Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2016, 02:18 AM   #41
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
W02 Universal Car 5.5 inch HUD Head Up Display Projector OBD II Speed Warning

Had time to check Amazon and Ebay...some are shipped from China..others US..
All of them appear to be the same...even the box ! although some are bluetooth and some, apparently not.
I am posting a couple of screen shots regarding the units.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1441646871664-P-67659.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	1622

Name:	1441298043996-P-67659.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	1623Click image for larger version

Name:	OBD HUD diagram.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1624

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:44 AM   #42

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
W02 Universal Car 5.5 inch HUD Head Up Display Projector OBD II Speed Warning

Had time to check Amazon and Ebay...some are shipped from China..others US..
All of them appear to be the same...even the box ! although some are bluetooth and some, apparently not.
I am posting a couple of screen shots regarding the units.
Attachment 1622
Attachment 1623Attachment 1624
I was speaking of the shipping only. I am sure they are the same units for USA/Canada sale. Took a long time to arrive and no tracking.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #43
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
I was speaking of the shipping only. I am sure they are the same units for USA/Canada sale. Took a long time to arrive and no tracking.
agree...I have received products from China...coming on the sloooow boat !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-24-2016, 12:25 PM   #44

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
From the pics on Amazon it looks like the wire is really tiny. You may be able to snake it down under/into the dash and have it pop out from under the top panel (the one with the two thumbscrews holding it down). Then you only have a short bit of wire from that panel to where it rests on the dash.
Snip
Good idea. I will take a look at that and see if there is a path thru there. Guess the wire on the dash is not an excuse to not get a HUD anymore.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:39 PM   #45
vkb

THOR #3510
Hud

I have read all the threads regarding the HUD...Today, we were on hiway..I am curious...I know some of you have ordered the unit...has anyone installed it?
As we are looking at where the 'film' must be placed on the windshield, in order to see it...it would have to be about even with the top windshield wiper..or in that general vicinity...in sight line with driver...
with that said...where would you place the unit so it would project on the film ? that is quite a difference in distance, from laying on the surface of the dashboard next to the windshield up the film.
What am I missing or am I just too cautious/ignorant of the device ?!

Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-24-2016, 07:49 PM   #46

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
All,

Just got notification that my HUD has been sent out today. Looks like the new toy will be here over Easter Holiday and I'll have some dead time to get it up and running. Pictures will be provided once done.

VKB...I've got the same questions and hope to figure them out OJT style.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:33 PM   #47

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
This thread about HUD displays got me thinking. I had been jonesing for a ScanGauge II. I decided on an OBDLink MX WiFi and will use it on my iPhone with the radio displaying my iPhone screen.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:57 PM   #48

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
I have read all the threads regarding the HUD...Today, we were on hiway..I am curious...I know some of you have ordered the unit...has anyone installed it?
As we are looking at where the 'film' must be placed on the windshield, in order to see it...it would have to be about even with the top windshield wiper..or in that general vicinity...in sight line with driver...
with that said...where would you place the unit so it would project on the film ? that is quite a difference in distance, from laying on the surface of the dashboard next to the windshield up the film.
What am I missing or am I just too cautious/ignorant of the device ?!

Kay
If you are driving an F-16 you may need the HUD right in front of your eyes. In an RV I think it is designed to get the dashboard info from underneath the dashboard to somewhere in the lower part of the windshield so you can access it more easily.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #49
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
If you are driving an F-16 you may need the HUD right in front of your eyes. In an RV I think it is designed to get the dashboard info from underneath the dashboard to somewhere in the lower part of the windshield so you can access it more easily.
I agree with you Oneil ..
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-24-2016, 10:31 PM   #50
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys
But but I want to wear the helmet with the hud on the visor, including the aiming lines for the mini-gun I'm going to mount on the roof of the Axis.

Quick aside: was at an air show last summer where I got myself, my son, and some of his friends a ride in a Huey. Here is the back of one of the pilots helmets:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown
This thread about HUD displays got me thinking. I had been jonesing for a ScanGauge II. I decided on an OBDLink MX WiFi and will use it on my iPhone with the radio displaying my iPhone screen.
Now that you have the OBDLink check out the FORScan app. Its made especially for Fords: FORScan app
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:47 PM   #51

THOR #1765
"But but I want to wear the helmet with the hud on the visor, including the aiming lines for the mini-gun I'm going to mount on the roof of the Axis."

I think I might be able to find you a Russian one - if you have enough money. It's what I did in a former life..... Had a ride in the back seat of an F-4 once. Think, even a brick will fly if you provide enough power. Still screaming!!
Old 04-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #52

THOR #1765
Took my new Woot HUD out for a short test drive today any it works as advertised. The splitter also works and both the ScanGuage and HUD seem fully operational at the same time. I was hoping that both the ScanGuage and HUD were "readers" rather than constantly querying the engine computer, and that seems to be the case. In any case, I got speed and rpm data on the HUD and mpg data on the ScanGuage. Looks like it will be a welcome addition for less than $50.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:08 AM   #53

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3306
Quote:
Took my new Woot HUD out for a short test drive today any it works as advertised. The splitter also works and both the ScanGuage and HUD seem fully operational at the same time. I was hoping that both the ScanGuage and HUD were "readers" rather than constantly querying the engine computer, and that seems to be the case. In any case, I got speed and rpm data on the HUD and mpg data on the ScanGuage. Looks like it will be a welcome addition for less than $50.
Awesome!!
Old 04-06-2016, 02:22 AM   #54
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
When you have time, please post a photo of the positioning of the screen on the windshield and the location of the HUD on the dash?

thankyou !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #55

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRodgers View Post
Here's another little mod - Heads up display - not the greatest, and still need to do some configurations to enable all the features, but not bad either!
Sorry.. But I disconnected everything and put it away and buttoned up the Axis. I am off for a while so I can't put everything back together. However, I put it in exactly the same place as JollyRogers and it seems to work well there. See above post #7 in this thread.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #56

THOR #1765
Bought it on EBay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1725  
Old 04-24-2016, 08:14 PM   #57

State: California
THOR #3552
Quote:
In any case, I got speed and rpm data on the HUD
How did you change to mph for the speed? My list of parameters in the manual has 13 items (none for changing to mph) but my unit has 16 parameters. I tried some random changes but no joy.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:29 AM   #58

State: Illinois
THOR #3306
Quote:
When you have time, please post a photo of the positioning of the screen on the windshield and the location of the HUD on the dash?

thankyou !
This is our original post on the HUD and a picture of where we placed the film - Thor Forums - View Single Post - Camping world?

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2016, 01:47 AM   #59
vkb

THOR #3510
I posted last month, we bought a Coocheer Super Mini Wireless OBD2.. WiFi device which links to an iPhone or iPad (Android too) ..I chose to use my iPad as the display is larger. We have linked it to the iPad..communicates well...just have not had the opportunity to checkout all the features. We upgraded the download to make it possible to check all codes if necessary. It displays all the normal data from the beginning.
That is all I got for now !

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-09-2016, 10:53 PM   #60

Model: 28z
State: Washington
THOR #2161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang94@hot.rr.com View Post
Hmmm.... any one have problems with camping world? Last night I ordered online the bathroom sink facet. Today I check my bank, money has been taken out and the tonight I get this Email from them.

"Thank you for your order! We wanted to let you know that the item(s) listed below that you ordered from us have been delayed. We regret any inconvenience this delay may cause you, and we're working to get your item(s) to you as soon as possible."

No word as to when I should get it. I cancelled my order and reordered thru amazon. I wonder how long it will take me to get my money back?
Same thing happened to me on a tv mount. I disputed it through AMEX (they are really good about that stuff). Got my money back in a couple weeks. CAMPING WORLD IS NOT MY CHOICE for many reasons. Just tried to buy a Class A today (new) and the salesperson (Sandy, Oregon) was rude. It's like they were purposely trying to not sell something to me. I'll go somewhere else.