Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2019, 02:54 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13710
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
now that I believe
Well, I'm unable to make these changes myself and these are shops I trust so it's a coin toss as to where the changes are made. We're going on a two month trip in August and the issues need to be fixed by then.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:14 AM   #22

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Thousands of RV's have had the CHF done to them, mine included. I read on another forum Ford says the "fix" is not an issue for the sway bar. The shops you are dealing with IMHO either want to upsell you on another sway bar or just don't know what they are doing.

I just had the ACE in to have a front end alignment and the steering wheel centered.
The tech said he couldn't align the wheel as it has a keyway on the column. The steering wheel can only go on one way. I had to explain to him that yes you could align the steering wheel it had to be done under the coach at the steering gear box where the column attaches, it is splined and can be moved. I could have done it myself, I just didn't think I had the physical ability or the proper tools anymore. Cost me $350. Original quote on the align was $120. I paid $230 to have the wheel centered, no discount for teaching the kid how its done.
Point is a lot of these service guys may not know about work on a MH and are afraid to admit it. It saves face to tell you it can't or shouldn't be done
Old 06-21-2019, 03:39 AM   #23

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
That's weird that shops wont do the CHF. It's straight labor, easy money. I did the CHF waiting to get my Hurricane into the local Ford truck shop for my original alignment. They had no problem with it and they work on lots of medium duty trucks.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #24

THOR #13710
What should the tire pressure be? I'm going to find a mobile mechanic to do the CHF and install sumo springs and steering stabilizer. I can't find a single failure on a CHF mod.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #25

THOR #13710
Now I need to find jerry's extenders.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:40 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorris92223 View Post
Now I need to find jerry's extenders.
Pete
My buddy can't weld the plates anymore. I'm going to look for a local shop to see what they will charge

If I can find the shop I'll let you know. I can drill the holes

I can install them for you also. You're not that far from me

I'll look into it when I finish this trip in 3 more weeks

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #27

THOR #13710
Quote:
Pete
My buddy can't weld the plates anymore. I'm going to look for a local shop to see what they will charge

If I can find the shop I'll let you know. I can drill the holes

I can install them for you also. You're not that far from me

I'll look into it when I finish this trip in 3 more weeks

Jerry
Jerry,
I found the brackets from TeJay at Irv and he'll send them out for $60 and I just need to find a Mobil mechanic to do the installation. Thank you for your offer to help. We're going to be heading out for two months about the time you're getting home. Again thank you.
Paul
Old 06-21-2019, 07:02 PM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Paul we get back July 5
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:23 PM   #29

THOR #13710
Quote:
Paul we get back July 5
Found a local mechanic to put on the CHF near home. Adding a steering stabilizer and sumo springs on the 10th. Should be like driving a new rig. TeJay sending the extensions next week. Again thank you.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:20 PM   #30

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorris92223 View Post
Okay, I've read about the CHF here (cheap handling fix) and everyone seems to think it's the thing to do. So, the before and after, was there a noticeable improvement in handling and what happened to the ride without adding other enhancements to suspension. I just read on IRV2 that someone reversed their fix because he thought the ride became to harsh. I'm supposed to have it done next week and want to make sure it's thing to do. Don't want DW with an "I told you so"
The CHF will reduce the effect of cross winds and passing large vehicles but won’t affect the ride other than reducing side to side swaying. Proper tire pressure will help with the harsh ride. Proper front end alignment and a steering stabilizer will pretty much eliminate wandering. I don’t have Sumo springs on my A.C.E. but others say they will help soften the ride.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:09 PM   #31

State: Florida
THOR #14380
On my Miramar, I did the CHF recently and it did provide more stability. I'll have a better opinion after a few more miles. This is also with a Saftey Steer stabilizer previously added. They both helped on the handling.

By the way, anyone can comment: I did the CHF on the front only, but it is not clear if some people are doing it on front and rear. Comments anybody?

Jim
Old 06-23-2019, 12:51 AM   #32

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by analoguy View Post
On my Miramar, I did the CHF recently and it did provide more stability. I'll have a better opinion after a few more miles. This is also with a Saftey Steer stabilizer previously added. They both helped on the handling.

By the way, anyone can comment: I did the CHF on the front only, but it is not clear if some people are doing it on front and rear. Comments anybody?

Jim

Getting ready for my current 7,000 mile western trip I finally got around to putting my Roadmaster steering stabilizer on (salvaged from the RV I traded in - same F53 chassis). Also did the CHF because it gets rave reviews and is, after all “C”. Did front and rear after I found one of the rear sway bar brackets to be broken and missing so might as well do the CHF on it while it was apart. Then, on a whim, I bought and installed front Sumo Springs. Lastly I did the 5 Star tune on my 2015 chassis with the 5 speed transmission. I wasn’t really unhappy with the driving or handling of my rig before the changes except for the ECUs transmission shifting map. I’ve since put about 3,000 miles on the rig, most of it in windy and mountainous roads, and I’m pretty happy. None of it is magic and it’s still going to handle like a truck but it has never felt unsafe or scary even in the 50mph gusts accompanying a Montana wind alert. The 5 Star has given me the happiest result. There is still a bewildering tendency to downshift directly to third gear (5 speed transmission) when fourth can handle the hill while using the cruise control but it’s easy to get it into fourth with your foot before it downshifts itself. On most of the mountains I drive manually anyway.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:34 AM   #33

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
I did both front and rear CHF on our 2018 ACE 27.2. Really took a lot of roll out of the coach. After further review the 16000 lb chassis, @ least this one, is not equipped with a factory front trac bar. Before I install a steering stabilizer I think it would be smart to have the front end as stable as possible so I ordered a Roadmaster Davis True Trac for the front end.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:45 PM   #34

Model: Ace 29.4
State: New York
THOR #6366
It's better!

Did the CHF on the front only of our 29.4 ACE before a 4000 mile trip to NM and back this month. Significantly better handling with regards to "normal" wind and traffic, but there's not much that can help with the crosswinds on I-40 and I-44 through OK. and Mo. Still may look for larger diameter torsion bars for the back axle. It's a damn long drive fighting 20-30 mph gusts of wind all day.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #35

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10652
Did the chf both front and back but at different times. Front mod seemed to help. Back mod snapped the bracket on the first trip. Changed it back to factory setting. Steering stabilizer up front did wonders. I recommend that more than anything.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:35 PM   #36

THOR #13710
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar015 View Post
Did the chf both front and back but at different times. Front mod seemed to help. Back mod snapped the bracket on the first trip. Changed it back to factory setting. Steering stabilizer up front did wonders. I recommend that more than anything.
Wow, did you return both front and back to factory settings? I'm having steering stabilizer and sumo springs installed on the 10th, maybe I'll drive it awhile before the CHF. You're the first I've heard from that busted a link after the change
Old 06-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #37

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar015 View Post
Did the bracket break OR did the bolts loosen and fall off?

I ask because a few years ago Ford had a problem with the rear bolts.
When we had our transmission cable recalled the mechanic said he had worked on a few and suggested to try retorquing the bolts. I'm not sure what torque he used but it was a lot more than the factory used. Many thousand miles after that with no problems.

Here's a link to our sob forum discussing the failed bolts/bracket.
Broken Rear Sway Bar Bracket - Forest River Forums
Old 06-23-2019, 08:39 PM   #38

THOR #10652
Chf

I just restored the back sway bar. The hold down bracket snapped, bolts still there. So far the front mod seems like it works ok. I added a safe t plus steering stabilizer and front sumo shocks. These all Improved the ride and control. I then bought a 5 star tuner which changed shift points and greatly improved the ride. No more hard down shifting when going uphill.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:53 PM   #39

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Can you do chef on 2016 axis 22.5
Old 06-25-2019, 12:24 AM   #40

THOR #10652
Chf

I believe the chf can be done on any mh with the ford F53 chassis.