Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2021, 08:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane
State: Florida
THOR #9981
Smile Steering and suspension upgrades.

I have a 2017 Hurricane 34 J and don’t have that many problems driving although probably have adjusted my driving to compensate. I am in need of an alignment which I am going to have done as well as installing a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, and also front and rear Bilstein shocks. I am also thinking of possibly Roadmaster front and rear sway bars and also a Roadmaster track bar. I know that at the end of the day this will be $$$ but I think for safety and peace of mind it will be worth it. What are everyone’s thoughts on this and any other advice?

Old 06-05-2021, 08:42 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: New Jersey
THOR #5166
I installed track bar and sumu springs, then had it aligned. Night and day difference in how it drove.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:28 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freehood View Post
I installed track bar and sumu springs, then had it aligned. Night and day difference in how it drove.
Yep that all I have done, except increasing the caster to 6 degrees.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:13 AM   #4

THOR #9981
Don’t know why apart from what I’ve read I’m not a big fan of sumo springs.
Old 06-06-2021, 02:36 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Of all the things I have done to my Hurricane, sumo springs are the one with the most improvement in ride.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:41 PM   #6

THOR #9981
Maybe have to look again at the sumo springs. LT Keefer what other mods have you done?
Old 06-06-2021, 04:28 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22687
Next month will be new front and rear sway bars and Bilstein shocks for our 28Z.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:21 AM   #8

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
I drove my Hurricane 29m around 600 miles stock as we purchased out of state. When I got it home I installed the roadmaster steering stabilizer and had it aligned. Night and day difference. I had plans for a track bar as well but decided it was good enough the way it was now. I mean I can drive one handed at this point. I would advise doing one thing at a time and seeing how it handles.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:43 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa.bankie View Post
Maybe have to look again at the sumo springs. LT Keefer what other mods have you done?
Pretty basic stuff. Front end alignment, tire pressures for weight, CHF, safe-t-plus then front sumos. The coach is well behaved now.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:56 AM   #10

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Did you do the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix?

CHP, alighnment and about 90lbs air worked wonders for our F53
Old 06-07-2021, 05:50 AM   #11

State: California
THOR #20541
We have a 2020 windsport 34j, drove from dealer in Louisiana to California and immediately added sumo springs when I got home which made a huge difference in ride quality and handling feel. Eventually added Bilstein shocks and roadmaster front and rear sway bars and had the alignment done. Each component has some impact on how the coach handles and rides, so if you have to made a decision on what to add try to first think about what problem/annoyance you're looking to solve. I am glad I did everything but the sumo springs were the most "bang for buck" in that they helped reduce multitude of different ride quality issues I had (rocking back and forth, porpoising, stability in wind, etc). They made such a difference that my wife, who is always the passenger, could feel the difference when we pulled out of our driveway and the coach didn't rock like it always did. Happy to answer any questions you may have given the coaches are similar just a couple years apart.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:17 AM   #12

THOR #9981
Definitely doing an alignment as it’s needed and a safe-T- plus stabilizer, will also replace the shocks with Bilsteins G6. I have read comparisons between Koni, Bilsteins and Monroe’s and the Koni’s which are expensive come out on top on straight driving they leave a lot to be desired in other areas. After I do this upgrade I will see where I’m at and maybe go sway bars and possibly rear track bar. Still undecided on sumo springs they seem as if they are just glorified bump stops.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: New Jersey
THOR #5166
The rear trackbar seemed to do the most difference to me. No more tail wag after trucks passed made the front end easier to handle.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:00 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #15745
I have a 2019 Hurricane34j and I installed the Roadmaster RSSR steering stabilizer. That helped. Then I installed SUMO Springs all around and had it aligned and that made a big difference.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:15 PM   #15

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
I have a 2020 ACE, it already has a Roadmaster rear sway bar and a Roadmaster Reflex steering damper and drives really well. I just received my Roadmaster front sway bar which I install this weekend (didn't want to go for the CHF). I would assume it will handle even better after the installation.

My take on Sumo springs. I had them on two Sprinter Class C RVs and, in my opinion, give you a rough ride. I wouldn't put them on another RV if I get them for free.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:26 PM   #16

THOR #15745
I do find the Sumo Springs give a firmer ride but I do not get the sway from the wind and Semi Trucks as they pass. I’m very satisfied with them.
FMCA Member
Old 06-16-2021, 04:54 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Oregon
THOR #19629
I upgraded the Front Swaybar and added one to the Rear from Roadmaster, also added the steering stabilizer. Certainly a big improvement on drivability and eliminating 80% of the white knuckle syndrome. Considering adding Sumo's and Rear Track Bar next. I hear a lot about shocks and see quad kits for RV's, hard to feel good about replacing shocks with low miles...but better quality ride is what you hope for. I think each rig has a sweet spot pending length, chassis and how much weight you carry. Who new RVing would end up making one become a backyard mechanic/maintence tech.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:33 PM   #18

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPass58 View Post
I upgraded the Front Swaybar and added one to the Rear from Roadmaster, also added the steering stabilizer. Certainly a big improvement on drivability and eliminating 80% of the white knuckle syndrome. Considering adding Sumo's and Rear Track Bar next. I hear a lot about shocks and see quad kits for RV's, hard to feel good about replacing shocks with low miles...but better quality ride is what you hope for. I think each rig has a sweet spot pending length, chassis and how much weight you carry. Who new RVing would end up making one become a backyard mechanic/maintence tech.
I am with you on the shocks. Our ACE has 6300 miles and I believe that Ford installed Bilstein shocks which is one of the better brands.

I haven't even installed the front Roadmaster sway bar yet and the stability/handling is way better then a 2016 Holiday Rambler I test drove. That RV was actually worst the the 2006 Sightseer we used to have.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:58 PM   #19

THOR #15745
If you are going to replace the shocks. Replace them with Koni. They are the best from what I have researched.
FMCA Member
Old 06-16-2021, 11:08 PM   #20

THOR #9981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmanrick View Post
If you are going to replace the shocks. Replace them with Koni. They are the best from what I have researched.
What I have researched Koni’s are not that forgiving and give you a hard ride. They are good on the straightaways but not so much on cornering.

Tags
steering, suspension, upgrades