Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2016, 11:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: Texas
THOR #2240
CHF (Cheap Handling Fix)

Well finally got around to doing the CHF, have only travelled a few hundred miles over familiar roads but I can tell that the front end of the coach has stiffened up and is less prone to wallowing /side winds and is better in corners etc. I have not noticed any real negatives to the ride quality (not any harsher) the better half would have mentioned it, I’m sure. Actually I think she is more impressed with the changes than I am and happier to take over the driving for longer and in more adverse weather conditions… yay!!

I will give it awhile before looking into doing the rear Sway Bar mod, to see if I need to do that at all (rear: simple mod, no fabrication needed just swapping to inner hole and rotating the bracket).

To sum up my version of the front CHF: (not really mine but gleamed from the 3,500 posts on this subject… over at IRV2)

This version uses the original unmodified Tie-Rods/links (not cut and lengthened using pipe or the Hellwig replacements ).

½” steel plate (20” x 2.5” cut into 5” lengths - $20

x4 12mm nuts and bolts (grade 10.9 or grade 8… not 8.8 as that is only grade 5) - Advance Auto $6

Blue Lock Tight.

Primer and Paint - Already had some to hand

The plates were MIG welded with a ¼” overlap (the underneath weld should be as clean and tight as possible so not to interfere with arm of the Sway Bar that rests against that face.

Three 29/64” holes made 3” between centre’s (I allowed 1” from centre of the holes to the edge of the steel).

Bolts torque back on to 66ft/lbs.

Many thanks again to all the guys/girls over the years that pioneered this excellent Mod.

Rgds
Tex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHF.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1492   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9745.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1493  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9746.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1494   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9747.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1495  

Old 07-22-2016, 04:29 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 27k
State: Quebec
THOR #2292
Thumbs up Chf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
Well finally got around to doing the CHF, have only travelled a few hundred miles over familiar roads but I can tell that the front end of the coach has stiffened up and is less prone to wallowing /side winds and is better in corners etc. I have not noticed any real negatives to the ride quality (not any harsher) the better half would have mentioned it, I’m sure. Actually I think she is more impressed with the changes than I am and happier to take over the driving for longer and in more adverse weather conditions… yay!!

I will give it awhile before looking into doing the rear Sway Bar mod, to see if I need to do that at all (rear: simple mod, no fabrication needed just swapping to inner hole and rotating the bracket).

To sum up my version of the front CHF: (not really mine but gleamed from the 3,500 posts on this subject… over at IRV2)

This version uses the original unmodified Tie-Rods/links (not cut and lengthened using pipe or the Hellwig replacements ).

½” steel plate (20” x 2.5” cut into 5” lengths - $20

x4 12mm nuts and bolts (grade 10.9 or grade 8… not 8.8 as that is only grade 5) - Advance Auto $6

Blue Lock Tight.

Primer and Paint - Already had some to hand

The plates were MIG welded with a ¼” overlap (the underneath weld should be as clean and tight as possible so not to interfere with arm of the Sway Bar that rests against that face.

Three 29/64” holes made 3” between centre’s (I allowed 1” from centre of the holes to the edge of the steel).

Bolts torque back on to 66ft/lbs.

Many thanks again to all the guys/girls over the years that pioneered this excellent Mod.

Rgds
Tex.
---------------------------

Just finished installing this mod but had to drill 15/32 for hole size. The bolt length is about 2 inches.
I also installed the roadmaster steering stabilizer at the same time.
I will test the handling in 2 weeks on a 1200 km ride
So far on a 2 km test ride, the steering stabiliser did great. I could already feel the difference.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:21 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Just finished this mod front and rear. Used all stock rods no additional brackets. Just unbolt and rebolt to unside holes

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:48 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #3681
Ford Supports it

Doigna google search on CHF F53 and I see this is one of the most applied but also many people state how bad it is. Several negative points keeps coming up:
1. The angle of the sway bar and rod is wrong.
2. RV Manufacturers would do it if it was safe.
3. Too much torque - something will break if its that stiff.

BUT...
Talked to my tures shop person that did my alignment and he states he has done it on many units and seen others in his shop that also has it. He told them if they do not like it, to bring it in and he would set it back at no cost.

I still was wondering so I called the Ford customer service number that's in the F53 manual. Probably one of the best help desk type of experiences I have had in a while. Very polite.

The rep told me he could not answer that but would get a technician to give me a call today. 2 hours later I got that call. The technician was well aware of the CHF, but told me, it's just an user selectable setting. If I want less sway just move it. Ford sends all out in the soft setting as they do not know the weight or height of the body that will be applied. I asked the angle and if I should get a longer rod as many have stated, the response was "Ford does not recommend 3rd party parts or changes to the sway bar equipment. It does change the travel but is within our tolerances."

The Best part is - I was told by moving to the inner holes, my vehicle is still covered under warranty. That sealed the deal. I did the change and like others - instant change and a lot less than two new bars.
2018 Thor Challenger 37KT
gauthig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:39 PM   #5

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauthig View Post
Doigna google search on CHF F53 and I see this is one of the most applied but also many people state how bad it is. Several negative points keeps coming up:
1. The angle of the sway bar and rod is wrong.
2. RV Manufacturers would do it if it was safe.
3. Too much torque - something will break if its that stiff.

BUT...
Talked to my tures shop person that did my alignment and he states he has done it on many units and seen others in his shop that also has it. He told them if they do not like it, to bring it in and he would set it back at no cost.

I still was wondering so I called the Ford customer service number that's in the F53 manual. Probably one of the best help desk type of experiences I have had in a while. Very polite.

The rep told me he could not answer that but would get a technician to give me a call today. 2 hours later I got that call. The technician was well aware of the CHF, but told me, it's just an user selectable setting. If I want less sway just move it. Ford sends all out in the soft setting as they do not know the weight or height of the body that will be applied. I asked the angle and if I should get a longer rod as many have stated, the response was "Ford does not recommend 3rd party parts or changes to the sway bar equipment. It does change the travel but is within our tolerances."

The Best part is - I was told by moving to the inner holes, my vehicle is still covered under warranty. That sealed the deal. I did the change and like others - instant change and a lot less than two new bars.
I had an ACE that the shop did the CHF on and it improved the handling...ride is still the same...as expected. However, more and more is popping up on the net and in campgrounds of users going back to the same setup without the mod since bushings are wearing out...so they say....much sooner than expected. Just saying....I'm sure many will disagree adn that's fine...I don't use it anymore since I had BIlsteins, Roadmaster adn sway bars installed. If you don't want to go the big bills to do this, go with CHF but check bushings often for wear and lubrication.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #6

Model: Palazzo 33.2
THOR #12839
[/QUOTE] The technician was well aware of the CHF, but told me, it's just an user selectable setting. If I want less sway just move it. Ford sends all out in the soft setting as they do not know the weight or height of the body that will be applied. I asked the angle and if I should get a longer rod as many have stated, the response was "Ford does not recommend 3rd party parts or changes to the sway bar equipment. It does change the travel but is within our tolerances."

The Best part is - I was told by moving to the inner holes, my vehicle is still covered under warranty. That sealed the deal. I did the change and like others - instant change and a lot less than two new bars.[/QUOTE]

Fantastic that you got confirmation directly from Ford and didn't just dis' any mod that doesn't come from the factory! I ordered a set of bolts and Z-bar brackets like used on the rear for the front as well as the Helwig links and swapped the inner bushings from the stock links to the Helwigs so the bolts fit tight.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:35 PM   #7

Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
Omg chf

Did the rear yesterday, took about 4-5 hours for both sides, but worth every minute of it!

Took it out for a road test today & I'm a VERY HAPPY camper.

We had 20-25 mph winds with stronger gusts, wind from the right barely noticeable on the way back, wind from the left seemed like a nudge compared to before.

18 wheelers no more suck & shove, most that passed hardly affected my coach. Only one really did & he was probably hitting 80 mph.