Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2019, 12:20 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
Best leveling system (yes, another thread on that!)

OK, we're picking up a brand new Vegas 24.1 next week. Debating between leveling systems. I've read too many threads dealing with this, some very old, some get off topic, etc. Please understand that I am NOT the person who is going to "trial and error" with blocks on the ground; my apologies if that sounds lazy, but I know my limitations.

A quick ten second reply will be great, if you would appease me. Should I go with:

A. Bigfoot (about an hour away, $4200 all in for fully automatic)

B. HWH (about an hour away, $4500 all in for fully automatic)

C. Something else (please share what that might be!)

D. None at all, haven't needed them.

Thanks for your quick reply!

tim

Old 05-24-2019, 01:27 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I use blocks (Lynx levelers--have had them for a few RV's now) but don't guess. I installed a Level Mate Pro which reads out, in inches, how much I have to raise each corner. The blocks are about an inch each so its pretty easy: pull in, read my phone, put out the number of blocks indicated and pull up on them....done.

Also a lot cheaper than any hydraulic system.

In many cases I haven't had to do anything at all just park and enjoy.

So I guess Option "C" sort of.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:30 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I did the blocks for about two years. Works fine but about 3 or 4 times my camp ground spot was stone (or half black top/half stone) and it took me about 30 minutes twice and one time 45 minutes to get level (had 3 corner and blocks sliding on stone - some were stacked 5 high - PITA).

And one time it was 90 deg outside and and was soaking wet and worn out when I was done.

Then one day someone posted the Big Foot Plantum that was on sale last year ($1985 + 150 for home bolt on kit) so after a little research I pulled the trigger.

If I had to do it again I would have Big Foot weld it on (they are around $500 for the install).

Many member dont even use the auto function so thats was an other reason I went with the manual system. The auto function sometimes raises you higher than needed when done or if out of level bad it wont work well at all.

BF Works great. Im done in 3 to 5 mintues now and no sweat!

Look into the Platium too - it will save you some money.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:49 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
20 yrs. I have never leveled. I do carry two sets of blocks with me. I guess I like wasting storage space. Keep the $$$.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:15 AM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
I installed Bigfoot levelers on mine
Old 05-24-2019, 11:05 AM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I REALLY like my Equalizers...
Old 05-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #7

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I did the blocks for about two years. Works fine but about 3 or 4 times my camp ground spot was stone (or half black top/half stone) and it took me about 30 minutes twice and one time 45 minutes to get level (had 3 corner and blocks sliding on stone - some were stacked 5 high - PITA).

And one time it was 90 deg outside and and was soaking wet and worn out when I was done.

Then one day someone posted the Big Foot Plantum that was on sale last year ($1985 + 150 for home bolt on kit) so after a little research I pulled the trigger.

If I had to do it again I would have Big Foot weld it on (they are around $500 for the install).

Many member dont even use the auto function so thats was an other reason I went with the manual system. The auto function sometimes raises you higher than needed when done or if out of level bad it wont work well at all.

BF Works great. Im done in 3 to 5 mintues now and no sweat!

Look into the Platium too - it will save you some money.
The scenario you just described is exactly my fear. I'd be out there, breaking my neck, throwing things, cursing, and saying "I hate camping!!!" That's not what I want this to be for us.

Confused by your last sentence. Are you saying "Platinum" and if so, how will that save me money?
Old 05-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #8

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
20 yrs. I have never leveled. I do carry two sets of blocks with me. I guess I like wasting storage space. Keep the $$$.
You've NEVER leveled? How does that work?
Old 05-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #9

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
I installed Bigfoot levelers on mine
And, happy? Anything I should be aware of?
Old 05-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #10

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I REALLY like my Equalizers...
Is that pretty much a DIY install? I see their products but I don't see a "dealer directory" where I can find an installer.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
The scenario you just described is exactly my fear. I'd be out there, breaking my neck, throwing things, cursing, and saying "I hate camping!!!" That's not what I want this to be for us.

Confused by your last sentence. Are you saying "Platinum" and if so, how will that save me money?
Yes, it got to where I dreaded showing up at a campground I never been to before. Sometimes they are nice and sometimes the only spot left for me is sloped bad and covered with stones.

The Big Foot Platinum is the entry level model (Cheaper price). One hydraulic pump vs 4 pumps (but it works fine) but no "AUTO" level function. Look at BF website and they have videos on the lift kits. Plus a few youtubes showing class C with BF system.

IMO the AUTO is not needed. So what if you have to spend "one or two Minutes" making it level by pushing a button or two. Better than not having the system at all (IMO).

My knees are not what they use to be and my wife does not like to help me with this block leveling (She has bad back sometimes) and she is scared I will shoot the blocks out (that happened one time) or that I will go too far and fall off the blocks and cause damage.

Plus you can raise the RV up to check the conditons of the tires (esp the front) and even change a flat tire (but use a jack stand to be safe).

I have 4 sets of camco yellow blocks and ran out before I was fully level TWICE now.

I sometimes pick some old camp sites on top of lakes or trails that are not paved at all. Plus I mtn bike and go to trail heads that are un level - and my wife will wait in the RV. So its nice to level out for her and my shower when I come back all sweaty and muddy.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #12

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yes, it got to where I dreaded showing up at a campground I never been to before. Sometimes they are nice and sometimes the only spot left for me is sloped bad and covered with stones.

The Big Foot Platinum is the entry level model (Cheaper price). One hydraulic pump vs 4 pumps (but it works fine) but no "AUTO" level function. Look at BF website and they have videos on the lift kits. Plus a few youtubes showing class C with BF system.

IMO the AUTO is not needed. So what if you have to spend "one or two Minutes" making it level by pushing a button or two. Better than not having the system at all (IMO).

My knees are not what they use to be and my wife does not like to help me with this block leveling (She has bad back sometimes) and she is scared I will shoot the blocks out (that happened one time) or that I will go too far and fall off the blocks and cause damage.

Plus you can raise the RV up to check the conditons of the tires (esp the front) and even change a flat tire (but use a jack stand to be safe).

I have 4 sets of camco yellow blocks and ran out before I was fully level TWICE now.

I sometimes pick some old camp sites on top of lakes or trails that are not paved at all. Plus I mtn bike and go to trail heads that are un level - and my wife will wait in the RV. So its nice to level out for her and my shower when I come back all sweaty and muddy.
Yes, I can see me and that "dread" word! I did talk to the guy at Bigfoot (Quadra Manufacturing) and he was telling me about the manual system, but I guess I'd forgotten it was called the Platinum. That does make sense, especially when I've heard from others that the auto system often requires manual tweaking. I'll re-investigate that one. Thanks, man!
Old 05-24-2019, 01:40 PM   #13

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Mechanical leveling systems are a must for a motorhome, IMO. If I had to purchase one, I would look for a quality system that allowed manual leveling only just to save money, if such system exist. You'll find, once you've used any of these systems, even though they include "auto-level", manual leveling is the best route. With what you spent on the coach, who wants to crawl all over the ground in the dirt with the ants and mud, pushing Lego Blocks around for an hour or more (it's an age thing). Back in, push a few buttons, make a cocktail, enjoy your success in life!! Big Foot would be my choice, but mine came with a system already.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #14

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gritz carlton View Post
mechanical leveling systems are a must for a motorhome, imo. If i had to purchase one, i would look for a quality system that allowed manual leveling only just to save money, if such system exist. You'll find, once you've used any of these systems, even though they include "auto-level", manual leveling is the best route. with what you spent on the coach, who wants to crawl all over the ground in the dirt with the ants and mud, pushing lego blocks around for an hour or more (it's an age thing). Back in, push a few buttons, make a cocktail, enjoy your success in life!! Big foot would be my choice, but mine came with a system already.
1000%
Old 05-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Is that pretty much a DIY install? I see their products but I don't see a "dealer directory" where I can find an installer.
Mine was factory-installed...
Having crawled up under the rig to take a look at it: it doesn't seem to be an overly tough one to install...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:53 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Georgia
THOR #14579
I am in the process of getting the HWH Kickdown levelers for my Vegas 27.7. I understand they don't reduce clearance which is good since it is already low. They are expensive, but over time, it seems well worth it if they don't breakdown.

when an installer buys them, they get wholesale pricing, so use that to negotiate reduced installation costs. If installed at HGH they don't charge for installation, but sell to consumer at full retail price.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:42 PM   #17

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
HWH for me
I went with the system 225, joystick manual controller with straight acting jacks for Class C Motorhomes.
Yes, it was the least expensive HWH system (versus the “kick-down levelers). But it was still expensive.
I will never own an RV without a hydraulic leveling system.

hwh-bi-axis-class-c-hydraulic-leveling-system-ford-e350e450-cutaway-chassis-1998-newer
Old 05-24-2019, 05:13 PM   #18

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
HWH for me
I went with the system 225, joystick manual controller with straight acting jacks for Class C Motorhomes.
Yes, it was the least expensive HWH system (versus the “kick-down levelers). But it was still expensive.
I will never own an RV without a hydraulic leveling system.

hwh-bi-axis-class-c-hydraulic-leveling-system-ford-e350e450-cutaway-chassis-1998-newer
Yeah, the manual control ones (whether HWH or Bigfoot) look like the way I'm leaning, right now. Thanks for the input!
Old 05-24-2019, 05:14 PM   #19

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1000 View Post
I am in the process of getting the HWH Kickdown levelers for my Vegas 27.7. I understand they don't reduce clearance which is good since it is already low. They are expensive, but over time, it seems well worth it if they don't breakdown.

when an installer buys them, they get wholesale pricing, so use that to negotiate reduced installation costs. If installed at HGH they don't charge for installation, but sell to consumer at full retail price.
I haven't seen much variation in the prices. I wonder if these things have "slow months" when the manufacturers are more likely to put them on sale?
Old 05-24-2019, 05:15 PM   #20

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Mine was factory-installed...
Having crawled up under the rig to take a look at it: it doesn't seem to be an overly tough one to install...
I already don't want to level the thing. Do you think I want to crawl under there and install it completely wrong???