Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2020, 04:21 AM   #1

Brand: Jayco
Model: GREYHAWK 29MV
State: Washington
THOR #17431
Chateau 28Z Mods and Design Considerations

Hey folks,

As per my previous threads I'm looking for a floor plan to live in full-time and have my man cave and enough storage for clothes and other personal stuffs.

One plan I like is on the Chateau 28Z where-as the seating and dining are right across each other and the slide can stay IN without blocking anything.

I plan to use the dinette area for the 75" big screen and some speakers, so maybe remove the furniture and add my own storage in that space.

There's a 2018 Chateau 28Z here for around $60k but does not have the electric mirrors and has cloth drivers and passengers seats. (I'll probably be swapping the seats and furniture in these myself as I hear that stock Thor offerings aren't that comfortable)

There's a 2020 model too that HAS the electric mirrors with the side cams but it's in the $80k range.

Depreciation aside, what comes to your mind in choosing the 2018 model without the electric mirrors?

Would you go with the lessor expensive and replace equipment as needed? DIY some side-cams and security cams combo? Am I missing any other re-design considerations?

Thanks in advance for your advice and considerations!

Old 03-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #18144
I just bought a 2020 Thor Chateau 28A new for $60K. The savings will alow me to update anything I dont like & I feel it will be a better deal than the Z model
Old 03-07-2020, 09:16 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Unless you change drivers a lot the electric mirrors may not be all that valuable. Only the top part moves anyway and they are big enough that they work well over a broad range of positions. I’d probably choose the newer machine for the warranty and because I’d know it’s history from the start. But that’s just me.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:31 PM   #4

Brand: Jayco
Model: GREYHAWK 29MV
State: Washington
THOR #17431
Thx LAEN, I like the A model too just fine. Did you pick the A over the Z for a particular reason? I like either one on the Ford 450.

I can't locate an A model anywhere up near WA state and the Z's are up there in price. https://www.rvtrader.com/2018-2021-T...005&radius=250

@ Pete'sMH - I guess I'm at the realization that some of these whistles and bells just aren't worth it. Plus it adds a real penny to the cost as listed in the spec sheet. Initially I was torn between depreciation and warranty but I'm starting to think warranty wins.