Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #13937
Bottom’ing Out Problem

I have a 2019 Miramar 35’ and can not get it up my driveway, because I have a bit of a hill🥺

Any suggestions if casters can be installed to help with this? I was on the phone yesterday with Thor - but they made no suggestions to solve this .... other than ‘can you maybe reconfigure your driveway’😆

I have googled “casters for RV’s” etc and there appears to be some mixed thoughts.... like maybe casters could cause the frame to tweak etc.

What do the pros say here?

Thanks in advance

Old 02-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Its it at the road (Street) where your driveway meets? I have seen some premade (and homemade) ramps (some out of thick rubber or plastic) you can leave at the curb to help with that transition .... and always try and attack at an angle (never straight on).

But with the long wheel base RV's that may not help much.

I like the idea of HD casters on the lowest part of the rearend. The frames are very thick - I cannot imagine having a caster that occasionally lifts the rearend some would harm it in any way. Of coarse you always want to go very slow when you know its going to hit.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:08 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I've always felt that rollers simply LOWER your rear frame, making clearance even MORE of any issue - but some feel as if the wheels help to 'allow' the frame to 'roll over' the culprit.... but having the hitch or rear frame rail 'scrape' is not going to harm anything, even if it sounds like it.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:09 PM   #4

THOR #13937
Thanks for your input buddy.

Unfortunately it’s the bottom end as it connects to the street and we don’t have the street width to approach and proceed up at any angle��

I think I’ll try the casters and see. Hopefully we’ll hear from a fellow owner who’s encountered the same.

If only it had air bags
Old 02-05-2019, 03:21 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exilenla View Post
Thanks for your input buddy.

Unfortunately it’s the bottom end as it connects to the street and we don’t have the street width to approach and proceed up at any angle��

I think I’ll try the casters and see. Hopefully we’ll hear from a fellow owner who’s encountered the same.

If only it had air bags
You can add air bags...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You can add air bags...
More expensive; but definitely will solve the problem!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
^^^Agree...anything that "intentionally" drags may transfer damage upward. That's a lot of weight and it has to go somewhere and the concrete/asphalt is much stronger than the construction of the coach. Is there working room enough to set out some long ramps that would even out the dip a little? Post a picture...we're like kindergarten kids...we love pictures!!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #8

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I got a pair of these low profile rollers for our last MH. It drug so bad that the square ring that re-enforces the hitch had worn very badly. I had a welder/fabricator friend weld a new ring on when we started towing our car. I transferred them over to the new ws31, but it very seldom drags.
https://www.etrailer.com/Skid-Wheels...48-979018.html
Old 02-05-2019, 05:24 PM   #9

THOR #12231
99dart, I like those rollers. Never seen one quiet like that. I would try these if I had any issues.

I wonder if they make some sort of sliders or skids out of a hard plastic that will allow the low parts to contact but minimize noise and scraping to the frame and concrete? Plus it would minimize drag or resistantance to allow it to "slide" instead of scraping.

That way its only about 1/4 inch think of extra material instead of one inch (or more) for a caster.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 02-05-2019, 06:52 PM   #10

THOR #13937
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
^^^Agree...anything that "intentionally" drags may transfer damage upward. That's a lot of weight and it has to go somewhere and the concrete/asphalt is much stronger than the construction of the coach. Is there working room enough to set out some long ramps that would even out the dip a little? Post a picture...we're like kindergarten kids...we love pictures!!!
I'll snap one tonight
Old 02-05-2019, 06:59 PM   #11

THOR #13937
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
I got a pair of these low profile rollers for our last MH. It drug so bad that the square ring that re-enforces the hitch had worn very badly. I had a welder/fabricator friend weld a new ring on when we started towing our car. I transferred them over to the new ws31, but it very seldom drags.
https://www.etrailer.com/Skid-Wheels...48-979018.html
I'm thinking of giving these a try....

https://www.campingworld.com/skid-wh...iABEgLf3fD_BwE

I hope the Fiberglass at the very rear of the coach isn't lower than what the casters will be when attached to the hitch.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:41 PM   #12

THOR #12231
I like that design. Easy on and off.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:51 PM   #13

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
A few years ago we were in Branson MO and for you that have been there during tourist season know what hell the traffic is. Well this day a tour bus was pulling out of one of the theaters on the main drag. He had casters on the rear to help with entrances and exits. Trouble was, he pulled out onto the street and the rollers contacted, the bus proceeded about 2 feet when the drive tires became airborne and there he sat. And there everyone on the street sat.

There are ramps to help with this. In fact you can make them with good quality 2X8s and a support block in the center.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:27 PM   #14

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
I'm thinking of giving these a try....

https://www.campingworld.com/skid-wh...iABEgLf3fD_BwE

I hope the Fiberglass at the very rear of the coach isn't lower than what the casters will be when attached to the hitch.
Those CW rollers look like a cheap gimmick to me ... Highly doubt those can handle RV type weight touching down, especially if swiveled wrong! I would guess those to work maybe once before they won't swivel at a minimum.

The Ultra-Fab, previously linked, would be my choice of those 2 by far!
Old 02-05-2019, 11:37 PM   #15

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
I've watched very long, and low RVs being loaded on ferries. Tides can make those docks 15 - 20 feet different - so sometimes there are very steep conditions. The crew that load the rigs watch very carefully. As soon as they're about to bottom out, they place 2X8s under the tires - raise it up a bit - and keep doing that until things level out. (Usually no more than 3 boards.)
If it's good enough for the pros, I would think it would work for you. I agree with Mountainsam. You could build something very simple. It would mean you would have to store them until you need them. But I think it would work.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:33 AM   #16

THOR #13937
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongrant View Post
I've watched very long, and low RVs being loaded on ferries. Tides can make those docks 15 - 20 feet different - so sometimes there are very steep conditions. The crew that load the rigs watch very carefully. As soon as they're about to bottom out, they place 2X8s under the tires - raise it up a bit - and keep doing that until things level out. (Usually no more than 3 boards.)
If it's good enough for the pros, I would think it would work for you. I agree with Mountainsam. You could build something very simple. It would mean you would have to store them until you need them. But I think it would work.
Yeah the "ramps" is sounding like the best longterm solution. Just means i need to get the coach out of storage and mess about with building them. I just want to load up and go.... can't be hassled with building stuff on the weekend
Old 02-06-2019, 12:34 AM   #17

THOR #13937
p.s I'm diggin' the input and help! thanks all!
Old 02-06-2019, 02:51 AM   #18

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
A few years ago we were in Branson MO and for you that have been there during tourist season know what hell the traffic is. Well this day a tour bus was pulling out of one of the theaters on the main drag. He had casters on the rear to help with entrances and exits. Trouble was, he pulled out onto the street and the rollers contacted, the bus proceeded about 2 feet when the drive tires became airborne and there he sat. And there everyone on the street sat.

There are ramps to help with this. In fact you can make them with good quality 2X8s and a support block in the center.
I've always imagined something like that as a possibility, but never heard or read of it really happening. Funny.

I've considered putting some on....especially after the first time I dragged...but I've only ran into that issue a small number of times
and
my rig is on the E-450 chassis with a very long extension frame sticking out back there. I'm very doubtful that this frame would do well supporting the whole weight of the RV...or perhaps even a majority....so I'm not too keen on adding something that will cause me to contact the ground even a few inches sooner, because that's a few more inches of lift that will be trying to bend that frame.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:39 PM   #19

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Yeah the "ramps" is sounding like the best longterm solution. Just means i need to get the coach out of storage and mess about with building them. I just want to load up and go.... can't be hassled with building stuff on the weekend

Park it on the street and leave the motor running.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:06 PM   #20

THOR #12231
Perhaps in a year or two you might be in the market for new tires? Well try and get some that are an inch or two TALLER than the current ones? That might be just enough to help?

Do you pictures of what your dealing with?