Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2020, 06:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 24HE (24F)
State: Michigan
THOR #17874
Dinette cushion replacement suppliers

I'm not a fan of the dinette booth cushions in my coach. The covering is some kind of coarse textured fabric/vinyl that leaves a pattern on your thighs if you're wearing shorts and they're hard as a rock.
I'd like to replace them with something more soft and plush that you sink into a bit. I know I can't get that overstuffed sofa feel out of a dinette bench made of plywood but I'd like to get closer if I can.

So far I've found replacement cushions at RecPro (Charles cushions which they state are not actually the same cushions as supplied on their Charles dinette) and Shop4Seats.

Does anyone have either of these or could recommend other off-the-shelf cushions they've purchased? I'm willing to throw a couple hundred at the problem but a custom upholsterer is going to be out of the budget.

For reference I believe the seat cushions measure 48x24x5 and the back cushion is 48x14x5.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #2

State: North Carolina
THOR #19013
Any local upholstery shop should be able to do this for you. I have owned a furniture manufacturing co for 30 years and done quite a bit of commercial work - most likely the cushion is upholstered onto a board unlike a sofa that has a decking with sinuous wire or webbing to give some give and comfort. That being said if you go with a vinyl please remember to have local shop drill holes in the boards so there is a place to vent or you will have yourself one big woopie cushion. Make sure you use ultraviolet protected fabric and most important use ultraviolet protected thread and bobbins. Hope this helps
Bill and Sherry
ps no we dont do recover work lol
Old 09-23-2020, 07:45 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 24HE (24F)
State: Michigan
THOR #17874
That's more or less what I've found in other threads on the topic and what I was afraid of.
I'm probably going to have to think a little more out of the box.

I found these armless sofas (and a ton of similar ones) on Wayfair that look like they'll fit in the space allowed. They look cushy and as a bonus unfold into a sort of bed if I dropped the table.

There are some other more generic sofas and loveseats that I could probably rebuild to fit in the space too. I have some plumbing and electrical that sticks up underneath one of the benches for the slide and the water heater under the other bench that limits how much demo and construction I can do in the space so this will be a real challenge.

Edit: Floor sofa is apparently the thing I'm looking for. Sold mostly for kids rooms due to the size but they happen to be exactly the size of a dinette bench.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Momeyer+43%22+Armless+Sofa+Bed.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	26271