Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2020, 08:32 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35M
State: California
THOR #14439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
There are at least 6 different manufactures of shock absorbers for the different iterations of the F-53 chassis. The valving is different in the different shocks as is the valve actuation, even the shock diameter and construction can vary (single chamber, dual chamber, remote reservoir). There are different calibrations for jounce and rebound controlled by inertia valves or pressure valves or even a combination of the two.
See SDtrucksprings, Rockauto or Summitracing for more info.
I purchased mine through SDTrucksprings.com. Because of COVID supply chain issues it took 7 weeks to receive them, so if anyone is thinking of Bilsteins, better order now.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:38 PM   #22

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanapier View Post
I purchased mine through SDTrucksprings.com. Because of COVID supply chain issues it took 7 weeks to receive them, so if anyone is thinking of Bilsteins, better order now.

On a different note. I see you live in San Antonio. Do you ever go to Port Aransas? We just bought a site at Golf Waters RV Resort #305. If you have never been there, take a look. You may like it.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:39 PM   #23

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
On a different note. I see you live in San Antonio. Do you ever go to Port Aransas? We just bought a site at Golf Waters RV Resort #305. If you have never been there, take a look. You may like it.

Sorry this was meant for Beau388
Old 11-16-2020, 09:07 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
The correct word for a shock absorber is damper, not dampener. It “damps” (not dampens) unwanted motion in the suspension, or in this case steering linkage. Damping (not dampening) is associated with reduction of vibration or motion.

Dampen is associated with making or getting things wet, not controlling motion. Therefore, dampen, dampener, or dampening may be used often, but incorrectly when applied to vehicle suspension or motion control.

Just sharing information for those who may want to look it up for themselves. And for what it’s worth, a Google search will show 1,000s of incorrect uses.

I know what everyone means — just trying to help those who want to know the difference.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:46 PM   #25

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
The shocks. What makes Bilstein different than any other shock?

Aren’t the OE shock absorbers Bilstein?
Old 11-17-2020, 12:35 AM   #26

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post

I have no idea. Trying to get a “shock” education as fast as I can.

With all the suspension mods I’ve done, if shocks help the ride, I would probably do it.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:37 AM   #27
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
The correct word for a shock absorber is damper, not dampener. It “damps” (not dampens) unwanted motion in the suspension, or in this case steering linkage. Damping (not dampening) is associated with reduction of vibration or motion.

Dampen is associated with making or getting things wet, not controlling motion. Therefore, dampen, dampener, or dampening may be used often, but incorrectly when applied to vehicle suspension or motion control.

Just sharing information for those who may want to look it up for themselves. And for what it’s worth, a Google search will show 1,000s of incorrect uses.

I know what everyone means — just trying to help those who want to know the difference.
Although Meriam Webster agrees with the "make wet" definition, their first definition applies to how shock absorbers work.

The British are more inclined to use damper to describe a shock absorber, but a dampener is someone or something that dampens. It’s usually used where damper would work just as well.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:45 AM   #28

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

You’ve been 16ACE27’d
Old 11-17-2020, 02:17 AM   #29

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
They have the bilstein name but were built to a lower spec for ford
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:19 AM   #30

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
They're sway bar replacement links. On some F53 chassis you can't do the CHF with the original links as it throws the geometry out the door. The replacement links allow the benefits of the CHF and maintains the correct angle to the sway bars.
They are called extension links. Hellwig makes adjustable links that a lot of people use

I just made the plates

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:15 PM   #31

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
What is the estimated cost of these things?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:32 PM   #32

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
What is the estimated cost of these things?

Depends on how much you chose to do and whether you are able to do any of the installation yourself. Alignment will be $100-200. Steering stabilizer will cost about $400 for self install and double that if you hire someone. Sumos for the front are about the same, maybe a bit less for the installation. More for the rear. CHF is free to do yourself or maybe $100 to have someone do it for you. Replacing the sway bars will run close to $2000 to hire front and rear. Air suspension is in the $5-7,000 range (I think). On a previous coach I did much of this. On my current unit I had it aligned, did the CHF and added a Roadmaster steering stabilizer (self installed ) and that’s all I intend to do. To a significant degree I think I’ve simply learned to drive it and to appreciate its truck-like handling. Plus I don’t try to drive 500 mile days anymore.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:08 PM   #33

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
I am an old guy who lives in Air Force Village just West of San Antonio. If we go down to Corpus, we stay at Shields Park (NAS RA). We prefer South Padre, as two couples from our cul-de-sac have condos down there and we tend to go there together. We try to get reservations at Andy Bowie County Park, although I have stayed at Isla Blanca when Bowie was full. Out favorite SP is Fort Griffin up by Abilene.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:46 PM   #34

Model: Challenger LX
THOR #6651
Quote:

Jealous!! My wife and I just got back from Gulf Waters in Port A. It was our third stay there. We just love that place. We talked about possibly buying a lot, but the prices seem like they have really skyrocketed lately.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:58 PM   #35

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #17673
cost

Quote:
Just completed my chassis upgrades to my 2018 Hurricane 35M. Summo Springs front and back; Bilstein shocks all 4 corners; Bilstein steering stabilizer; and front sway bar extensions. We have a completely different coach. No tiredness or exhaustion fighting the coach on long trips. I learned about all of these upgrades right here on this forum. Thanks to all the TMC owners whom I leaned on for advice!

It all worked brilliantly😁👍🏼
Hopefully not too personal a question...
Can you provide a ball park on part and labor cost?

thanks
gordon
Old 11-22-2020, 12:18 AM   #36

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I’m curious to know what sway bar extensions are. I did the CHF both front and back.
All I did was front and am perfectly happy with how it handles. CHF wasn’t necessary but helped low speed sway some.

I suspect those who whine about F53 handling either have an alignment issue or aren’t used to driving RVs. I was pleasently surprised how little sway my F53 experiences compared to some of my earlier rigs.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:36 AM   #37

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordSanClemente View Post
Hopefully not too personal a question...

Can you provide a ball park on part and labor cost?

thanks

gordon

This summer, a set of 4 Bilsteins (silver and blue) from Amazon were $425. Installation was about $180.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:41 AM   #38

THOR #6826
Chassis Upgrades for F53

I read a very interesting article on how handling is impacted by wheelbase. Specifically it suggested that the longer the wheelbase in comparison to the total length of the vehicle the better the handling will be. It said that a ratio of 50% or less (WB/total length X 100) would be difficult/dangerous and greater than 60% is ideal. I tried to get a thread going to see if the folks who claim a white knuckle experience have shorter wheelbases but got only a single response. FWIW my current coach has a ratio of 54 and I think it handles pretty well.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:55 PM   #39

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Thx a million
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:06 AM   #40

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Just completed my chassis upgrades to my 2018 Hurricane 35M. Summo Springs front and back; Bilstein shocks all 4 corners; Bilstein steering stabilizer; and front sway bar extensions. We have a completely different coach. No tiredness or exhaustion fighting the coach on long trips. I learned about all of these upgrades right here on this forum. Thanks to all the TMC owners whom I leaned on for advice!

It all worked brilliantly😁👍🏼
The only thing left to do is get a RoadMaster rear sway bar. It goes to the back of the differential so you have two, the Ford one that is crap and the R.M. which is a beast and will remove all sway, tilting and push from wind, other trucks and RV'S. My 2018 Windsport handles like my Volvo now!!! Bob Trice