Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2021, 12:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #20830
Can anyone tell me what this is?

Installed a new converter to support the lithium batteries. Progressive Dynamics 9160AL.

It should be giving me 60 Amps output and I’m only getting 30 (minus the 12v draw at the time)

I trace the power from the 110 plug into the converter,, then I see a positive and negative wire coming out as well as a ground. The positive runs to whatever is in the pic attached and to a post on that device. Then a wire runs from the post into the floor of the RV, and I assume to the battery bank. (It got dark on me).

I’m wondering if I have a bad converter or perhaps it could be the wire gauge? Or is whatever is in the picture causing an issue? Neither really make sense though because I was getting 50 amps from the stock converter for the lead acid batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A9F9A7F6-D6D4-45BB-B7C0-CB8A0A7DC7D6.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	33926  

Old 09-28-2021, 01:18 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Lotsa wires going to that thing. Too many for an AGS so I'm guessing it's the control interface for your RapidCamp or similar multi-device electronic control/display.

And it probably has nothing to do with your charging rate, but the state of charge of the house batteries does. Just because it is capable of charging at 60 amps doesn't mean it always charges at 60 amps, just like the converter/charger you replaced. I suspect the only time you would see anything close to 60 amps is when you first start charging a dead battery. Plus the converter has these features:

Electronic Current Limiting – Automatically reduces output voltage to prevent overheating and possible damage
Automatic Thermal Protection – Reduces charger output to safe levels if unit temperature exceeds safe levels pre-set limits and protects charger damage due to excessive heat
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:28 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #20830
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Lotsa wires going to that thing. Too many for an AGS so I'm guessing it's the control interface for your RapidCamp or similar multi-device electronic control/display.

And it probably has nothing to do with your charging rate, but the state of charge of the house batteries does. Just because it is capable of charging at 60 amps doesn't mean it always charges at 60 amps, just like the converter/charger you replaced. I suspect the only time you would see anything close to 60 amps is when you first start charging a dead battery. Plus the converter has these features:

Electronic Current Limiting – Automatically reduces output voltage to prevent overheating and possible damage
Automatic Thermal Protection – Reduces charger output to safe levels if unit temperature exceeds safe levels pre-set limits and protects charger damage due to excessive heat
You may be right. My biggest drop so far has been to about 65%. The unit is sitting tonight with lights, fans, and TV’s on. I’m going to take them down to about 15% and see if that changes anything.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:57 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Ted is correct.... you are not always going to see 60A.... it will likely be a rareity that you do unless the batteries are deeply discharged.

I did a LiFEPO4 upgrade recently with the same Converter. Wire gauge is also a factor and will impact the actual voltage reading. My Converter is a good 18 linear feet from my house batteries and with the actual wire run it is probably between 25 - 28 feet. Thor really didn't use a heavy enough guage wire for the length of the run and there is a measurable voltage drop based on the FireFly reading and the reading of my Victron SmartShunt.

I did not bother to change out the wiring from my Converter to the new LIFePO4's but I did change out the Inverter wiring. Xantrex recomends no more than a 5' run and Thor had more than 8' of wiring for no good reason. A bunch of the excess was just looped together under the steps. I was able to get the run down to 4 or 5 feet.

On my old Outlaw 29H, Thor had pver a 15' run from the Inverter to the house batteries and the wire was no where near the guage it should have been.