Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2020, 01:11 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I use many times a month It is what the Engineers at Onan said all should. They state the the AGS is the best way to ensure that happens and thus they insist they have significantly fewer issues with customers that own and use a AGS.

I have 9 year old Chinese made Sinemate Portable Generator that use to be a PITA to start. Priming instructions call for pressing that bulb 50 - 70 times Every time there was a storm, by the time I got it started the power would be back on

I finally put Seafoam in the gas on my Portable (Note: Onan told me specifically to never add additives to the gas feeding genset) and cleaned out carb and let it clean it self, it took about 3 hours of sputtered running. Since then I fire it up at least twice a month. I prime the bulb about 5 times and turn the key and it starts right up. I never pull the cord anymore But I always put Seafoam in my gas containers for all of my engines.

Point is you are right, I bet if you start running at least an hour a week, you will no longer need to prime once that carb is flushed clean if it is gummy. The longest my Genset went without starting was when it was with the RV Dealer

BTW, the EC-30 has a Safety feature so even though you may have it in Quiet or Auto mode; if you turn the ignition it automatically turns the AGS off; you must go turn it back on at the controller. This ensure that whenever it is being serviced it is always off unless it is mobile repair who comes to my house and it is on. But I am too cheap for Mobile service
We will have a 60 degree day this week, I'm going to start it and let it run under load. I'll push the off button till the light turns on for about 30 seconds hopefully it will start right up. I have gas stabilizer in it so there shouldn't be a problem. I started my 40 year old snowblower last week and that started on the first pull, I've never had to use the electric start on it. Hopefully the generator will be as good as the snowblower and my 22 year old lawn tractor. The wife wants me to get new ones but they run great.

Old 11-16-2020, 01:21 PM   #62

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
When did this thread go sideways? It went from EMS protection to priming a Generator
Old 11-16-2020, 01:30 PM   #63
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
"Organic conversation"...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:44 PM   #64

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
It happens in forum threads like this. Sometimes the most useful information comes out in the side conversations.

Incidentally, priming by pressing and holding "stop" is shown in the class c Thor video on how to use your thor, but they don't mention that you usually don't need to.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #65

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
It happens in forum threads like this. Sometimes the most useful information comes out in the side conversations.

Incidentally, priming by pressing and holding "stop" is shown in the class c Thor video on how to use your thor, but they don't mention that you usually don't need to.
@All

What's makes this really / funny is that no one ever had a question as to how to prime

The question was ask to OP (me) if I ever had to prime and the answer is No!!! In fact, my coach as OEM did not even come with a STOP/PRIME inside the coach.

I do have a STOP/PRIME button on my Aftermarket EC-30 inside RV, and I also have a STOP/PRIME button outside on the Onan 5500 genset (see picture #49). But, I have never had to prime it since buying coach new.

@Cavie,

I think we went down this priming rathole because question was basically being posed if the Automatic Generator could start automatically (by itself) with an assumption being made that it would need to be primed first. If you have perspective that you must prime your genset 20 secs or so before every start; I can see as fair question. But as I have tried to get across, I have never had to prime; so my AGS start and stops all the time whether I am around or not with no problems. In most cases; I am not around because it doing things based on how program.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:39 PM   #66
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
What were we talking about??
Old 11-16-2020, 08:34 PM   #67

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
What were we talking about??

Okay here are the final answers.

I just finished talking with Southwire who confirms that I can daisy chain their devices Putting my 1 year old SurgeGuard 44270 on the Pedestal in front of the new SurgeGuard EMS 34951 will give me the luxury of knowing in the event of spike the older and cheaper 44270 will blow first and thus protect my new SurgeGuard 34951

....and in the event we wish to stray off course again I spoke with Winnebago and confirmed that my Winnebago OEM Remote switch (see picture post #49) for my Onan 5500 generator will NOT support prime as it has no wiring capability to do so. But no worries for me, because I don't need to prime anyway, but if I did, I can prime inside my RV by using the AGS EC-30 Controller STOP/PRIME switch
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-16-2020, 08:54 PM   #68
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We're "Back on track..."
Old 11-16-2020, 10:44 PM   #69

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
@All

What's makes this really / funny is that no one ever had a question as to how to prime

The question was ask to OP (me) if I ever had to prime and the answer is No!!! In fact, my coach as OEM did not even come with a STOP/PRIME inside the coach.

I do have a STOP/PRIME button on my Aftermarket EC-30 inside RV, and I also have a STOP/PRIME button outside on the Onan 5500 genset (see picture #49). But, I have never had to prime it since buying coach new.

@Cavie,

I think we went down this priming rathole because question was basically being posed if the Automatic Generator could start automatically (by itself) with an assumption being made that it would need to be primed first. If you have perspective that you must prime your genset 20 secs or so before every start; I can see as fair question. But as I have tried to get across, I have never had to prime; so my AGS start and stops all the time whether I am around or not with no problems. In most cases; I am not around because it doing things based on how program.
Since you've chosen to attack me ...

This thread is NOT all about you. You created the thread, but others contribute, and their points are just as valid. I'm not talking about ME either. There are others here who have said they do have to prime, making that a very valid question about the AGS. Someone also indicated the lack of a button labeled for priming. That seems to be pretty universally true, as those with the capability appear to use "stop" for that purpose. Pointing out that holding "stop" is how one primes, is also a valid thing to do, given where the thread went.

It's great that you don't have to prime, but this thread, these forums, and the world don't revolve solely around you. Hopefully I won't have to prime either. At this point, I'm just learning how to go about these things, since I don't yet have my RV. (I've many years experience with a variety of trailers though.) Whether I need to or not, I'll find out in the future.

Thanks for finding out and posting about whether or not Surge Guards can be chained. That's good information to know.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:03 PM   #70
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Old 11-16-2020, 11:28 PM   #71

THOR #13058
Quote:
X2 I have no idea where that came from
Old 11-16-2020, 11:35 PM   #72

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Since you've chosen to attack me ...
You lost me here I had no idea I was attacking you. I think what may have happened is I took the last post at the time and did a reply versus just typing post reply? I addressed it to @All and @Cavie. I honestly did not even recognize your user name to this thread let alone you personally

But since you perceived it that way, I profusely apologize.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:42 PM   #73
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I blame the fact that they've canceled Thanksgiving this year.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:51 PM   #74

THOR #13058
Quote:
I blame the fact that they've canceled Thanksgiving this year.
If I can just get my RV before Thanksgiving I will be thankful. It doesn't even have to be fixed I got to get back to that Jet Flo Macerator install, and I wish to hardwire my new portable Southwire EMS to my electrical bay if that makes sense; so I may daisy chain the devices and wait for an electrical storm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snoopy thanksgivng.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	27194  
Old 11-17-2020, 12:15 AM   #75
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
"Wait for an electrical storm.:?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Old 11-17-2020, 12:42 AM   #76

THOR #13058
Quote:
"Wait for an electrical storm.:?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

How else can I test out to see if my surge guards can handle 4200 joules
Old 11-17-2020, 12:55 AM   #77
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Just don't try a Ben Franklin move...