgrade to address the most noticeable issue, and then move on to the next issue. I suspect there is a point of diminishing returns and I may not even need to install all the upgrades I am considering.

Question for the group: Which suspension modifications did you make, and which did you make first? I have listed them in the order that makes sense to me. Here's what I am thinking...
Front-End Alignment
Safe-T Plus Steering Stabilizer
Koni Shocks
Rear Trac Bar
Front/Rear Sway Bar
Sumo Springs
I like your list but I'd do the chf front and rear before spending $1k+ on new sway bars

Also do 1 thing at a time to see if it improves what you think the ride lacks. You may find 1 or 2 of your planned upgrades may fix all your ride problems

Also are you doing the installs or paying a shop? Most can be done at home in a few hours with basic tools

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:09 PM   #7

THOR #25688
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I like your list but I'd do the chf front and rear before spending $1k+ on new sway bars

Also do 1 thing at a time to see if it improves what you think the ride lacks. You may find 1 or 2 of your planned upgrades may fix all your ride problems

Also are you doing the installs or paying a shop? Most can be done at home in a few hours with basic tools

Jerry
I'm taking it to the shop for the front-end alignment, so I was considering having the shop install the stabilizer during that visit. I'm planning DIY install for any other components I decide to add from the list.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:10 PM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
I have to agree with the Duck, before throwing a ton of coin at suspension upgrades suggest some windshield time in the rig.
As stated by others get the front ended lined up 1st.
On our ACE the only mod we have done, as Halfprice suggested, is the Cheap Handling Fix (aka as CHF.) It doesn't cost anything and, on our rig, improved the roll considerably. After last summer's 5000-mile trip I am going to add a steering stabilizer, it should make windy driving a little easier to manage. Other than that, as the coach ages I will upgrade the shocks when they start to degrade.
Everyone's handling expectations are different. Some guys swear by their upgrades. In my case I realize I am driving a top-heavy truck and expect it will handle as such. The handling can be improved somewhat but does the cost offset the gain? In our case the rig handles well enough, and I haven't felt the need to spend the extra cash.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:59 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: New Jersey
THOR #5166
The most beneficial mod I did was rear track bar. It made passing trucks stop wagging my tail.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:23 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freehood View Post
The most beneficial mod I did was rear track bar. It made passing trucks stop wagging my tail.
Rear leaf spring suspensions do not use a track bar.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:31 PM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
https://supersteerparts.com/products...-sway-bar.html

E450 trak bars are real.
I think the spring wrap they cure is confused with sway control.
Slop in the lateral movement rubber bushings is the only thing they could possibly control related to sway.
Rear end to frame lateral leaf spring movement is all but impossibly small in the limited movement an rv does.

You'd make much more difference(possibly not to any avail) with different durometer bushings. I have the ability to pour my own at any rating I want to try, I have no need.

It amazes me how an engineer can be so correct as to determine tow rates and axles loads to a very very scary exact pound which becomes indisputable gospel, but the same engineer is deemed stupud by the same people when it comes to sumos and track bars and air bags.

I have a pretty Damn fancy absolutely custom full front suspension(because I think the engineers are tightly budgeted entry-level wonks). I didn't do any rear suspension changes other than the lift. I could, I can't find an ounce of value in it.

I have no doubt some swear by track bars.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 12:55 AM   #12

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloodZone View Post
I'm taking it to the shop for the front-end alignment, so I was considering having the shop install the stabilizer during that visit. I'm planning DIY install for any other components I decide to add from the list.
Also have front wheels balanced.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:09 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Tire pressures, front end alignment and CHF made my rig drivable. Windshield time and front sumo springs made it easy to drive. The saf-t-plus was a safety thing of unknown value.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:02 AM   #14

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Tire pressures, front end alignment and CHF made my rig drivable. Windshield time and front sumo springs made it easy to drive. The saf-t-plus was a safety thing of unknown value.
I second these statements. Went fron 2 hands with white knuckles to one hand cruising!
Old 01-04-2022, 01:26 PM   #15

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I second these statements. Went fron 2 hands with white knuckles to one hand cruising!
Yes and in order to get correct tire pressures weighing the RV so an owner knows what pressure is correct. So my suggestion. before throwing parts at it, weigh, adjust pressures according to the load carried, and align. Drive a while and see how it feels, then if any parts are desired, do them one at a time. Multiple parts swapping can/will be expensive and may not solve any issues. One "improvement" may cancel another.

And remember it's not an Escalade or Expedition, it's a modified truck.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 04:53 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Just comments on my particular Hurricane 31S. Short wheel base coach so rear movement was the major problem; especially on sharp curves, at speed, towing. A rear track bar solved that problem. With a higher roll center than I was used to, the coach sway, especially on uneven surfaces, was excessive. I chose to install Sumo Maxim springs, front and rear. That solved the sway and really helped in the ride quality. On broken sections of pavement it could feel the leaf springs hit the bump stops before I installed the Sumos. After, there was no jaring when the Sumos collapsed when hitting the uneven pavement. After alignment with an increase in front caster to 6 degrees, the coach tracks fine without any steering aids.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:34 PM   #17

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I think your list is good, but I would move up swaybars to #3. Here is my recommended order:

1. Good alignment with 5+ degrees of caster. This really helped steering feel and reduced wandering.

2. Steering stabilizer. Greatly reduced wandering, and less getting pushed around when semis pass.

3. Big swaybars. Reduced roll and more overall stability.
4. Upgraded shocks. These helped ride and stability somewhat, and reduced wallow on undulated roads, but not as significant as the above mods.
5. Helper springs/bumpstops (such as Sumo or Timbren).
Old 01-07-2022, 04:52 PM   #18

Model: ACE 27.2
THOR #12722
Here is a company that sales parts/upgrades. What I like about their site is it explains what upgrades fix what issues. (Matches symptoms with a fix) My next upgrade is going to be the Radius Rods. I wish I had found this site sooner because it may have saved me some money on some things that didn't help that much. If I lived closer, I would drive to their store.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:18 PM   #19

THOR #25688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnieb View Post
Here is a company that sales parts/upgrades. What I like about their site is it explains what upgrades fix what issues. (Matches symptoms with a fix) My next upgrade is going to be the Radius Rods. I wish I had found this site sooner because it may have saved me some money on some things that didn't help that much. If I lived closer, I would drive to their store.
That sounds helpful. What is the site?
Old 01-08-2022, 02:45 PM   #20

Model: ACE 27.2
THOR #12722
Sorry, can't believe I left off their info. supersteerparts.com