Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2021, 11:44 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Texas
THOR #22628
Ceiling mounts?

Hi there!

I'm looking to run a ceiling-mounted curtain rail spanning the width of my 2017 Hurricane 34R. My idea is (1) to provide some privacy for the retractable bunk area AND (2) add some decorating pizzaz between the cockpit and the rest of the rig.

It looks as if the ceiling will accept and hold the short mounting screws with no problem. Am I missing something? Just thought I'd ask before I go to sinking screws in the ceiling, only to find after the fact that I should have gone doubled-sided tape or magnet mounts.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-22-2021, 12:44 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
First: Welcome to our campsite!
Do you have a picture of the area?
Can you find one that would span the wideth of your RV in it's entirety, and be held in place by spring or screw tension?
Here's what we did...
(Granted: a completely different application)
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1616417052
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Privacy Curtains 03.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	29273  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #3

THOR #22628
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bunkbed.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	29276

The span I'm looking to traverse is 8ft.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:00 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
We don’t have a rod for the curtain. Ours is a T track that spans the entire width. Next time I’m over I’ll take a look at how it is fastened on.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #5

THOR #22628
Awesome. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2021, 03:48 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
THOR #4181
Curtain rod to span Axis 25.2 cab

We’re in the middle of going with this one.
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...56&wmSkipPwa=1
Will be using command hooks for weight and small pressure spread pads for slight tension pressure on walls. This should still let us raise and lower the overhead bed.
(Black out curtains with lightweight curtains each side on sale from Macys.)
Also thought about hanging from ladder posts and maybe placing tension rod on cupboards instead ... but wish to have full blackout side to side and not be too close to the TV.
TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:00 PM   #7

THOR #22628
What width are you dealing with? Any chance the rod will sag?
Old 03-22-2021, 04:02 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It seems to me that you could mount something to the wooden "framework" just below where the ladder hooks are...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:11 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
THOR #4181
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharpaxe View Post
What width are you dealing with? Any chance the rod will sag?
Asharpaxe, The span is 90 inches wall to wall. Rod is rated for 48 “ to 129”. It’s 3 pieces rather than 2 piece and pretty heavy duty. It doesn’t sag.
TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:02 AM   #10

THOR #2020
This is not the greatest picture. I had to pull back on the curtain so you could see the clip. I had to hold the phone. I had to push the button. Not enough hands. The clips on the curtain is a channel that slides onto the support. The support screws to the ceiling about every 16”. If you think this might work I will try to draw a sketch or find it forsale on line.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	29295
Old 03-23-2021, 12:58 PM   #11

THOR #2020
Found on Amazon - This is what we have.

RV Designer A501 Ceiling Mount Curtain Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UC6RLM...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-23-2021, 01:38 PM   #12

THOR #22628
Huh, that's an interesting design. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2021, 06:46 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Hi there!

I'm looking to run a ceiling-mounted curtain rail spanning the width of my 2017 Hurricane 34R. My idea is (1) to provide some privacy for the retractable bunk area AND (2) add some decorating pizzaz between the cockpit and the rest of the rig.

It looks as if the ceiling will accept and hold the short mounting screws with no problem. Am I missing something? Just thought I'd ask before I go to sinking screws in the ceiling, only to find after the fact that I should have gone doubled-sided tape or magnet mounts.

Thanks in advance!
This is what I did to our Windsport 29m, a cousin to the Hurricane. Drop the bunk bed down to as low as possible, move the mattress back about a foot or two, buy a pair of the color curtains you want with the large metal rings that fit over a curtain rod, space the curtains to overlap about a foot in the middle, lay the row of rings about a foot from the edge of the bunk edge, use large Command Hooks and place them at each ring so you have about 6 or 7 hooks per curtain. Your done!!! Hook all the rings to the hooks. When you cover them with the mattress and raise up the bunk bed it will provide a barrier to keep your AC in the drivers area cool and when your camping, if you don't want to cool or heat that area, then you can remove it or pull them back using a piece of string or something the wifey can make. Bob Trice
Old 03-27-2021, 06:49 PM   #14

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6457
Quote:
Hi there!

Thanks in advance!

We bought a plastic track online...I believe through Camping World. It's 8-foot long and we used 3M double sided tape. Works great
Old 03-27-2021, 07:16 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
We installed a ceiling track like this one:

https://www.camperid.com/jr-products...mpn-80291.html

Amazon has it at an extremely ridiculous price with the wrong picture. Put the matching tracks on these panels:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008F6E13I/

Screwed the track to the ceiling with small stainless screws about every foot and it has been in place for 4 years.

Pro Tip: Don't go straight across and separate the front vents from the bunk; curve the track so the vents are on the bunk side of the curtain for the comfort of anybody sleeping in the bunk.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:14 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Hi there!

Thanks in advance!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This i what I used on my Vegas to add curtains between the bed / front area to keep out the heat from that front window. I did use screws.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #17

Model: ACE
State: Alabama
THOR #10208
I would recommend checking out this website.

https://roomdividersnow.com
Old 03-28-2021, 02:02 PM   #18

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37K
State: Virginia
THOR #12448
Ceiling mounts?

Quote:
Attachment 29276

The span I'm looking to traverse is 8ft.

What we wound up doing was getting:
IKEA
* one of the wire curtain hanging kits
* some of the sliding clamp-on curtain hangers
* some tan curtains.
Hardware store
* some D-shaped connectors (the kind with a threaded opening on one side), but a teardrop-shaped snap clip would probably have worked just as well.
* some wire ferrules
* a heavy duty spring

Use the wire ferrule to make a loop at one end of the wire and insert the snap clip and carabiner. At the other end, you want to do the same, but you’ll be attaching the spring and then a snap clip to the spring. Attach the sliding curtain clips to the curtain and the wire (easier to do after the wire is installed the first time).

With the bunk down, our son attaches the snap clip attached to the spring to a hole in the top of the white vertical bunk frame. The other end he pulls on the carabiner to pull on the wire and stretch the spring enough to snap the other clip to the hole on the other side. It takes about 30 seconds.

When the bunk goes away, it has to be removed, but it’s just as quick and the curtain lives in the top bunk ready to deploy.

Ours just covers the bunk as our goal was mostly just to give him some privacy, but it’s folded in half horizontally before we inserted the top and bottom hem into the sliding curtain clips, so we could cover it ceiling to floor by removing the bottom hem from the clips.

I’m sure my description leaves a bit to be desired, but I don’t have any pictures of the setup at the moment. If interested, let me know and I can try to grab some.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/C...VAWVWIWYsm.jpg
TheDustyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:12 PM   #19

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37K
State: Virginia
THOR #12448
Here's the pics I referenced above:

Ends with crimped ferrules on the wire (just used some really big pliers to crimp - not pretty but it works)

Connecting the spring end. I guess we used two springs. I forgot we added the second one.

Connecting the other end.

The curtain hangers, plus showing where we doubled-up the curtain so it only covers the bunk. It would drop nearly to the floor if we decided to let it hang full length. My wife tells me it was a flat sheet, not sure what size but possibly a queen.

Final product - granted, a bit wrinkled because it doesn't look like boy #1 laid it down neatly when it was last used.