Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Maryland
THOR #5251
Safe T Plus

Has anyone installed this on a Thor Axis yourself? Tips?
What is safest way to lift front end?

Old 04-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #2

Model: Axis25.2
State: New York
THOR #17645
Nomad

I cut three treated two by eights shortest two foot then three then four foot stack them and just drive up
Works great and safe
As for safe t plus it's fantastic for highway driving helps keep you straight with little effort
Old 04-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #3

THOR #5251
Safe T Plus

Thanks! So that gives me an additional 6 inches of clearance? Is that plenty of room to maneuver? Any tips on installation?
Old 04-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You could also use these ramps (Amazon). Granted not as DIY as using 2X4's and probably a little more expensive. They do work to lift the front of the Axis up though.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Up until my last trip I swore my Challenger handled fine without modification. Even during the last trip it handled very well until I got on 2 bridges with relatively high wind gusts. I was fine with it but the DW got a bit concerned when she felt the wind sway and side to side movement on the bridges.

Since we are heading out to the same location in a couple weeks her directive to me was install a stabilizer. Safe-T-Plus will be delivered this afternoon and I am looking at doing a self install this weekend. Hell, if nothing else it gives me the excuse to buy a 1/2 inch drive cordless impact wrench.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #6

Model: Axis25.2
State: New York
THOR #17645
Nomad

Instillation is easy, u tube video (how to install safe t plus) there are two of them tells you everything you need to know
First one is how to install second is how to fine tune
Old 04-25-2017, 11:58 AM   #7

THOR #5251
Thanks everyone. I don't have the torque wrenches. Maybe I can borrow them . Got the videos.
Also just for the hell of it I've got s call into my local RV dealer I bought my rig from to see how much they want to do it. I know they'll come back with an outrageous $ amount! Making a separate appt. at my truck tire place for a front end alignment first. Thanks again for everyone's comments and suggestions!
Old 04-25-2017, 03:07 PM   #8

Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 29FE
State: Mississippi
THOR #5561
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo21793 View Post
Making a separate appt. at my truck tire place for a front end alignment first.
We were wondering where you take a Class C for an alignment. Do you use an '18 wheeler' truck alignment shop, jimbo?
Old 04-25-2017, 03:30 PM   #9

THOR #5251
I go to Donald B Rice tire company. They do Truck tires and alignments but they won't do Safe T Plus install.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #10

THOR #5561
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo21793 View Post
I go to Donald B Rice tire company. They do Truck tires and alignments but they won't do Safe T Plus install.
Thanks...we don't have those locally. Guess I'll have to check to see what's around (Memphis area).
Old 04-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #11

THOR #5251
Yea, I have to drive about 10 miles to mine.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #12

THOR #5251
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosbirn View Post
Thanks...we don't have those locally. Guess I'll have to check to see what's around (Memphis area).

Maybe someone with a dump truck , etc close by can tell you where they go. One could be closer than you think.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:14 PM   #13

THOR #5561
I'll ask around. Thanks again, jimbo.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:50 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
A couple of places to consider: Goodyear Commercial Tire Service - they did our alignment.

Onan/Cummins Service - they replaced the fuel pump in our genny when it went bad but the tech told me that they had full service for RV owners (including servicing the Ford V-10).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:05 PM   #15

THOR #5561
Thanks, Jamie!
Old 04-29-2017, 05:31 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #1469
Safe T Plus DIY on F53 22.5 inch wheels - complete

For those considering the Safe T Plus as a DIY project, I completed my install this morning. Here are some things to consider.

First, on the 22.5 inch chassis the main bracket gets installed on the leaf spring U bolts. These bolts are torqued to about 240 foot pounds, if not higher. The installation of this bracket requires an impact wrench capable of loosening the nuts. It took some effort for my impact wrench and air compressor to bust those nuts loose. I should have bought the cordless impact with 1200 pounds of breakaway torque.

Second, when installing the bracket 240 foot pounds of torque is no easy task. The longer the torque wrench handle the easier the effort.

Last, time spent centering the steering before beginning pays off in the end. I spent considerable time getting the steering straight before driving the coach up on the ramps. By doing this my coach tracked true after the install with no adjustment necessary.

As a tip, I found that a 3/8 drive speed handle makes a great brace for holding up the loose end of the Safe T Plus while you are installing the mounting bracket on the tie rod. one end of the speed handle on the tie rod with the other end on the I beam and the safe t plus sits snug in the U shaped portion of the handle. Do, however, remove the speed handle before securing the safe t plus to the tie rod bracket.

Total time to complete was approx 2.5 hours from when I walked out the door until I walked back in the house. Outside temp during the project was 81 degrees so it was warm.

Hope this helps anyone considering this as a DIY project.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-29-2017, 11:38 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Arkansas
THOR #3744
I installed the Safe-T-Plus on my 2016 Axis myself. I didn't need to lift the Axis any to do the install, but I'm not a big guy either. The only issue I had was the side sway bar bracket on the passenger side was stripped from the factory. Not the bolt itself, but the frame that it is threaded into. I had to snake a nut and lock washer into a slot in the frame and thread it onto the bolt so it would tighten back up. Adjustment took me two attempts, then was great after that.

I have since traded my Axis for a 2017 Hurricane and installed one on it. Highly recommend the Safe-T-Plus.

Vince
Old 04-30-2017, 01:46 AM   #18

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
dstankov, make sure you recheck the nuts on the U-bolts after driving a little. It doesn't happen often, but I've seen the nuts loosen after driving a few miles.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:31 AM   #19

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Arkansas
THOR #3744
Yes, definitely recheck the u-bolts after test driving.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:15 AM   #20
Site Team

THOR #1469
I have already planned on doing that since the springs flex while travelling it makes sense to check the U bolt nuts periodically after they've been removed and reinstalled.

I plan on re-checking them with the coach back on the ramps and also re-check the torque when the coach is off the ramps but leveled on the jacks since the upward or downward pressure on the springs will be different.

Normally my large torque wrench stays at home when on the road but it will be included in my packing list for our upcoming trip, as well as the 1 1/8 deep well socket.

As a note, I believe those are large lock nuts and if correct I plan on ordering replacements from the Ford dealer. As an old mechanic I always hate to reuse lock nuts and lock washer since they tend to loose their effectiveness with each use. I looked at Ford's web site and they do not specify "lock nut" but they say the nuts are 38.00 each.
FMCA - F432054