Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2019, 06:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
Small Propane bottle to/from RV Propane tank.

I got about 8 to 10 of the small propane bottles; the ones about 1/2 the size of a 2 litter soda bottle. Some are full but most are between 1/4 and 3/4 full. Is there a adapter hose or fitting or other device I can use to fill and/or empty the small bottles from/into the main propane tank on the RV? perhaps though the Grill connection?

i'd like to carry 1 or 2 for spare (for.ex. if there is a leak in the big system.) and outdoor use like a heater or lantern.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
From the permanently mount RV tank? No. Both the big tank and your portable bottles are filled with liquid propane that boils off as a gas that you burn. No way to get liquid out of the RV tank, easily, to refill the portable cans. I've heard of using a 20 lbs barbecue tank flipped upside down to refill portables but haven't had a need to attempt.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster View Post
I got about 8 to 10 of the small propane bottles; the ones about 1/2 the size of a 2 litter soda bottle. Some are full but most are between 1/4 and 3/4 full. Is there a adapter hose or fitting or other device I can use to fill and/or empty the small bottles from/into the main propane tank on the RV? perhaps though the Grill connection?

i'd like to carry 1 or 2 for spare (for.ex. if there is a leak in the big system.) and outdoor use like a heater or lantern.

No way to transfer the propane between tanks, but you can add a device like Extend-a-Stay between the RV tank and regulator that will allow you to connect a portable tank to the RV (main tank stays off while using).
I’ve used this on long trips to run the RV off 20lb bottles... Also provides a high pressure connection to run a grill or other appliance. Appliance must have a regulator in this setup.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #4

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
From the permanently mount RV tank? No. Both the big tank and your portable bottles are filled with liquid propane that boils off as a gas that you burn. No way to get liquid out of the RV tank, easily, to refill the portable cans. I've heard of using a 20 lbs barbecue tank flipped upside down to refill portables but haven't had a need to attempt.
I have done this.
With the appropriate adapter in place connecting the small tank to the 20 lb tank, first you put the one being filled and to be put in the freezer for a half hour to an hour.
Then the 20 lb tank needs to be more than half full.
Yes, turn it upside down before opening the valve, and fill in this position.
Beware, the shrader valve in those little green bottles will eventually go bad.
Then they leak!
Happened to me too many times, now I have an adapter for the 20 lb tank to run my grill, or stove top, that those small bottles connect to.

As for on the rig:
I believe it is better to have the connection, inline on the rig, between rig's tank and regulator, then use a 20 lb tank hooked up with the rig's tank shut off tight.

Save the re-filling to the professionals.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:57 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
I have not heard of transferring the 1 lb bottles to a larger tank. As stated there is an adapter to hook a 20 - 40 lb bottle to the Rv. As far as filling the 1 lb bottles I have been doing it for years. Freeze the empties and have the 20 lb tank at room temperature attach bottle invert 20 lb tank, open valve and fill til you can’t here gas going into small bottle. Close valve on 20 lb tank, invert and unscrew the 1 lbr . Easy peasy. The adapter to fill from the 20 lb tank cost me around $20. The small bottles on average cost about $4. At today’s average price for propane there’s about 80 cents worth of propane in a 1 lb bottle. The only issue I have had with refilling is I have only been able to get a 1 lb bottle about 3/4 full. Some guys use a needle nose to pull open the relief valve on top of the 1 lb bottle get a complete fill I just carry a could extra bottles as that is more messing around than I care to do. After 3 - 4 fills though the valve on top of the small bottles may start to seep time to recycle that bottle. As most folks throw the 1 lbrs away there is never a shortage of bottles available to refill. If you use a propane lantern, portable heater, table top grill or stove refilling is the way to go.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote