Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2020, 07:49 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
Nice job. Thanks
Thanks. I didn't realize you also had a Colorado. I can give you more specifics on the items in the pictures and I also have an editable "Prepare to Tow/Stop Towing" checklist if you like. It may help prevent you from making the same mistakes I did the first few times we towed our Colorado.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:13 PM   #22

State: Arizona
THOR #7580
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Thanks. I didn't realize you also had a Colorado. I can give you more specifics on the items in the pictures and I also have an editable "Prepare to Tow/Stop Towing" checklist if you like. It may help prevent you from making the same mistakes I did the first few times we towed our Colorado.

That would be great. If ok, just email to me at sdwest.dw@gmail.com
Old 10-31-2020, 09:32 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #15052
Like suggested before I power my RTI braking system with a battery jumper box. I have had the battery in my new Jeep get drained to dead on 2 day trips. The jumper box seems to last longer and I can recharge it at night.
I do now want to add additional wires from the TOAD to the RV. It’s another connection that will weather and possibly fail.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:01 PM   #24

Model: 24fe
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20046
This may or may not apply to your situation. I have a 2020 Chevrolet Spark that I tow with a 2018 Mercedes based class C that also requires the car's negative battery be disconnected. I also use a Blue OX baseplate and tow bar as well as a Brake Buddy supplemental braking system. In my towing set up, I have also included a 12V charge line to the car battery powered by the RV.

The charge line to the car battery created a problem in that the metal to metal physical attachment of the tow bar to both the RV chassis (through the hitch) and the car chassis (through the baseplate) supplied the RV negative ground to the car. If I just disconnected the car's negative battery cable, I would still have a complete 12V circuit powering the car's systems provided by the 12V RV positive battery charge cable to car battery and the negative from the RV chassis ground to the car's chassis ground. The RV would be powering the car's systems.

I solved this problem by disconnecting the positive battery cable when towing. disclaimer: One has to be very careful when disconnecting the positive cable, with the negative cable connected, so that you do not touch any grounded metal with your tools. You can first disconnect the negative battery cable before disconnecting the positive cable and then reattach the negative cable. I am only telling you how I solved my issue and I am not recommending for anyone to do what I did. Emulating these procedures would be at your own risk. Disconnecting the positive battery cable can result in both damage to the vehicles and injury.

Unfortunately, the positive battery terminal on the Spark also has an electrical device attached. The cars positive runs through this device but the device can be detached from the battery clamp consequently cutting off battery power to the car's systems. The first photo shows the device. The same photo also shows the positive connection for the charge line from the RV and the positive power connection for the Brake Buddy connected to the positive battery clamp. The 2nd photo shows the positive device secured away from the battery by tying it to the washer fluid filler tube.

The 3rd photo shows a factory ground screw that I used for the negative of the Brake Buddy, the RV to car wiring harness and charge, and the Blue OX tail light bulbs in the rear light housings.

The 4th photo shows the Spark's battery configuration before I attached the power cables for the Brake Buddy and the charge line. A single nut disconnects the device from the positive battery clamp.

If you do not have this same positive device in your system, it would be a lot easier to put on a positive disconnect. I have seen photos using a blade switch on the positive battery terminal. Again, you have to be very careful and, as stated above, proceed at your own risk when working on the positive battery cable with the negative battery cable connected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2048.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	26972   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2040.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	26973  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2042.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	26974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2041.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	26975  

Old 10-31-2020, 11:26 PM   #25

State: Arizona
THOR #7580
Thanks to everyone for the information and options.