Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2022, 04:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Best Satellite Internet Providers

Interesting.
May help some of us road warriors in need of internet in remote places.

https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/b...lite-internet/

Old 11-13-2022, 04:15 PM   #2

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
We have Starlink and have enjoyed it 100%. We mount it on our house roof which I can reach with a 6 foot ladder from our bedroom balcony. Then either mount it on a ladder of our Aria or use the ground stand. We live in the Pacific Northwest and even with the amount of forest we usually have at least 100mbps.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 04:20 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I don't know why anyone would use old school satellite internet anymore for an RV.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 04:42 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Starlink hands-down….. nothing else compares when it comes to satellite internet.
Old 11-13-2022, 05:08 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Currently only Mobil Satellite Technologies offers a movable antenna for a stationary satellite system. There cheapest antenna and receiver/transmitter is over $3,000 plus instillation and the service is extra startling around $125 per month for the slowest service.
It advantage is it only needs a clear view of a small section of the southern sky since the sat is stationary in the sky.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 06:06 PM   #6

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
We have Starlink and have enjoyed it 100%. We mount it on our house roof which I can reach with a 6 foot ladder from our bedroom balcony. Then either mount it on a ladder of our Aria or use the ground stand. We live in the Pacific Northwest and even with the amount of forest we usually have at least 100mbps.
How Is it on snowy and or cloudy days?
My Directv at our cabin goes In and out
Old 11-13-2022, 07:00 PM   #7

THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Have not had snow on it yet but the dish heats up and is supposed to melt the snow. Now we do have clouds and lots of rain and has not been an issue. We have the RV plan so we are throttled down at home. With that we go from 50-200 during the "throttled" time of day.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:05 PM   #8

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
If you are watching a DirecTV program on a genie (like an HS-17) and the genie is Internet connected; if the sat signal is lost, a drop-down menu appears asking if you would like to continue watching on the Internet. Just click OK and the system switches automatically. When the sat signal returns the receiver will automatically switch back. Sometimes the Internet signal is SD, but usually HD. No 4K yet. Unfortunately it doesn't work when recording, yet.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:20 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
I've had Starlink cut out during very heavy rain, but it takes more than satellite TV does. Clouds don't affect it much. I don't know about snow yet, but it has a built in heater so it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:19 AM   #10

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Currently only Mobil Satellite Technologies offers a movable antenna for a stationary satellite system. There cheapest antenna and receiver/transmitter is over $3,000 plus instillation and the service is extra startling around $125 per month for the slowest service.
It advantage is it only needs a clear view of a small section of the southern sky since the sat is stationary in the sky.
I'm not sure what you mean by the "only one..... to offer a moveable antenna."

Starlink has offered a package for RV for several months and now offers an in-motion package and they use a geostationary satellite orbit in the northern skies.

Starlink for RV has been a available since may that allows you to move the dish anywhere as you move around North America for $135/mo and the ability to pause the service at anytime and as often as you desire.

They now just started offering Starlink In-Motion with a new dish designed specifically for in-motion applications that can be permanently mounted on the roof of a vehicle, boat, semi, etc. The monthly cost of the service is the same but the hardware is $2500 for the in-motion option vs. the $600 for the RV or Home options.

The dish I have would work for in-motion as well. I saw a couple YouTube videos where guys removed the positioning motor assembly and mounted the dish to the roof of a car and a boat. But the dish for in-motion is a redesigned version specifically to be moving and better maintain connectivity.
Old 11-14-2022, 12:02 PM   #11

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Sometimes I think back 40 years and wonder how we camped, with 2 young kids, in a tent, without tv, without cellphones, and entertained ourselves playing board games. Sat around a campfire telling stories. My daughter used to force herself to stay awake so she could hear all the war stories from our past. Cooked on a Coleman gas stove by pumping the fuel tank. Only light at night was a Coleman lantern. Kept beer cold in a Coleman steel belted cooler. My my!
Old 11-14-2022, 06:43 PM   #12

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Sometimes I think back 40 years and wonder how we camped, with 2 young kids, in a tent, without tv, without cellphones, and entertained ourselves playing board games. Sat around a campfire telling stories. My daughter used to force herself to stay awake so she could hear all the war stories from our past. Cooked on a Coleman gas stove by pumping the fuel tank. Only light at night was a Coleman lantern. Kept beer cold in a Coleman steel belted cooler. My my!

I wish we could bring those days back those days…. especially for kids.

Too much time playing video games anf on screens and very little time playing outside in the neighborhood.

My parents had to call around the neighborhood almost every night to find out where I was and to tell the neighbors tontell me to get my butt home!
Old 11-14-2022, 09:13 PM   #13

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by the "only one..... to offer a moveable antenna."

Starlink has offered a package for RV for several months and now offers an in-motion package and they use a geostationary satellite orbit in the northern skies.

Starlink for RV has been a available since may that allows you to move the dish anywhere as you move around North America for $135/mo and the ability to pause the service at anytime and as often as you desire.

They now just started offering Starlink In-Motion with a new dish designed specifically for in-motion applications that can be permanently mounted on the roof of a vehicle, boat, semi, etc. The monthly cost of the service is the same but the hardware is $2500 for the in-motion option vs. the $600 for the RV or Home options.

The dish I have would work for in-motion as well. I saw a couple YouTube videos where guys removed the positioning motor assembly and mounted the dish to the roof of a car and a boat. But the dish for in-motion is a redesigned version specifically to be moving and better maintain connectivity.
Judge - a mobile antenna for a fixed position satellite. As far as I read Starlink sats are not in a fixed position in the sky but are in a low earth orbit.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:23 PM   #14

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
Right - Starlink is low earth orbit. The new antenna is twice as wide so it can see more of the sky. More of the sky = more satellites in view. It mounts flat on top of the mobile vehicle. The RV service has lower priority over residential. That means it works well in the boonies but when in a congested area like a city the service is degraded. You probably can’t park in the shade on those hot days and get good service either - trees block satellite signals.

It is up to the consumer to determine the cost benefit of using this technology - some will see a benefit and some won’t. It’s like I like IPA beers and other don’t. Channeling Ducksface a bit here. Miss him.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:25 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOIB View Post
Right - Starlink is low earth orbit. The new antenna is twice as wide so it can see more of the sky. More of the sky = more satellites in view. It mounts flat on top of the mobile vehicle. The RV service has lower priority over residential. That means it works well in the boonies but when in a congested area like a city the service is degraded. You probably can’t park in the shade on those hot days and get good service either - trees block satellite signals.

It is up to the consumer to determine the cost benefit of using this technology - some will see a benefit and some won’t. It’s like I like IPA beers and other don’t. Channeling Ducksface a bit here. Miss him.
He's lurking. Say his name 3 times and he may appear.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 10:32 PM   #16

THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Judge - a mobile antenna for a fixed position satellite. As far as I read Starlink sats are not in a fixed position in the sky but are in a low earth orbit.
We have used the Starlink in forested locations around Mount Hood and the Oregon Coast where our RV was enclosed but the RV park road was open enough that we placed the dish out front. With 75 feet of cable it does make for the ability to adapt. Of course we have had a few times where nothing worked including no cell coverage so we had to suffer like the old days and enjoy the quiet and the fire pit.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:43 PM   #17

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
He's lurking. Say his name 3 times and he may appear.

Like rubbing the Buddha’s belly at Tiger Balm Garden in Hong Kong.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:56 PM   #18

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOIB View Post

I will have to agree on your view of Duckface's comments.

Like you, I need something at home works and on the road. For years DirecTV with DNS and the campground's Internet connection for computer time fit my needs. When the ZTE Mobilie came around for $20 a month, I subscribed. I found the antenna wan not to good, so I moved the SIM to my Pepwave Max Mini. In actuality that is still the preferred Internet connection for my Intranet. I still have DirecTV as I prefer time shifting for most of the linear viewing. I use a portable Slimline 2 antenna on the road. I use a Fire Cube connected to the T- Mobile router for streaming on the road and the LG WEB os5.0 handles the streaming when home. As they say "different strokes for different folks."
Old 11-16-2022, 12:03 AM   #19

Model: 40KQ
State: Oklahoma
THOR #24608
I got the t-mobile Home 5G for my home and for kicks I took it on a trip to florida last may. I had Internet the entire trip. So now I have it with me for the winter down south and no problems. I watch thursday night football with no jitter. At 50 bucks a month and no troubles I think I made the right move.

Just fyi
Old 11-16-2022, 12:45 AM   #20

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by First RV 4 me View Post
I got the t-mobile Home 5G for my home and for kicks I took it on a trip to florida last may. I had Internet the entire trip. So now I have it with me for the winter down south and no problems. I watch thursday night football with no jitter. At 50 bucks a month and no troubles I think I made the right move.

Just fyi
Good deal..if not using you can suspend twice per year with no penalty..
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote