Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2019, 11:04 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That's an option... As long as you figure in s change in the differential's gearing.

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:17 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yep, might add the 5 star tune as well for added power to overcome the larger tires.

But some other members added larger tires to C class and Vegas RV's for that added clearance and they reported improved ride (Smoother) and no problems with power on the road. Do your own research.

I might try a little taller next time when mine are worn out (really expired).

My Axis sits pretty low.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #23

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I did some research on the tires.
Figuring, maybe a higher than E rating on the same 225/75-R16 platform ours has.

Learned more than I thought I already knew.
E is eight ply rating, not necessarily eight actual plies.
I could not find a definite weight carry capacity for a rated tire vs a higher rating.
The info may be there, but my efforts were thwarted by my search engine?

I did find higher rated tire's in that size, but they were trailer tires, limited tread design, and I am not sure how they would work not on a trailer.

Looking at the Rickson Tire site, https://ricksontruckwheels.com/wheels-ford-e350450.php , their upgrade in size, and H rated tires is 215/75-R17.5.

I found a tire size comparison calculator and plugged in both tire sizes.
Note, this calc did not allow the half size, so I compared between 17" & 18" rims.
There is maybe an actual 1/2" height difference between the two sizes, at least the way I discerned it. (215 tire has shorter sidewalls)
And maybe 3.5 mph difference at 65 mph on the speedometer.

My thinking is; that this is not much of a physical height difference.
Although, the tire's should carry a heavier load, and that is a safety factor I liked.
But a complete swap out to larger steel rims and tires, with wheel covers, takes this to about $4000 for seven tire's & rims, four wheel covers (I carry a spare).

I, personally, am not ready for the expense.
We are building a covered storage and cement pad first.
But it is on my want to modify list, especially if this RV is going to be with us long term.
We are but maybe 6 months into it, and like it so far, so much so, the 5 Star tune has been done.

I should have gotten one a lot longer ago! LOL
That said, not regretting the motorcycle, pulling a trailer, tent, coolers, cooking gear, in tow scenario, that I still like to do.
However, the RV is easier! (did I just say that?)
Old 02-07-2019, 08:15 PM   #24

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Good to know.... so your saying you could not find a tire with a Half inch overall height change that would fit the OEM 16 inch rims? Thats odd... I have not research it yet but I would have thought there was one on the market.

Did you look at tires that are a little wider than factory as well? But would still fit on the OEM rims? Or perhaps some has aftermarket 16 steel rims that are half to one inch wider so we can mount an oversized tire too?

Yeah your right.... its not worth that kind of expense for just a half inch height change. But it would be pretty sweet if one could find larger tires that would fit the rims.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #25

THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Good to know.... so your saying you could not find a tire with a Half inch overall height change that would fit the OEM 16 inch rims? Thats odd... I have not research it yet but I would have thought there was one on the market.

Did you look at tires that are a little wider than factory as well? But would still fit on the OEM rims? Or perhaps some has aftermarket 16 steel rims that are half to one inch wider so we can mount an oversized tire too?

Yeah your right.... its not worth that kind of expense for just a half inch height change. But it would be pretty sweet if one could find larger tires that would fit the rims.
Well, not sure if they make a taller tire for a 16" rim, I was looking for same tire size with a higher load rating.
No, did not consider wider nor narrow tires.
I was trying to keep it simple on affecting the speedometer, and present tire/wheel clearances, hence search size being same.

And with the calculator, it did not recognize the decimal point.
Trying to insert 17.5 for a comparison, it took it as 175" rim, lol.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator

Here is another
https://tire-calc.com/

So to get a much taller overall tire, more like going to a 225/75-R17.5 instead of a 215/75 like Rickson suggests.
My worry is suspension travel clearance as the tire moves up into the wheel well, and/or when turning the steering wheel all the way.
https://ricksontruckwheels.com/wheels-ford-e350450.php

Let us know if you find something and figure it out.

For those that have driven a Ford Raptor truck in reverse with the wheel turned all the way, know what I mean. Clug-clug-clug as the edge of the tire rubs the plastic inner fender well!
With factory stock sized tire's, done that since new!
Old 02-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #26

THOR #13869
Our Outlaw gets loaded pretty good, carrying two motorcycles, full water supply, and water is nearly 8 lbs a gallon, plus everything else we take.
I never really thought about what the tire's can withstand, until I started reading these threads.
So I do want a safety factor.
But I could not find a definite: this tire load rating "X" equals this weight range capability.
My search took me to the differences in air pressure, combined with manufacturer, then onto history of ply ratings, to things are rated differently now with modern materials that equal old way...
It just eluded me that's all, I am sure the info is out there, maybe someone can shed some light with a link?

Then, there is the scare factor in advertising, to prevent those tire blow outs you should...
Is it that common of a problem?
Then, is it tire age factor?
They do develop a dry rot and cracks.

Meanwhile I carry a spare, and I will get something like Rickson Tire recommends as an upgrade, it just will take a while to fit a budget, first things first.
Besides about 65 mph, or less, is all I am comfortable driving the RV.

Ours came equipped with Michelin 225/75-R16, load range E, and now have 12,000 miles on them.
75psi in fronts, 80psi in rears.