Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2022, 01:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Washington
THOR #25353
"Braille" buttons on the light panel

I'm not sure if other panels are like mine or not. I have a 2022 Magnitude and the light switches are on panels with multiple areas to push for several different switches. Its very convenient, except in the dark. If you are in the dark, then the panels are a pain.

My bright idea was to get some cabinet door bumpers at Lowe's and stick them on the "switch" that I wanted most on any particular panel. That is, living room lights at the entrance, kitchen lights at the kitchen, etc.

I have to say "its a great idea"! I now just find-the-dot and I know what switch I'm hitting. Works great.

Old 01-06-2022, 01:53 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Brilliant idea... I LIKE IT!
Old 01-06-2022, 01:47 PM   #3

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Brilliant idea... I LIKE IT!
GF did the same thing and you just had to feel around for the bump. Her first effort was too big a bump and it wouldn't activate the switch. Fortunately the Valencia is programmed so touching the pad turns on the pad backlight. The one in the bath has a dim backlight on all the time. Nice not having to "search" for the pad. Perhaps a programming change could be made to the pads to enable the backlit feature. Valencia has the same/similar VegaTouch Mira system.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:09 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Why not just buy a small flashlight?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:10 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Why not just buy a small flashlight?
I often use my phone's screen as a dim flashlight - it's just bright enough to see, but doesn't blind you if your eyes have adjusted to the dark.

I keep small LED flashlights throughout the MH, but they're a shock to the eyes if you've been asleep!
Old 01-06-2022, 04:46 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Age does funny things to one's vision: doesn't it?
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1641487567
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Magoo.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	35516  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:07 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Judge beat you to it!

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...ign-22840.html
Old 01-06-2022, 07:39 PM   #8

THOR #25353
It does appear I wasn't the first to come up with this great idea, but it wasn't judge either. Looks like it was pstandiford who should receive the credit. I can, however, say that I came up with the idea on my own and that has its own rewards. :-) It is a marvelous idea. Someone mentioned putting a drop of silicone on the button. I wouldn't do that as it can't be easily undone. The cabinet dots can be easily removed or changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
There are other threads about this issue. There are switches available from Firefly with backlight but I don’t know the cost. We simply got the adhesive rubber bumpers for cabinet doors and put one on the primary light for each switch plate. Go into bathroom, feel the rubber bumper and know that is the bathroom light and not the bedroom light. Works great and we have not had any issue since. Simple inexpensive solution.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:06 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdub View Post
It does appear I wasn't the first to come up with this great idea, but it wasn't judge either. Looks like it was pstandiford who should receive the credit. I can, however, say that I came up with the idea on my own and that has its own rewards. :-) It is a marvelous idea. Someone mentioned putting a drop of silicone on the button. I wouldn't do that as it can't be easily undone. The cabinet dots can be easily removed or changed.
Well one of the wise ones on here turned me onto it when we bought our 2020 rig!

You did name it RV Braille! Ha

Know my buttons in my bathroom in middle of night and same with wife's bathroom with them.

I have forty left in a pack, wonder if they went up in value!
Old 01-07-2022, 10:51 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
How much for 5 buttons?
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 11:04 PM   #11

THOR #25353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
How much for 5 buttons?
Unfortunately, you can't buy just 5. I got mine at Lowe's. I think I got a sheet of about 16 or 20 for $4 or $5. They aren't much. I wish you were near me, I'd give you what you need. vw
Old 01-09-2022, 12:16 AM   #12

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
mine has different kind of buttons, but on one of our first trips out about 7-8 years ago maybe, I had a similar frustration...and asked my daughters (about 6 or 7 at the time) for a sticker to put on the light switch as a temporary visual marker until I could do something better....
She quickly produced a little yellow sticker, approx 1/4 inch square and maybe 2mm or so thick and stuck it to the "on" side of the switch. That same sticker is still there all these years later helping us to find that button at night!

I think your solution is a brilliant thing to use, especially if you don't have a kid with a sticker collection Great idea!
Old 01-12-2022, 08:55 PM   #13

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Glowing stickers

They make fluorescent stickers and a clear fluorescent marker too
Old 01-12-2022, 08:56 PM   #14

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
I actually use my iPhone mostly to turn on the lights
Old 01-12-2022, 09:42 PM   #15

State: Georgia
THOR #13916
Light switch panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdub View Post
I'm not sure if other panels are like mine or not. I have a 2022 Magnitude and the light switches are on panels with multiple areas to push for several different switches. Its very convenient, except in the dark. If you are in the dark, then the panels are a pain.

My bright idea was to get some cabinet door bumpers at Lowe's and stick them on the "switch" that I wanted most on any particular panel. That is, living room lights at the entrance, kitchen lights at the kitchen, etc.

I have to say "its a great idea"! I now just find-the-dot and I know what switch I'm hitting. Works great.

I put a small green stick on jewel that you can buy a card with 100 at any craft store like Hobby Lobby on the one I use the most
Old 01-12-2022, 10:01 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #15052
Light Switch Pad

Hey! that was my idea 2 years ago in my Hurricane. The problem is every time I turn a light on, like the Master Switch in the entrance, I say to myself "I am really a smart guy". Guess there are a lot of smart guys in RVs.
Toad 2 - 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Fordste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:58 AM   #17
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
I am glad I have an older rig with switches. Simple. The touch panels are great until they don't work. A switch part number is on its body and can be found. The panel well it has limited production life and maybe attached to a computer center. If that fails, and the unit is out of production, your so pooped with your rig. We had a friend with a new trailer with touch panel controls for everything and it glitch several times every outing for the first eight outings and eventually failed. Three months later the dealer determined the the computer the panel was attached to was bad and four weeks later one was found to replace it. It was not the touch panel, but the computer control. He almost dumped it for a big loss. He still has it, but is looking for something without a touch panel. Nothing exist without the nice touch panels connected to a computer. Give me switches. Others can have the nice bling panels.