Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2020, 09:27 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Right but I don't think anyone would go through the trouble and not have a Motorhome to drive for months. I also noticed that anything damaged must be claimed through your homeowners or any other insurance a person might have before submitting it to Southwire. I notice that Hughes Autoformers have replacement surge units for about 33 dollars, I'm going to look into them. I like the Idea of a transformer (voltage booster) that turns on if there is low voltage instead of turning off the motorhome. Could you imagine if the motorhome shut down in 100+ degree weather and your pets die
DISCLAIMER: I have little knowledge of Voltage Boosters; but I hear they can only restore a limited amount of voltage and for some limited period of time?

I did research the Hughes before buying the 34951 unit and was told the following about the $33 replacement board:
There was mention of the MOV blowing and being able to replace it which sounds good but may not be as all.

The MOV semiconductor is what is found on cheap surge suppressors and when it blows with a surge then it stops providing any protection and can actually shift voltage to the ground connection and fry whatever is attached.
Another factor why I did not go with the Hughes Watchdog was the bright white light of the dog that is always on when things are normal. It turns Red if any issues, but that light would be annoying to me after a while. Also Southwire does not use Error codes, their screens and displays are large enough to tell you exactly what is wrong in plain English.

Final point in my case.... if my Surge Guard 34951 shuts off power (i.e. due to low voltage condition). My AGS => Onan EC-30 will automatically kick in and start the generator. So my coach will stay cool. When CLEAN power is restored at Pedestal, My AGS wil sense power on the shore power cord line and turn the Generator off.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:34 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger
State: New York
THOR #9265
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
in over 6 years and over 110,000 miles in our diesel pusher we've never used any such device - it's not required, not mandated, not necessary, and generally just a big cost - but if you're 'proud' to have one, then get one. The rest of us don't need one.

You have been very fortunate, so far. Here's hoping Karma does not reward your smug attitude with future electrical problems. My Progressive EMS has saved me several times. Low voltage, high voltage, reverse polarity, bad ground etc. Hope your luck holds.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:38 PM   #23

Model: Challenger
THOR #9265
Why don't you simply call the company and ask them? It seems to me that daisy chaining them is redundant. The EMS will do everything the surge protector will do and more. Keep life simple.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:39 PM   #24

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
no benefit for both. EMS does the work of both.
I have actually been trying to reach Southwire for about a week to ask that question but when they return my call, I am not home

Are you saying it is no benefit to have a 4200 joules surge protector on pedestal in front of the 4200 joules EMS that is in electrical bay?

My presumptive benefit is that if a 6000 joules hit the Pedestal line; it would blow my 44270 surge protector 1st; thus save my Southwire 34951 EMS?

My thinking is for surge concerns only, I can protect my beloved Southwire 34951 EMS that does all of the other important things and actually be backup for surges?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-14-2020, 09:39 PM   #25

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwmjw2 View Post
Why don't you simply call the company and ask them? It seems to me that daisy chaining them is redundant. The EMS will do everything the surge protector will do and more. Keep life simple.

See Post #24
Old 11-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #26

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I think they said "at their discretion" The also reference they may use a repair facility presumably for something like an AC which is not practical to remove to ship just for inspection.

I actually read the warranty BEFORE buying and it was the warranty that made the difference for me to buy the upgraded 34951; in addition to learning about situations of low voltage. Plus I like toys and I already like that really simple to use Wireless Monitor.

Actual warranty related to your concern below...
Southwire reserves the right to review the damaged Surge Guard surge
protector, the damaged equipment, and the site where the damage
occurred. Southwire shall not repair or replace any equipment that has
been discarded before Southwire has had the opportunity to examine it.
All costs of shipping the surge protector and the damaged equipment
to Southwire shall be borne solely by the purchaser. (Southwire will
bear the cost of shipping equipment from Southwire to purchaser). Any
repair or modification of the connected equipment or surge protector
by a facility or entity not authorized by Southwire voids this warranty. If
Southwire determines, in its sole discretion, that it is impractical to ship
the damaged equipment, Southwire may designate, in its sole discretion,
an equipment repair facility to inspect and estimate the cost to repair
such equipment.
The cost, if any, of shipping the equipment to and from
such repair facility and of such estimate shall be borne solely by the
purchaser. Damaged equipment must remain available for inspection
until the claim is finalized. Whenever claims are settled, Southwire
reserves the right to be subrogated under any existing insurance policies
the claimant may have.
I actually had my Southwire ATS go out this summer. I had to go a tad without it; and then I had to take to an Authorized Winnebago Dealer to confirm it was in fact the Transfer Switch. It took them about a week and half to replace.

Lots of sensitive electronics in an RV. It can costs $1,000s quickly trying to troubleshoot if you have licensed electricians. The $400 investment is solid to me given that I didn't see any of the competitors with similar connected equipment.
You're right I looked up Hughes and they have a similar warranty if the surge unit goes out but they don't cover damage to anything else. I didn't read all the way through the Southwire warranty where it said a dealer could inspect it. If it turned out to be camping world by me it might take six months to get it in and get new parts installed. I'm still waiting for a new recliner from Thor. I contacted Thor and they couldn't tell me anything but I did get the number of the company that makes it and they use a recording and say enter the extension of the person you want to talk to and then it hangs up. Hopefully it will be repaired by next spring. I'm still thinking of going with the Hughes with the voltage booster with surge. many campgrounds I've been to the voltage is lower than I like and I would rather change a surge module than get a new unit. There is a 10% off coupon RVGEEKS that will help a little on the price
Old 11-15-2020, 05:25 PM   #27

THOR #20274
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I have little knowledge of Voltage Boosters; but I hear they can only restore a limited amount of voltage and for some limited period of time?

I did research the Hughes before buying the 34951 unit and was told the following about the $33 replacement board:
There was mention of the MOV blowing and being able to replace it which sounds good but may not be as all.

The MOV semiconductor is what is found on cheap surge suppressors and when it blows with a surge then it stops providing any protection and can actually shift voltage to the ground connection and fry whatever is attached.
Another factor why I did not go with the Hughes Watchdog was the bright white light of the dog that is always on when things are normal. It turns Red if any issues, but that light would be annoying to me after a while. Also Southwire does not use Error codes, their screens and displays are large enough to tell you exactly what is wrong in plain English.

Final point in my case.... if my Surge Guard 34951 shuts off power (i.e. due to low voltage condition). My AGS => Onan EC-30 will automatically kick in and start the generator. So my coach will stay cool. When CLEAN power is restored at Pedestal, My AGS wil sense power on the shore power cord line and turn the Generator off.
Have you ever had the generator start by itself in a campground that doesn't allow them or a state or national park?
Old 11-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #28

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #20931
Quote:
Best way to ask this question is to give you context in sequence.

1st thing I bought for my brand new RV was the Surge Guard by Southwire 44270. It has worked great and I am proud of it.

Almost a year later, I have learned that as nice as it is; it is NOT a EMS, does not monitor loads, or show voltage / amps etc., I am looking at the Southwire Surge Guard 34951 model for 50 amps with Bluetooth but it costs $400

To follow where I am going you have to assume I am poorest RV owner in Texas

So here is what I am thinking to help justify this purchase. Suppose I use my existing Surge Guard like I always have, but buy the new EMS 34951 and plug it into the the 44270?

Given, both are rated for 4200 joules protection. If I have large spike wouldn't it destroy the basic $100 - 44270 and save the $400 - 34951? Or is it that if I get hit with say 5,000 joules; it will blow both at the same time?

By now my questions and reason should be simple and I don't come under fire for at least asking. I know the 34951 can protect for surge, but since the surge is destructive to the device, I am wondering if it makes sense to have both anyway? The 34951 can still do all of the other functions to protect the RV, but I would in effect have double protection for electrical spike.
Just us, we purchase a HughesAutoformers.com Watchdog, has all the low/high voltage and amp protection and love it. A couple of times it has tripped and shut off the power and a simple off/on cycle for power it came right back. If the module ever does 'blow out' for about $30.00 I can get a replacement module for it. No where near the $400.00 price tag you stated it is right now is shows around $277.00.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:36 PM   #29

Model: Residency
State: Alabama
THOR #21054
He said "daisy chain."

Giggles...

(Purple flares exploding in the nighttime sky)Click image for larger version

Name:	1000w_q95_BradleyFighting_web.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	27156Click image for larger version

Name:	bradleyfightingvehicle.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	27157
Old 11-15-2020, 06:02 PM   #30

THOR #13058
Quote:
Have you ever had the generator start by itself in a campground that doesn't allow them or a state or national park?
No. My AGS has 3 modes.

1. Manual
2. Quiet
3. Auto

Manual is pretty obvious as that may be on/off whenever you say.
Quiet is what I use at most all campsites, no matter the call condition, the generator will not come on after 10:00PM or before 8:00 AM (user defined)
Auto - mean that it will come on ANY time there is a call i.e. low battery voltage on House or Chassis, or temperature get rise above a set point to start the ACs

Whenever there is Shorepower detected my genset if running will turn off (this bypasses or defeats the ATS which would otherwise send power sourced from Genset if both were hot)

There is an additional setting where I can tell the Genset if it senses a loss of shore power to start generator automatically assuming in Auto or Quiet time modes. If in Quiet time mode, it will not start during the quiet time restricted window.

Old 11-15-2020, 06:09 PM   #31

State: Arizona
THOR #15446
I have a 50 amp top of the line Surge Guard. Over the last 4 years it has saved my motor home twice from surges caused by lightening. Saved me several thousand dollars should I not have it. Was also protected at a campground when a ground hog ate through the buried neutral line, again saved me $$$$. Those without it cost them a great deal and time lost till repairs could be obtained
Old 11-15-2020, 06:14 PM   #32

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by danl61 View Post
Just us, we purchase a HughesAutoformers.com Watchdog, has all the low/high voltage and amp protection and love it. A couple of times it has tripped and shut off the power and a simple off/on cycle for power it came right back. If the module ever does 'blow out' for about $30.00 I can get a replacement module for it. No where near the $400.00 price tag you stated it is right now is shows around $277.00.
And it alerts your phone and tells you exactly what the problem is
Old 11-15-2020, 06:15 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Does the AGS have to be installed as OEM equipment; or can you add them at a later date(3.2 KW diesel generator,)
Old 11-15-2020, 06:19 PM   #34

THOR #20274
Quote:
No. My AGS has 3 modes.

1. Manual
2. Quiet
3. Auto

Manual is pretty obvious as that may be on/off whenever you say.
Quiet is what I use at most all campsites, no matter the call condition, the generator will not come on after 10:00PM or before 8:00 AM (user defined)
Auto - mean that it will come on ANY time there is a call i.e. low battery voltage on House or Chassis, or temperature get rise above a set point to start the ACs

Whenever there is Shorepower detected my genset if running will turn off (this bypasses or defeats the ATS which would otherwise send power sourced from Genset if both were hot)

There is an additional setting where I can tell the Genset if it senses a loss of shore power to start generator automatically assuming in Auto or Quiet time modes. If in Quiet time mode, it will not start during the quiet time restricted window.

We were in a campground and we had bad storms coming and I told the wife we would use the generator if it went out, she was upset that they might kick us out. I told her I wasn't staying around if I didn't have power
Old 11-15-2020, 06:28 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
We were in a campground and we had bad storms coming and I told the wife we would use the generator if it went out, she was upset that they might kick us out. I told her I wasn't staying around if I didn't have power
If bad storms were in the neighborhood: the folks in charge had other things to worry about.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:28 PM   #36

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by danl61 View Post
Don't interpret me as saying one should NOT buy Hughes, Progressive, or any other Mfg EMS capable Mfg products. I reviewed them all and posted what I purchased and why.

For clarity, my $400 is total cost, as you may not have read my earlier posts?

Costs:
$350 for both Surge Guard EMS 34951 & Bluetooth Monitor 40301
$35 for 4' Shore Cord
$15 for Female adaptor
$0 I already owned the Southwire Surge Guard 44270

So $400 overall as I plan to install myself

For my needs, I did not put a premium on what would happen if I actually had a surge to damage my EMS. From my view, if it ever did happen, I would gladly pay $300 to get the new replacement, it may actually come with newer features than my current one that is blown?

I did put a premium on the Connected Equipment Warranty. After all; you buy the devices to protect the equipment from damage; but what if the equipment does not work? Southwire's warranty spoke volumes to me.

Other reason I chose was the bluetooth monitor that is inside RV or portable to take in and out of house and still monitor. Also the displays on device and monitor display exactly the fault of status in english without the error codes that are translated. My wife can read and easily say what it is wrong.

My final knock was that at home we have Pedestal, the Watchdog white light would be bright white light always showing (24/7) and trying to tape over is not something I care to do.

It is akin to why we all have different RV's, different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:32 PM   #37

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Does the AGS have to be installed as OEM equipment; or can you add them at a later date(3.2 KW diesel generator,)
I found this one https://rvautomations.com/automatic-...-start-system/
https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter10.php
Old 11-15-2020, 06:42 PM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks!
Old 11-15-2020, 07:01 PM   #39

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
No it does not need to be installed as OEM equipment

I actually configured myself with some Dealer install help after the purchase. The EC-30 works for all of the Onan Gen Types LP, Gas, & Diesel but in my manual I don't specifically see 3.2 KW diesel? I see QD (Quiet Diesel 5.5, 6/8, & 10/12)

I bought all of the parts myself, EC-30 Controller, Y harness, 12VDC adaptor, & the actual Wiring harness. I paid RV Dealer to run wiring to Genset and put 12VDC adapter before ATS; I had to do all of the other configuration with the EC - 30 controller myself.

Go to this site and call and speak to guy named Richard. NoOutage Home - THE Online Source for Backup and Alternative Power

He is very thorough and will tell you exactly what you need. His pricing is unbeatable. If you do what I did, I just bought it and figured out who would install later. Having the Authorized dealer do it extended the warranty to 3 years on the new EC-30 which I liked.

The EC-30 is by far my favorite toy on the entire RV. My next quest or adventure is this Southwire SurgeGuard 34951 with Wireless Bluetooth. I have it hooked up now on my home Pedestal but no RV to draw any loads on it just yet

I am kind of in bed with Southwire as I now have
1. Southwire SurgeGuard 40100 ATS
2. Southwire SurgeGuard 44270 Power Pedestal Indicator / Surge Protector
3. Southwire SurgeGuard 34951 EMS / Power Pedestal Indicator / Surge Protector
4. Southwire SurgeGuard 40301 Bluetooth Wireless Monitor for 34951
Old 11-15-2020, 07:12 PM   #40

THOR #13058
Quote:
If I knew bad storms were coming, I would not only disconnect the shore power and go to AGS, but prepare everything else to be ready to roll. Unless you needed the ACs you should be able to go at least 12 hours or so off the batteries as in boondocking. But no way I am plugged in during a known electrical storm at a campground despite all of my protective devices.

I mean you talking to a guy that has one umbrellas somewhere, but I don't want be in the rain with it as it may get wet