Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.1
State: California
THOR #7113
there are a lot of good leveling systems and everyone will have their favorite. But just make sure you steer totally clear of Bullseye. From personal experience and some others that have communicated with me about Bullseye since I got ripped off, that company is a total rip off. And the only way you can do anything about them is to go to Indiana where they are and file suit against them to recover any money you have invested in their products that you never receive. No government agency can do anything for you. And that's about all I can legaly say about them.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:03 PM   #42

State: North Carolina
THOR #13548
Equalizer

We have an appointment with Equalizer in Elkhart IN on 8 July to have their system installed on our Thor / Mercedes Sprinter. Tried the blocks but took a long time and never got it perfect.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:12 PM   #43

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
We have Lippert jacks on our Windsport. We've had so many problems with them that I cross my fingers when I start the engine, drive the RV, deploy the jacks, and retract the jacks. Basically my fingers are crossed for the entire time that we use the RV.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:41 PM   #44

State: Florida
THOR #14993
BF Automatic

My sister and I just purchased a freedom elite 24H and the first thing we checked out was a hydraulic leveling system. We went with the BF Automatic as we are older gals and neither of us want to be getting down on all fours to manually level out the rv.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #45

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
OK, we're picking up a brand new Vegas 24.1 next week. Debating between leveling systems. I've read too many threads dealing with this, some very old, some get off topic, etc. Please understand that I am NOT the person who is going to "trial and error" with blocks on the ground; my apologies if that sounds lazy, but I know my limitations.

A quick ten second reply will be great, if you would appease me. Should I go with:

A. Bigfoot (about an hour away, $4200 all in for fully automatic)

B. HWH (about an hour away, $4500 all in for fully automatic)

C. Something else (please share what that might be!)

D. None at all, haven't needed them.

Thanks for your quick reply!

tim

I went with Bigfoot manual. Did it in winter, off season, $1000 off as i recall. Very happy so far.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:11 PM   #46

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
I went with Bigfoot manual. Did it in winter, off season, $1000 off as i recall. Very happy so far.
That's what we're going with. Unfortunately, can't wait for the winter sale, but it is what it is. About $2900 out the door.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #47

State: Arkansas
THOR #14550
Cool Purchasing a Leveling System...!!

OK, this from a "not yet owner."
My wife and I have only looked at a few Class A motorhomes, but all of them showed what was called an auto leveling system already on the mh. Am I not understanding what that means?
I assumed that meant there was no need to buy a leveling system if you buy a new mh that says it has one.
Help! Confused!
Harv and Lois
Old 06-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #48

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
You are correct

Most newer true Class A’s and many large Class C’s come equipped with hydraulic levelers as OEM standard equipment.

If it says it has them, it probably does
Old 06-02-2019, 04:25 PM   #49
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
While you're still shopping: it never hurts to ask the "Salesgoober", to demonstrate how they work...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:33 PM   #50

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #7188
Dewalt/scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBoar View Post
Drive on blocks are an inexpensive nuisance, and hydraulic or electric lifts are an expensive convenience, but there is a middle choice: scissor jacks ($100) and a big cordless DeWalt Joist and Stud Drill ($400). My Vegas 24.1 has a scissor jack at each corner and that DeWalt drill will lift the wheels off the ground.
I installed the scissor jacks myself. The rear ones were easy, but the fronts required a little too much creativity. Anyway, with the big DeWalt+scissors, it is waaaay easier to level than using the drive on blocks. Although it will lift the wheels off the ground, it is dangerously unstable, but for only a few inches of lift it works just fine.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:41 PM   #51
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
I already don't want to level the thing. Do you think I want to crawl under there and install it completely wrong???
Just take it to the dealership, and tell them to order the setup.
That way: THEY can install it wrong for you!

And you don't have to get dirty, tired, or skin any knuckles!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:03 PM   #52

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBoar View Post
I installed the scissor jacks myself. The rear ones were easy, but the fronts required a little too much creativity. Anyway, with the big DeWalt+scissors, it is waaaay easier to level than using the drive on blocks. Although it will lift the wheels off the ground, it is dangerously unstable, but for only a few inches of lift it works just fine.
Boar, can you post some picks of your scissors installed. I'm thinking of doing that myself. I never really need to level much, lucky enough to find good parking spots. And what size scissors did you use?
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:25 AM   #53

State: Alaska
THOR #5332
Jacks

Scissor jacks are great to stabilize not for leveling. But if you are satisfied with the product and price that’s all that matters..
Old 07-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #54

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I went with the Equalizer system to have installed on my Sprinter Chassis. I looked at the HWH and went with the Equalizer. I had it installed at a local family run rv shop here in southern California. Parts and labor was about $6,000. It works great and you can control it via a smart phone as well as the interior control panel.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #55

THOR #2817
I checked the HWH website. There are many varsities of levelers available from them. Does yours have the double springs to keep the jacks up? The Lippert system uses hydraulic pressure, so there is always pressure on the system when it is up and when it is down. Also the pistons on the Lippert system are relatively small in diameter, aluminum as opposed to larger diameter steel found in better levelers. Best of luck with your new levelers.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:12 PM   #56

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
just made my appointment for the Big Foot levelers. Reviews are great about the product and the services. Don't like the idea at all of the springs so ruled them out immediately.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #57

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I think you made the right choice. I love my BF Platinum system. Great price and great product.

I would suggest installing a circut breaker in place of the fuse (or it might have been an auto reset breaker from BF). That way you can turn it off for any reason plus it will elimiate a draw on your sytem if you store your RV.

Thats what I did and I leave it off most of the time (until its time to level). Its under my steps so its easy to get to. Plus ensure that no one accidently deploys when your parked (esp if you have kids).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:43 PM   #58

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I checked the HWH website. There are many varsities of levelers available from them. Does yours have the double springs to keep the jacks up? The Lippert system uses hydraulic pressure, so there is always pressure on the system when it is up and when it is down. Also the pistons on the Lippert system are relatively small in diameter, aluminum as opposed to larger diameter steel found in better levelers. Best of luck with your new levelers.
My HWH is the straight leg jacks with the joystick controller
Has the coil springs on each jack to retract (vs BigFoot)
The most expensive after market leveling system
Has a solid reputation for quality and reliability (vs Lippert as recommended by a couple of RV dealerships I spoke to prior to install)
Old 11-20-2021, 06:58 PM   #59

State: Ontario
THOR #21228
Do you feel you have lost any ground clearance with the BF leveling jacks? I'm debating whether to go with the HWH kick downs ot the Big foot platinum for Ford E350.

If the ground clearance is fine without having to kick down at four points then that seems highly preferable. Less moving parts to be concerned about. It also looks like the BF has the travel to get the vehicle off the ground for a tire change (with support jack). I'm not sure the kick down system has the enough travel for a tire change lift.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:02 PM   #60

THOR #2817
I have LCI levelers. They have and continue to give me problems. One leveler leaks when up, had to replace the driver's control panel, get an error message almost every time the RV is started. Also, the pistons look much too feeble to last long. Junk. The levelers that retract with springs might not be as high tech as the ones that apply hydraulic pressure to keep the levelers up, but replacing springs has to be easier and cheaper than replacing hydraulic levelers that will not hold pressure when the jacks are in the up position.