Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
Challenger Modifications -need some help

We purchased a new 37lx in January after weeks shopping different makes and models. One thing that concerned me about this model is the counter space. I cook in our RV a lot, and often for a lot of people. I need a bit more space. Every RV we've owned previously had a folding counter extension. This one does not. Thor makes the Challenger 37KT model with a counter extension that's 11" X 15".

I decided there is room to add one to the left side of the sink. I have one on order which my husband can install, but what I need is a few pictures of one already installed. Anyone with a Challenger 37KT that can take a few pictures of the counter in the extended position from above and underneath? Also in the down position and one from inside the cabinet showing any bracing? Or really, any Thor model that comes with an extension should help.

We haven't done too many mods yet. I added a small "C" table to the left side of the couch behind the dinette. I didn't have anywhere to place my martini glass when seated there. We did take it in to Josam in Orlando to have the front end aligned, and the tires balanced and shaved. Husband says it drives like a dream, but we will had a steering stabilizer.

The Challenger is pretty well outfitted and doesn't need much in my opinion, however there's always a need or room for improvement. What mods have you done on your Challenger??

Karen

Old 03-24-2017, 03:52 PM   #2

State: Colorado
THOR #951
I'd love to hear how that extension works out as we have the 37lx (16) as well. We replaced mattress with a memory foam and bought 2 red leather footstool cubes for the sofa. Also, installed new, longer, faucets for the bathroom sinks as they were too short. Also, a metal clip to keep the refrigerator closed. Didn't like the cheap strap.

Not really a mod, but we installed a Splendide washer and dryer. Love it. Also, ordered custom dash cover since our dogs like to jump up and look out the huge window. Fits perfect and looks great.

You are right, it doesn't require much as we love the floor plan and functionality. The smoothe ride is amazing (compared to our Class C) and love that huge windshield. Oh, adding 2 more batteries next week.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #3

THOR #6310
I will post when we get the extension installed. Still waiting for the part.

We will eventually replace the hard as a rock mattress. I have a foam topper on it for now.

I considered a footstool cube, but decided to wait to see if we would use it. Where did you get yours? I am also interested in the dash cover. We have dash surfing dogs, too! Would you mind sharing where you got that also?
Old 03-25-2017, 05:39 AM   #4

THOR #951
Smile

We ordered the dash cover from ShadePro (online). They weren't sure that they had the 2016 model so they sent me paper templates to try and they were exactly right. Not sure what year you have, but you should just call them.

We live in Colorado and bought the red ottomans at American Furniture Warehouse. They are online at Afw.com and were only $38 each. Search under "ottoman and stools." They have dark brown, teal and red (even though they call it orange). They look great and are soft footstools that provide extra storage for throws/pillows.

Enjoy your LX - we are finally heading out in two weeks for a month. Haven't used her since last Sept. We miss the "big girl"
Old 03-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #5

Model: Challenger LX
THOR #3922
We are also a Colorado 2016 LX owner, and we've been on the road since late November. Very few mods so far: I did the Cheap Handling Fix, which made a noticeable difference in handling; wife made a compartmented attachment to the back of the passenger seat, which holds dog leashes, collars, and plastic bags; replaced the Seiki (pronounced "sucky") tvs, as they don't work in parks with upgraded, digital cable; added a portable Direct TV HD dish on a tripod (usually only takes around 10 minutes or so to set up); added screws to the drawer under the dinette. We will be changing out the faucets as well, and I would like to see your countertop extension, once you install it. Back to Colorado mid-May!
Old 03-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #6

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
The major additions to our GT will be done this next week. Having stackable w/d installed, DirectTV dish mounted on roof, new local antenna system installed. We did the CHF and had the front end aligned after the first 1,300 miles run. The next mod is ordering new Slow-Rise shades for front side windows and the Safe-T, both of which we will install ourselves.

Hoping to be done for awhile as we set our on a 4 month trip around the west and north.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:50 PM   #7

THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
The major additions to our GT will be done this next week. Having stackable w/d installed, DirectTV dish mounted on roof, new local antenna system installed. We did the CHF and had the front end aligned after the first 1,300 miles run. The next mod is ordering new Slow-Rise shades for front side windows and the Safe-T, both of which we will install ourselves.

Hoping to be done for awhile as we set our on a 4 month trip around the west and north.
Did you do the Safe-T-Plus install? Husband is doing that now on ours. Was it a noticeable improvement? Did you install on the drivers side or the passenger side? No answer to his calls to Sate-T-Plus.

We also added 2 new coach batteries, and have an Ultratrac Trac Bar on order.

Added the counter extension months ago. I LOVE it. It is sometimes necessary to remind people entering the RV to watch their head, lol but otherwise isn't in the way. Only blocks the doorway a little.

When we ordered it, we hadn't accounted for the cutout for the brackets being on the short side. My husband added a piece of plywood to the bottom and the brackets work fine, and the extension is level with the counter. Cutout faces the door. Third pic shows the supports he added.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3626.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	6424   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3627.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	6425  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3629.JPG