Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
Challenger coach batteries

We will be doing some dry camping soon, and want to make sure we have enough juice to run the fridge. We will be able to run the generator some to charge but want to be able to keep the fridge running as long was possible on battery.

Looking for guidance on upgrading our coach batteries. We'd like to either add two more, or replace with 4 new. Who has done done this and what did you do? How did your upgrade work for you. Any input appreciated!

Old 08-07-2017, 10:12 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: California
THOR #5906
We added 2 - Lifeline batteries and two solar panels with tilt ability for better direct sunlight on the panels for longer stays
Old 08-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #3

THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmark View Post
We added 2 - Lifeline batteries and two solar panels with tilt ability for better direct sunlight on the panels for longer stays
Thanks for the input.

We purchased our RV in January. Anyone know if we need to replace the existing coach batteries, or can we just add 2 more?
Old 08-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: California
THOR #5906
Yes I would highly recommend replacing the house batteries that come with the coach.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:58 PM   #5

State: Maryland
THOR #3920
I threw out the 2 standard batteries as soon as I got it and put in 4 new 6volt golf cart batteries. It runs my residential fridge about 3-4 days depending on the outside temp and how much I have in it. I was actually told by thor to "get rid of those pieces of junk" because they just put in some cheap batteries that will get by, but they are nothing spectacular
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:10 PM   #6

THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCampingNut View Post
I threw out the 2 standard batteries as soon as I got it and put in 4 new 6volt golf cart batteries. It runs my residential fridge about 3-4 days depending on the outside temp and how much I have in it. I was actually told by thor to "get rid of those pieces of junk" because they just put in some cheap batteries that will get by, but they are nothing spectacular
Thanks!
Old 08-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
We had the dealer replace the original batteries (over 1 year old at that point) and add 2 additional batteries for a total of 4, plus we added 400 watts of solar on the roof. We dry camp often and generally only need to use the generator on overcast/rainy days or when we need the A/C or microwave.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote