Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #8604
Does anyone know anywhere around St Louis that does it? I’m unable to find an installer outside of Atlanta or Battle Creek, MI that installs it.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
I would check the 3M corporate website type in 3M ceramic window tint. Put your zip code in enable show U factory installers in your area.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:57 PM   #23

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Just call you local tint shops. There are two or 3 diff brands (Maybe more) that offer ceramic tint. If they dont offer a lifetime warrantee go elsewhere.

Surely ST Louis has someone that offers a ceramic film.

Mine is NOT 3M (so it cost less) and im very happy with it so far.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #8604
Thanks so much guys. I’ll start calling some tint installers around me. I checked their web sites and found no mention of ceramic. But let me go back to the old way and actually use a phone.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
I've been trying to get mine done but the shop doesn't seem to want to do it. Seems to be to busy!
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #26

THOR #12231
Yeah, I had mine done in the Spring (or early Summer?). I had to set up an appt time - took them like 6 hours to complete. I would think by now they would NOT be as busy. Try them again when it cools off more. People only think about stuff like this when its hot outside.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 10-23-2018, 11:18 PM   #27
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Was your windshield covered in 1 piece? Did they go up to the top and over the factory tint line at top of windshield? Thanks!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:26 AM   #28

THOR #12231
Well the widest tint they had was 48 inches (If I remember this correctly) but they could have ordered a 60 inch but they would have to charge me for the entire roll.

It seem like the window measure around 52 or 55 inches top to bottom (I forget exactly since this was done months ago).

But since the top part was tinted from factory I told them to put a dark ceramic brow from the top down to about one inch below the factory tint. Then they covered the rest with th 85% tint. It turned out great. Im very happy with it.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:47 PM   #29

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #7188
nighttime backing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Long and Winding Road,

I have a lot of difficulty backing the RV at night because of the reflections, particularly on the driver's side window. With the ceramic tint, are you able to see well enough to safely back up in the dark?
See Side Mirror Glare for help cutting down difficulty seeing images in the mirrors while backing. This cheap fix helped me for nighttime backing.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:28 PM   #30

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBoar View Post
See Side Mirror Glare for help cutting down difficulty seeing images in the mirrors while backing. This cheap fix helped me for nighttime backing.
Based on what I could see on the WEB, the anti glare is for the mirror. My problem is on the side window, particularly the driver's side.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:50 PM   #31

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #7188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Based on what I could see on the WEB, the anti glare is for the mirror. My problem is on the side window, particularly the driver's side.
Yes, that what the black foam core does, it keeps interior reflections off the sliding side windows right where the driver looks through them to see the outside mirrors.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:12 PM   #32

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBoar View Post
Hey Boar, I'm not finding anything more than tinting the mirror. Like the other comments I'm fighting glare from the front and curb windows.
Any further help?
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #33

THOR #2544
I had mine tinted last week. Overall I really like it but I also have a bad reflection in the mirrors/side window. Last weekend I was trying to change lanes to the left with a truck on the right side and it looked like it was on the left. I may need to change the one window tint to something lighter. We did all the windows with Crystalline CR40 and windshield with Llumar AIR 80. The tint shop did a very good job. To the earlier poster, my windshield is all one sheet. Took them awhile but they did such a good job, you can hardly tell it is tinted. Classic Tint in Orange is really a first class shop. Lance, Jesse and Beto really know what they are doing and very good at what they do!
Old 11-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #34

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
I had mine tinted last week. Overall I really like it but I also have a bad reflection in the mirrors/side window. Last weekend I was trying to change lanes to the left with a truck on the right side and it looked like it was on the left. I may need to change the one window tint to something lighter. We did all the windows with Crystalline CR40 and windshield with Llumar AIR 80. The tint shop did a very good job. To the earlier poster, my windshield is all one sheet. Took them awhile but they did such a good job, you can hardly tell it is tinted. Classic Tint in Orange is really a first class shop. Lance, Jesse and Beto really know what they are doing and very good at what they do!
Bruce
Glad you like it Bruce. Mine has the same reflection at night. I’m not sure if going lighter will reduce it ? It’s less noticeable when it’s dark inside the Mh
Lance
Old 11-02-2018, 07:16 PM   #35

THOR #2544
I reinstalled the Magna Shade flip shades yesterday. In the traveling position they will cut the light coming in from the sides by over 50% and that should reduce the glare. I'll let you know how it works the next time I have it out.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #36

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
I reinstalled the Magna Shade flip shades yesterday. In the traveling position they will cut the light coming in from the sides by over 50% and that should reduce the glare. I'll let you know how it works the next time I have it out.
Let us know. The Glare is something terriable in mine as well.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #37

THOR #2544
I won't be using it again until Thanksgiving but I will post when I get back
Old 11-07-2018, 06:32 AM   #38

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
...snip...
I will trying two new things to combate this reflection. First thing is I try some of that anti skid shelf liner (perforated) on the top of the dash to help with that reflection and the 2nd is I will try some black window screen and velcro over the window in front of the slider window that has the factory window screen (Bug screen). I think I can stick it to the alumumum window frame on the top and bottom and the other part of the window will slide behind it? It might be the angle im looking at from the drivers seat but it seems like the glass that has the screen covering it is not as bad as the one without - if that makes sense. I will take some inside pictures this weekend.

Have you had a chance to test your glare breaking ideas???
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:11 PM   #39

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I have owned three motor homes before this Windsport, two were class A's, and none had problems with reflections affecting the view of the mirrors at any time. What is it about these Thors that creates the problem? I get the problem both during the day in certain situations, and at night when the dash area is relatively dark.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:29 PM   #40
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
To reduce reflections has anyone tried putting an anti-glare filter (Amazon) on the window?

(Would have to make sure it is not a privacy filter as you're looking through the glass at an angle and the privacy filter would block that angle view. You'd just want the anti-glare filter.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote