Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2017, 01:25 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makerofsawdust View Post
I put a washer between bushing and z bar bolt. Now the ridges bite into the washer and that allows the bushing to move. When the temperature gets below 110°, I'll crawl back under there and get picture if anyone wants one. I live out in the desert by the Marine Corps Training Center 29 Palms,CA. and it's HOT, HOT, HOT.
Went to 29 Palms several times for training while I was in the Corps, was always glad to leave. Always had to wear gloves, anything metal was like a branding iron!!!

Old 06-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #22

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeramtough View Post
Just a follow up on chf. As posted last week, well drove to the dealer for some other issues to be fixed and IMO it helped maybe about 30 % with roll and sway, but I am not going to waste my money on a road master rear sway bar that is only an 1/8 of an inch larger than the one on there now. Just my opinion.

Robert
Robert, I think you are going about suspension mods the right way. If you do an alignment and CHF it may not be wise to jump right into a sway bar, Sumos, or air bags.

I did CHF and alignment, then took a short 150 miles camping trip. Decided on adding the Safe T Plus after that. I put another 600 to 700 miles on before deciding that I needed more handling stability so I had the Sumos installed front and rear. I was tempted to also put a larger sway bar on the rear but did not. Now with over 2,000 miles on the Sumos we are about where we want to be with handling.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
All I can say is that since we did the CHF, we have travelled around 700 miles and it is a night and day difference. The CHF makes handling so much better, taking corners is way much easier on the house than without the CHF. No need for any additional hardware.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #24

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Chf

Can you do chf on 2016 axis V10 ford
Old 07-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #25
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Can you do chf on 2016 axis V10 ford
No... It applies to the F53 chassis - not the E350/E450.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #26

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #7188
E-350 sway bars have a single hole

The 2016 Ford E-350 sway bars have only one hole for the connecting rods so there is no CHF as defined in this forum.

The sway bars are a little on the small side: rear diameter 1.145", front diameter 0.92".

Aftermarket Hellwig E-350 sway bars are: rear diameter 1.50", front diameter 1.375" which ought to reduce body roll assuming the metal properties are similar.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:26 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBoar View Post
The 2016 Ford E-350 sway bars have only one hole for the connecting rods so there is no CHF as defined in this forum.

The sway bars are a little on the small side: rear diameter 1.145", front diameter 0.92".

Aftermarket Hellwig E-350 sway bars are: rear diameter 1.50", front diameter 1.375" which ought to reduce body roll assuming the metal properties are similar.
All these bars are made of steel, so their most important material properties are the same. Assuming these aftermarket sway bars are solid (and not tubular), they are much much stiffer than the OEM. Sway bar stiffness goes up much faster than diameter difference, so these are huge based on stiffness.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #28

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Since everyone seems to agree the CHF is almost a must do on the F53 chassis, why doesn't Ford/Thor ship it that way? Seems like it would make life easier for everyone, especially us old dogs trying to crawl around underneath the coach.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #29
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
Since everyone seems to agree the CHF is almost a must do on the F53 chassis, why doesn't Ford/Thor ship it that way? Seems like it would make life easier for everyone, especially us old dogs trying to crawl around underneath the coach.
Because it is not a 'must do'...
Any change to the chassis suspension is a compromise... While some may like the effect - others may not. It will make the ride harsher.

The F-53 is used for much more than motorhomes - each with different needs - so the suspension is always a compromise.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 08-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #30

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Because it is not a 'must do'...
Any change to the chassis suspension is a compromise... While some may like the effect - others may not. It will make the ride harsher.

The F-53 is used for much more than motorhomes - each with different needs - so the suspension is always a compromise.
Thanks for that response, gmc. I've driven my ACE 30.3 about 600 miles since I purchased it and hadn't noticed any serious issues with handling. I was beginning to wonder if there was something wrong with me. I'll drive a little more, then determine whether I think I need the chf. I did crawl beneath the front end today and looked - it looked like a pretty simple task on mine if I do decide to do it.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 08-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #31

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
sway bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBoar View Post

I gusseted both front and back sway bars, added stiffeners on the long runs of the bars, also beefed up the end links. using 1/4" X 1" flat bar. and with 1200 miles no breaks and no broken welds. this made a big improvement. this would be my version of a E 350 CHF.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:35 PM   #32
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
Thanks for that response, gmc. I've driven my ACE 30.3 about 600 miles since I purchased it and hadn't noticed any serious issues with handling. I was beginning to wonder if there was something wrong with me. I'll drive a little more, then determine whether I think I need the chf. I did crawl beneath the front end today and looked - it looked like a pretty simple task on mine if I do decide to do it.
I've put over 12,000 miles on my Hurricane - and haven't felt the need... Plus i normally have a passenger that would be more affected by the harsher ride.

Nothing wrong with doing it if you want... or spending as much money/time on 'improvements' as you wish to get your rig to handle 'better'- I choose to spend both elsewhere.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 08-23-2017, 09:13 PM   #33

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I disagree with the comment about a "harsher ride", we had put about 3,000 miles on our coach before I did the CHF. My wife is used to me going out to the garage or motorhome to tinker so when I went out to do the CHf she didn't ask what I was doing. On our next trip my wife asked if I had done something to the coach, I said why, she said because it felt smoother and rattled less when we hit bumps. I asked her if she felt like it was better or worse and she replied much better.

Normally my wife doesn't comment on things like this so if it was obvious or noticeable to her then that's a big deal.

So far the CHF is the only suspension mod I have done, and it was free! Would I do it again, or recommend it to others, absolutely I would!
Old 08-23-2017, 11:36 PM   #34

THOR #8503
My plan is to drive this next trip, about 1000 miles, the way it is for me to get a good feel for how it handles, since I am still a newbie. Then I will do the chf, take another trip and see how it compares. Since it is simple and no cost, if I don't like it, I can simply change it back. Interestingly, autocorrect tries to change chf to chef. I do not plan to do the chef 😊
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 08-23-2017, 11:45 PM   #35

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #7863
Just received the Safe T Plus I ordered thru Amazon for our 2017 Challenger 37LX. Going to do that and the CHF in a few days.

I'm unable to get under the coach, or at least not without paying for it with pain and immobility for a few days after. So I hired a mobile RV service tech who my inlaws recommended. He looked underneath briefly while doing some Warranty work for me, and said he doesn't see where the CHF can be done on the rear.

Is it definitely a front AND rear fix on my coach?

Thanks, Mike
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:51 PM   #36

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Yes rear also. He has to remove the bracket, z bar, on the sway bar and just reverse it so the link bar attached to the frame goes in the back hole.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:48 AM   #37

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Yes rear also. He has to remove the bracket, z bar, on the sway bar and just reverse it so the link bar attached to the frame goes in the back hole.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry!
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:56 AM   #38
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
I've put over 12,000 miles on my Hurricane - and haven't felt the need... Plus i normally have a passenger that would be more affected by the harsher ride.

Nothing wrong with doing it if you want... or spending as much money/time on 'improvements' as you wish to get your rig to handle 'better'- I choose to spend both elsewhere.
CHF just reduces roll by minimizing the difference the left and right tires move when independently stressed. It does not change springs, shocks or anything else that would make the ride "harsher".
Old 08-24-2017, 01:15 AM   #39

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
CHF just reduces roll by minimizing the difference the left and right tires move when independently stressed. It does not change springs, shocks or anything else that would make the ride "harsher".
That's not correct.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:37 PM   #40

State: Ohio
THOR #8515
what is the CHF for the rear? I have 2017 challenger37ty,we put the safe-t-plus on the front and it made a big difference,.