Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2021, 02:27 PM   #1
KKV

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #20141
Best Sound Reducing Updates?

We have a 2017 ACE.

Have done a full suspension upgrade which made a clear difference on ride quality and did reduce some road noise as well. I have lined the dog house which also had a great noise reduction benefit. I believe the awning hinge makes quite a bit of rattle noise which I’m wanting to solve with a clamp down or looped wire. We’ve put door mutes on stove lid and liners between dishes, pots and pans. Anyone else have any top of mind noise reduction tips to share?

Old 01-30-2021, 02:37 PM   #2

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKV View Post
We have a 2017 ACE.

Have done a full suspension upgrade which made a clear difference on ride quality and did reduce some road noise as well. I have lined the dog house which also had a great noise reduction benefit. I believe the awning hinge makes quite a bit of rattle noise which I’m wanting to solve with a clamp down or looped wire. We’ve put door mutes on stove lid and liners between dishes, pots and pans. Anyone else have any top of mind noise reduction tips to share?

I have a Hurricane 31Z and it is really noisy. My bed over the cockpit is a big problem. Not sure what can be done. Lining the doghouse made a big difference. I hope you get some other ideas from the folks on this forum.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:32 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I purchased a stall mat from Tractor Supply:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...t-x--frac12-in

The primary purpose was to cut out shoes for the leveling jack feet which have worked great. But then I had this big mat left over. I cut it to fit around the doghouse and it lays on the floor in the cab area cutting down on both noise and heat from the floor.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:56 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
I put a second layer of Dynamat under the doghouse, and some more under the cab floor, it made a difference in engine and road noise. I want to put some kind of heavy mat/carpet on the cab floor too, others have reported good results. Our overhead bunk would squeak during travel once the weight settled down on the transport pins, a little grease on the pins totally stopped the squeaking. I think the next loudest area, at least in my coach, is wind noise around the front corner pillars. Slowing down makes a huge difference, it drops to almost zero at 40 mph! I know that is not practical, but the noise seems to increase exponentially with speed, 55 mph is a LOT quieter than 70 mph.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:09 PM   #5

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I purchased a stall mat from Tractor Supply:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...t-x--frac12-in

The primary purpose was to cut out shoes for the leveling jack feet which have worked great. But then I had this big mat left over. I cut it to fit around the doghouse and it lays on the floor in the cab area cutting down on both noise and heat from the floor.

Does it stink. I went down to TS to get one but the smell was too strong
Old 01-31-2021, 12:15 PM   #6

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeman View Post
I put a second layer of Dynamat under the doghouse, and some more under the cab floor, it made a difference in engine and road noise. I want to put some kind of heavy mat/carpet on the cab floor too, others have reported good results. Our overhead bunk would squeak during travel once the weight settled down on the transport pins, a little grease on the pins totally stopped the squeaking. I think the next loudest area, at least in my coach, is wind noise around the front corner pillars. Slowing down makes a huge difference, it drops to almost zero at 40 mph! I know that is not practical, but the noise seems to increase exponentially with speed, 55 mph is a LOT quieter than 70 mph.

I wonder if anyone has taken those plastic corner covers off driven down highway checking for air leaks. If it’s aerodynamics there’s probably not a cure. If it’s air leaks there is.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:03 AM   #7

THOR #17235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
I wonder if anyone has taken those plastic corner covers off driven down highway checking for air leaks. If it’s aerodynamics there’s probably not a cure. If it’s air leaks there is.
I plan to do that just to see if there is room for sound deadening material in there. Looking from the outside everything looks pretty tight so I kind of doubt air is actually entering the coach around or through the pillars, at least on mine. I do think the rear view mirrors are creating turbulence and are probably responsible for some noise in that area.
I have seen some diesel pushers with rear view mirrors on long mounting arms. It appears they would be viewed by the driver through the windshield instead of the side window. Does anyone know the reason for the long mounting arms? I think they would reduce turbulence around the windshield and thus noise, but I’m not sure if that is the reason.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:32 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Does it stink. I went down to TS to get one but the smell was too strong
No, maybe they had a stack of freshly made ones? Our TS stores them outside in the weather so maybe we got a "seasoned" one.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:39 AM   #9

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
I insulated every nook and crany that I could on my Axis. It all adds up. Open up any bulkhead area (behind / inside overhead cabinets etc) in the cockpit area and insulate that area as well. Plus all access points and under cabinets (front to back). I bet I added 100# to my RV so far.

I put two / 3 layers under my hood on the firewall and backside of the dash by the front windshield etc. This helped alot.

I tried to angle my side mirrors to limit drag / noise and I added stick on rubber gaskets to key points around the mirrors / windows ..... but I dont think it helped any.

I also insulated under my step well (from the outside) and this helped some.

Some will spray undercoating in the front fender wells or they added some plastic fender wells to reduce road noise but I have not do that yet.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:01 PM   #10

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
I’ve been told the dynamite under the cab floor makes a big difference. Does it stick well if stuck to a good clean surface?
Old 02-04-2021, 12:07 PM   #11

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I’ve been told the dynamite under the cab floor makes a big difference. Does it stick well if stuck to a good clean surface?

Yes it does. You need to clean the surface really well. I put it on my class A almost two years ago and it’s still is holding on.
I put the front levelers down to give me more room. It takes some time to install it but it’s not hard and it made a big difference.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:09 PM   #12

THOR #17765
Thanks for the info. And reply!
Old 02-04-2021, 12:12 PM   #13

THOR #14120
Quote:
Thanks for the info. And reply!

Your welcome. Sitting with the first cup of coffee!! This forum has been such a big help to me. I really try to contribute when ever I can.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:11 PM   #14

THOR #17235
Quote:
I agree, dynamite would make a HUGE difference!
Old 02-05-2021, 01:43 AM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
I agree, dynamite would make a HUGE difference!

But it wouldn’t be quieter!
Old 02-05-2021, 01:58 AM   #16

Model: 29 M Hurricane
THOR #14300
Sound deadening

I used the rubber matting from Lowe’s. Came in 4x6 pieces for around $25. It’s used to stand on usually in a garage. It cuts very easily and stays in place. I made a paper template of the cockpit and got an exact fit. Over that I put a piece of carpet cut from the template and had it bound really finished it off. Also did the dyna mat in the doghouse has made a big difference in noise.

For the wind noise check the window latches. We had a very loud high pitched squeal started at 40 mph and got progressively louder at 60 I was wearing earplugs. Problem was you couldn’t tell where it came from I trouble shot this thing for 6 months. I was getting ready to have the driver and passenger windows replaced by Thor. As we were driving my wife opened the window latch on her window sound went away, close the latch and sound came back. The latch would push the outer window out less than the width of a piece of paper. You’d never notice it but it created a small void that made the noise. Since it’s been adjusted it’s worked great.
RecPro Recliners
Pilobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:05 PM   #17

State: New York
THOR #19252
Side window noise is unbearable! Got any fixes?
Old 02-07-2021, 07:43 PM   #18

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilobob View Post
I used the rubber matting from Lowe’s. Came in 4x6 pieces for around $25. It’s used to stand on usually in a garage. It cuts very easily and stays in place. I made a paper template of the cockpit and got an exact fit. Over that I put a piece of carpet cut from the template and had it bound really finished it off. Also did the dyna mat in the doghouse has made a big difference in noise.

For the wind noise check the window latches. We had a very loud high pitched squeal started at 40 mph and got progressively louder at 60 I was wearing earplugs. Problem was you couldn’t tell where it came from I trouble shot this thing for 6 months. I was getting ready to have the driver and passenger windows replaced by Thor. As we were driving my wife opened the window latch on her window sound went away, close the latch and sound came back. The latch would push the outer window out less than the width of a piece of paper. You’d never notice it but it created a small void that made the noise. Since it’s been adjusted it’s worked great.
........pray tell..... please explain how it was adjusted. You left me hangin!
Old 02-07-2021, 09:43 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
A new flushmount windshield helps alot, or have it resealed, lots of noise came thru windshield mounting at corners, also put window weeps in sides if you can find them. I don;t know why my pictures are sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201210_121019.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	28480   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201210_121043.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	28481  

Old 02-07-2021, 09:47 PM   #20
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkpsport@gmail.com View Post
Side window noise is unbearable! Got any fixes?
Did you read the post above yours?