RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-14-2020, 08:10 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
sanapier's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35M
State: California
Posts: 27
THOR #14439
Chassis Upgrades for F53

Just completed my chassis upgrades to my 2018 Hurricane 35M. Summo Springs front and back; Bilstein shocks all 4 corners; Bilstein steering stabilizer; and front sway bar extensions. We have a completely different coach. No tiredness or exhaustion fighting the coach on long trips. I learned about all of these upgrades right here on this forum. Thanks to all the TMC owners whom I leaned on for advice!

It all worked brilliantly😁👍🏼
__________________

__________________
sanapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 545
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanapier View Post
Just completed my chassis upgrades to my 2018 Hurricane 35M. Summo Springs front and back; Bilstein shocks all 4 corners; Bilstein steering stabilizer; and front sway bar extensions. We have a completely different coach. No tiredness or exhaustion fighting the coach on long trips. I learned about all of these upgrades right here on this forum. Thanks to all the TMC owners whom I leaned on for advice!

It all worked brilliantly

I have summo on the front. Thinking of adding to the back. What does the Bilstein shocks do? Better ride? Thanks.
__________________

__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:43 PM   #3
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,165
THOR #7035
Lots of resellers calls what Bilstein offers "Steering Stabilizers" but Bilstein calls them what they really are; "steering dampers".

The only Steering Stabilizers for the F53 are Safe-T-Plus and Roadmaster Reflex.

A damper (or dampener) is simply a shock absorber for the side to side steering. It does not help center the steering.

A stabilizer has the shock effect as well as a "return to center" spring assist.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:37 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
sanapier's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35M
State: California
Posts: 27
THOR #14439
Whatever... So I guess you correct everybody's nomenclature? Sorry I incorrectly called it a Bilstein steering stabilizer (dampener)....
__________________
sanapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:40 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
sanapier's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35M
State: California
Posts: 27
THOR #14439
Yeah... Much better after summo springs, even more better after Bilsteins��
__________________
sanapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:05 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
Posts: 166
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanapier View Post
Yeah... Much better after summo springs, even more better after Bilsteins��
Iím curious to know what sway bar extensions are. I did the CHF both front and back.
__________________
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:24 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 545
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanapier View Post
Yeah... Much better after summo springs, even more better after Bilsteins��

Sanapier, do you have the summo on the front and rear?
About how much are the Bilsteins. Did you install them yourself? Thanks
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:40 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
sanapier's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35M
State: California
Posts: 27
THOR #14439
Well...they are what it says I guess. They are longer and thicker and gives your sway bar more tension.....
__________________
sanapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:42 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
sanapier's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35M
State: California
Posts: 27
THOR #14439
No. I had a large industrial tire shop install them. The rear requires drilling the frame and I don't own pneumatic tools. Great question!
__________________
sanapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:11 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
Posts: 156
THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanapier View Post
Well...they are what it says I guess. They are longer and thicker and gives your sway bar more tension.....
Could you provide a picture? I guess I'm not understanding exactly what they are.
__________________
HarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 545
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Could you provide a picture? I guess I'm not understanding exactly what they are.

HarryS, I donít get what they are either. Maybe itís just us haha?
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 2,743
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
HarryS, I donít get what they are either. Maybe itís just us haha?


Not just you. I didnít understand either!
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:46 PM   #13
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,165
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Could you provide a picture? I guess I'm not understanding exactly what they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
HarryS, I donít get what they are either. Maybe itís just us haha?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Not just you. I didnít understand either!
They're sway bar replacement links. On some F53 chassis you can't do the CHF with the original links as it throws the geometry out the door. The replacement links allow the benefits of the CHF and maintains the correct angle to the sway bars.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:51 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 545
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
They're sway bar replacement links. On some F53 chassis you can't do the CHF with the original links as it throws the geometry out the door. The replacement links allow the benefits of the CHF and maintains the correct angle to the sway bars.

I am confused about the Bilstein
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:00 PM   #15
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,165
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
I am confused about the Bilstein
In what way? he had new Bilstein shocks installed and a Bilstein Steering Dampener installed - which is basically just a shock absorber for the steering system to dampen its left and right movements.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:22 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
sanapier's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35M
State: California
Posts: 27
THOR #14439
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Could you provide a picture? I guess I'm not understanding exactly what they are.
No I cannot Harry. Already installed and I cannot get underneath my Hurricane due to some mobility issues.
__________________
sanapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:41 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 545
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
In what way? he had new Bilstein shocks installed and a Bilstein Steering Dampener installed - which is basically just a shock absorber for the steering system to dampen its left and right movements.

The shocks. What makes Bilstein different than any other shock?
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:10 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 2,245
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
The shocks. What makes Bilstein different than any other shock?
There are at least 6 different manufactures of shock absorbers for the different iterations of the F-53 chassis. The valving is different in the different shocks as is the valve actuation, even the shock diameter and construction can vary (single chamber, dual chamber, remote reservoir). There are different calibrations for jounce and rebound controlled by inertia valves or pressure valves or even a combination of the two.
See SDtrucksprings, Rockauto or Summitracing for more info.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:23 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
sanapier's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35M
State: California
Posts: 27
THOR #14439
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
They're sway bar replacement links. On some F53 chassis you can't do the CHF with the original links as it throws the geometry out the door. The replacement links allow the benefits of the CHF and maintains the correct angle to the sway bars.
Nice reply. Very well stated...
__________________
sanapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:29 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 545
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
There are at least 6 different manufactures of shock absorbers for the different iterations of the F-53 chassis. The valving is different in the different shocks as is the valve actuation, even the shock diameter and construction can vary (single chamber, dual chamber, remote reservoir). There are different calibrations for jounce and rebound controlled by inertia valves or pressure valves or even a combination of the two.
See SDtrucksprings, Rockauto or Summitracing for more info.

Thanks Beau388. I had no idea that many options were available.
Have you replaced your shocks? If so, what did you pick?
__________________

__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×