Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #41
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: pulling the plug on shorepower makes good sense.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Just one question does it automatically prime the generator before trying to start? My Jayco always needed to be primed twice to start and my Thor is not much better
Old 11-15-2020, 08:13 PM   #43
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I would think that is has to...
I'll do a deeper dive into their website tomorrow. I'll have my desktop 'puter in front of me.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:14 PM   #44

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Just one question does it automatically prime the generator before trying to start? My Jayco always needed to be primed twice to start and my Thor is not much better
I have never primed my Onan 5500?

The way it was delivered from Winnebago OEM there is no prime switch capability from inside the coach. The Remote Switch is Simple Start / Stop switch. There is a Stop/Prime switch outside that if you hold that button for 30 seconds it will prime. But the manual says to only do that if you run out of gas if necessary?

Now with the EC-30 Controller it does have feature to Stop/Prime from inside the coach, but again I have never had to prime.

I have two ways to start & stop my Generator manually from inside. The OEM Manual Start / Stop switch and the Manual Start / Stop Switch on the EC-30.

But I think you were asking from Auto Start prospective? If so; if it is somehow Auto Priming, I would never know? I doubt very serious that it Auto Primes, it literally starts in a few seconds

When I was installing all of this, I had the luxury of talking to several Onan Support Analysts. To the Tee they crowed about how important the AGS was for the actual generator. They stated the number of repairs required for generators from owners with a AGS versus those without was night and day. It is why they say Onan Extend the otherwise 1 year warranty to 3 years to align with generator if you buy the EC-30 and have professionally installed.

Slightly off topic, but we use to rent RVs before buying this one. I had the FALSE illusion that running a generator was bad because these owners would restrict you to 4 hrs / day and/or charge some crazy fees per hr of usage. Onan says the best service for any generator to is to run it, change the oil / filter and run it some more

This may frustrate some, but there have been many times when I was at home and it was 90+ degrees and I purposely disconnected shore power to allow the AGS to do it's thing to kick in and run the AC's in the Quiet Time mode Similarly I have tried to see how long I could go with no shore power or generator to see how long I could go before the House batteries hit 12v.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #45

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I would think that is has to...
I'll do a deeper dive into their website tomorrow. I'll have my desktop 'puter in front of me.

Per my manual Onan Manual page 25

https://www.cummins.com/sites/defaul...s/A035D009.pdf

It says...
To only prime after changing fuel filter or running out of gas.

Since all of the Generators are made by Onan what would cause the other units needing to be primed? It may be some issue that needs servicing?

If I had to go outside and take the cover off to start my generator everytime, I would be really pissed
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-15-2020, 08:35 PM   #46
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Both of my Onans had the prime button inside. I found that a minimum of 20 seconds worth of priming was needed for cold starts.
(A 4KW gas, and my current 3.6 KW diesel)
Old 11-15-2020, 08:52 PM   #47

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
in over 6 years and over 110,000 miles in our diesel pusher we've never used any such device - it's not required, not mandated, not necessary, and generally just a big cost - but if you're 'proud' to have one, then get one. The rest of us don't need one.
You've been very lucky & should buy lottery tickets with that luck!
We full-timed for 10+ years traveling 150-200k miles & had our EMS fried 3 times due to miswired pedestals & the power kick off countless from who knows what happened, fortunately I plugged the EMS in EVERY time EVERYWHERE we stopped.
You spent 6 figures on a DP motorhome & $400 worth of insurance on clean power is too much to spend?????
Just for the new rvers among us an EMS should be mandatory EVERYWHERE you plug your rv into power, there's too many sensitive electronics on RVs to gamble with to save a few hundred bucks. Check the prices to replace a couple tvs, a microwave, the converter & you've spent the cost of the EMS, not to mention the fridge, a couple acs & a water heater will be into the thousands.
DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:52 PM   #48

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

Per my manual Onan Manual page 25

https://www.cummins.com/sites/defaul...s/A035D009.pdf

It says...
To only prime after changing fuel filter or running out of gas.

Since all of the Generators are made by Onan what would cause the other units needing to be primed? It may be some issue that needs servicing?

If I had to go outside and take the cover off to start my generator everytime, I would be really pissed
I didn't know it till I started following this and watching YouTube. Hold the off switch down for 15 seconds and that is the primer then hit start. My new Thor I can hear the prime running
Old 11-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #49

THOR #13058
Quote:
Both of my Onans had the prime button inside. I found that a minimum of 20 seconds worth of priming was needed for cold starts.
(A 4KW gas, and my current 3.6 KW diesel)
Interesting but not too surprising with the Tiffin. Maybe a knock against Winnebago OEM for Vista / Sunstar?

Before I bought the EC-30 for my 29VE if I wanted to prime, the only way to have done so was at the Genset outside. See Stop/Prime Switch in picture that I can't rotate

The OEM Panel on inside is simple Start / Stop also in picture that I can't rotate

I guess it could be possible that if I hold the OEM Stop button inside for 20 secs it may prime? But no need because, my Dealer installed option EC-30 is direct wired to Genset to Stop/Prime for sure. But, I have never had a need to prime and it has been one full year?

I do have to prime my Portable generator and other lawn equipment when it is cold, but never had to prime the Onan 5500.

I think where Bill Johnson was going if I had any issues with it needing to auto start when it may have needed to be primed to start?

The answer is No. It Auto starts and Auto shuts off with 100% accuracy thus far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_185540.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	27158   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191208_140531.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	27159  

Old 11-15-2020, 09:10 PM   #50

THOR #13058
Quote:
I didn't know it till I started following this and watching YouTube. Hold the off switch down for 15 seconds and that is the primer then hit start. My new Thor I can hear the prime running
We don't use the OEM switch at all anymore. We left it intact primarily to keep the OEM hour meeting in tact. The EC-30 is lot easier to use and it lights up Red when Genset is running.

If I had the RV I could try the OEM stop switch and listen for the pump, but I wouldn't know if it made a difference because it starts every time otherwise without priming

But if I run out of gas (not likely because it shuts off at 1/4 tank), or replace the gas filter, I will need to prime then for sure.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:12 PM   #51

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Interesting but not too surprising with the Tiffin. Maybe a knock against Winnebago OEM for Vista / Sunstar?

Before I bought the EC-30 for my 29VE if I wanted to prime, the only way to have done so was at the Genset outside. See Stop/Prime Switch in picture that I can't rotate

The OEM Panel on inside is simple Start / Stop also in picture that I can't rotate

I guess it could be possible that if I hold the OEM Stop button inside for 20 secs it may prime? But no need because, my Dealer installed option EC-30 is direct wired to Genset to Stop/Prime for sure. But, I have never had a need to prime and it has been one full year?

I do have to prime my Portable generator and other lawn equipment when it is cold, but never had to prime the Onan 5500.

I think where the Bill Johnson was going if I had any issues with it needing to auto start when it may have needed to be primed to start?

The answer is No. It Auto starts and Auto shuts off with 100% accuracy thus far.
If you push the off sideways it will move a littte bit that is the prime it shows on YouTube
Old 11-15-2020, 09:25 PM   #52

THOR #13058
Quote:
If you push the off sideways it will move a littte bit that is the prime it shows on YouTube
I think you losing me?

Can you post the video on YouTube

1) It is not clear if you are trying to show me how to prime? 2) or If you was asking me if I ever had to prime? 3) and/or if my AGS had to prime before starting?

For #1
I have three switches for my Onan 5500
A- OEM Switch that is labeled Start/Stop (See Picture above post #49)
B- EC-30 Switch is labeled Start / Stop Prime (yes I can prime here by simply holding the Stop Prime button for 20 seconds) I know how to do that but I have never had to.
C- Outside Genset Switch is labeled Start / Stop Prime (See Picture above post #49) yes I can prime here by simply holding the Stop Prime button for 20 seconds) I know how to do that, but I have never had to

For #2
I have never had a need to prime my coach after buying brand new for about a year. This is about to be my 2nd cold season.

For #3
I am not aware of my AGS attempting to prime before it attempts to automatically starts. It just starts which takes about 2 seconds
Old 11-15-2020, 10:20 PM   #53
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It sure sounds more and more like a worthwhile addition.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:30 PM   #54

THOR #13058
Quote:
It sure sounds more and more like a worthwhile addition.
When the deals fell through on the Windsports & Hurricane and I decided to go a different direction, losing the Firefly at the time seem to be my biggest loss. Firefly had AGS but limited features. Nonetheless, I was determined to get AGS in my new Coach. I looked at several options but the Onan EC-30 was no brainer, and since I had the Onan Generator it just made sense for me. It comes standard in the Winnebago Adventurer, but it was $30 grand more The Adventurer and Sunstar for the most part are identical except it has full body paint and a different dinette table etc. When it was all said and done, I may have spent about $1000 to get it installed on my own after the sale I had to be very specific with my Dealer about what I wanted and needed. I had them wire it up the way Cummins Onan recommended. Onan Support was very helpful with information. Several other dealerships wanted $2,500 - 3,000 to install as part of the sale.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:53 PM   #55
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks for that info...
Old 11-16-2020, 02:03 AM   #56

THOR #20274
Sounds great I'm surprised that these carbs don't hold fuel like a lawnmower. I think you are one of the lucky ones or you use the generator many times a year
Old 11-16-2020, 02:35 AM   #57
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
At least diesel fuel is more stable than gasoline.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:30 AM   #58

THOR #13058
Quote:
Sounds great I'm surprised that these carbs don't hold fuel like a lawnmower. I think you are one of the lucky ones or you use the generator many times a year
I use many times a month It is what the Engineers at Onan said all should. They state the the AGS is the best way to ensure that happens and thus they insist they have significantly fewer issues with customers that own and use a AGS.

I have 9 year old Chinese made Sinemate Portable Generator that use to be a PITA to start. Priming instructions call for pressing that bulb 50 - 70 times Every time there was a storm, by the time I got it started the power would be back on

I finally put Seafoam in the gas on my Portable (Note: Onan told me specifically to never add additives to the gas feeding genset) and cleaned out carb and let it clean it self, it took about 3 hours of sputtered running. Since then I fire it up at least twice a month. I prime the bulb about 5 times and turn the key and it starts right up. I never pull the cord anymore But I always put Seafoam in my gas containers for all of my engines.

Point is you are right, I bet if you start running at least an hour a week, you will no longer need to prime once that carb is flushed clean if it is gummy. The longest my Genset went without starting was when it was with the RV Dealer

BTW, the EC-30 has a Safety feature so even though you may have it in Quiet or Auto mode; if you turn the ignition it automatically turns the AGS off; you must go turn it back on at the controller. This ensure that whenever it is being serviced it is always off unless it is mobile repair who comes to my house and it is on. But I am too cheap for Mobile service
Old 11-16-2020, 03:36 AM   #59

THOR #13058
Quote:
Thanks for that info...
Since you are in New York and may be one of the last ones to get a vaccine, it was the least I could do

Old 11-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #60
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If that S.O.B. delays the vaccine by even ONE day, and my Kathy gets in trouble...

Click image for larger version

Name:	wild-hogs-lg.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	27182