RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-03-2019, 12:58 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 970
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
When Ford build a F53 that don't know who will buy it or what will be built on it.
Could be a 10k box truck or 15+k mh.
and... the Largest RV Mfgs like Thor Industries, Winnebago etc. who know what they are buying them for; and will have very elaborated mfg processes, but they they don't take the time to do this really simple step to add marketing feature such as "F53 Enhanced Stabilized Chassis"?

I am not questioning you; but just feel like something is missing. This CHF has been around too long and it is too good from all fronts. Couldn't cost Thor more than $20 bucks more to add.

In my really unintelligent view, If all is true then manufacturers are willfully sending out a product with known safety issues and rely on the consumer to fix after the fact. Possibly because of concerns with the impacts on RV service centers who do this work for customers that can't, or do not wish to do themselves.
__________________

__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:29 PM   #82
Senior Member
 
Miramar Owner's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
Posts: 670
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
As I read all of the reviews and recommendations about the benefit of CHF, and given its simplicity, why don't Ford make the chassis already installed in the alternate holes?

I mean isn't this viewed as a safety issue by RV owners? Just from reading, you would think National Highway Transportation & Ford would issue a recall?

I intend to install the Safe T Plus, but reluctant to make the CHF change out of fear that it may void a Ford warranty on brand new 2019 unit. I just drove my unit 1500 miles and it was okay. It could have been better, but my fear was mainly poor roads in Florida / Georgia that were not level with the shoulders. Any wandering to the right and it very scary trying to correct overcoming.

Beyond my question above. Would it prudent / viable for one to do just do the Safe T Plus and see how that does?
That's what I did on my Miramar... Just the Safe-T-Plus. I'm happy with the handling now especially on uneven surfaces and cross winds.
__________________

__________________
Miramar Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #83
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,901
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
and... the Largest RV Mfgs like Thor Industries, Winnebago etc. who know what they are buying them for; and will have very elaborated mfg processes, but they they don't take the time to do this really simple step to add marketing feature such as "F53 Enhanced Stabilized Chassis"?

I am not questioning you; but just feel like something is missing. This CHF has been around too long and it is too good from all fronts. Couldn't cost Thor more than $20 bucks more to add.

In my really unintelligent view, If all is true then manufacturers are willfully sending out a product with known safety issues and rely on the consumer to fix after the fact. Possibly because of concerns with the impacts on RV service centers who do this work for customers that can't, or do not wish to do themselves.
There are many RV service centers that will not do the CHF because it is not recommended by Ford. Even the Camping World in my area refuses to perform the CHF and they will generally do anything. Could it be there is too much liability associated with that modification? I imagine there are just as many folks and service centers that say no as there are that say yes. I personally talked to a Ford truck service center when I had the Challenger aligned and they said no.

"If all is true then manufacturers are willfully sending out a product with known safety issues and rely on the consumer to fix after the fact."

Thank you for your extremely subjective opinion.

The consumer had the option to test drive the vehicle and then leave it on the lot if they weren't happy with the way it handled.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #84
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
Posts: 303
THOR #13360
I asked that question in June while at the Windsport Plant.The guide says they can't do any changes to the chassis( suspension wise) because they are not suspension certified shop. He agreed that both changes would improve handling. As mentioned before Ford doesn't know where the chassis will be used.
My opinion is that with the volume of chassis they order they could ask for those changes from Ford. They are bolt on options requiring only basic engineering to change. I doubt the changes would up the over all price of the coach.
The guide did say they were shooting for a price point for the end product. You can read that to say cheap is better.
__________________
MTHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:28 PM   #85
Senior Member
 
Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
Posts: 148
THOR #14508
Spoiler alert: outrageously simplistic post follows :



Guess it would be too much to ask why Ford supplies the sway bars with optional mounting holes in the first place...


All I know is that I did mine and it helped with stability. Steering stabilizer is next.


And by the way, couldn't installing that be considered compromising the original design?
__________________
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #86
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
Posts: 303
THOR #13360
And by the way, couldn't installing that be considered compromising the original design?[/QUOTE]

Technically I'd say yes. Any change would modify the engineering of the chassis. Think tire size, wheels, motorhome bolted on etc.
__________________
MTHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:11 PM   #87
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 3,254
THOR #6826
When I bought my first motorhome (a 26 ft Freedom Elite, class C) I thought the handling needed to be improved and did all the mods people rave about and took it on a windy trip out west and didnít have any problem. I thought ďcool!Ē it worked. When I traded on a class A I did the same mods and again didnít have a problem. Then I traded on another class A and I took he steering stabilizer off the old one to avoid buying it again. Left everything else on it because it would be too hard to remove. Drove the new one 500 miles home in the wind and mountains and, surprise, surprise, I didnít have any issues with it stock. Iíll probably install my steering stabilizer because Iíve got it and itís easy to do but I donít think Iím going to do anything else. Iíve come to believe that, while you CAN make it handle more like a car with thousands of dollars of modifications, thereís nothing inherently dangerous about the stock setup. It just takes getting used to. Just my opinion, of course.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:21 PM   #88
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,901
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
When Ford build a F53 that don't know who will buy it or what will be built on it.
Could be a 10k box truck or 15+k mh.
The next time you get on a tourist trolley look. Chances are it is a Hometown Trolley on a F53 chassis. We rode a bunch of them over the Thanksgiving weekend. The drivers had no idea what the CHF or steering stabilizers are.
__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #89
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 970
THOR #13058
You say "There are many RV service centers that will not do the CHF because it is not recommended by Ford. I personally talked to a Ford truck service center when I had the Challenger aligned and they said no."

Then that means my statement I made that you referenced.... "If all is true then manufacturers are willfully sending out a product with known safety issues and rely on the consumer to fix after the fact." Cannot be ALL TRUE; thus manufacturers are NOT sending out product with safety issues.

Consumers therefore have right to modify against Ford's recommendation and accept their own liability. On the other hand; I have had Manufacturers and Authorized dealers that recommend the Safe T Plus.

FWIW, I spoke to Safe T Plus this morning and they are not allowed to speak to the CHF. I don't doubt the CHF may improve, just was trying to understand why it was not universally applied. Now I know why. In my case, my RV drove 1500 miles without too much concern. I think what I may get from Safe T Plus should be adequate.
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:50 PM   #90
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 970
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
When I bought my first motorhome (a 26 ft Freedom Elite, class C) I thought the handling needed to be improved and did all the mods people rave about and took it on a windy trip out west and didnít have any problem. I thought ďcool!Ē it worked. When I traded on a class A I did the same mods and again didnít have a problem. Then I traded on another class A and I took he steering stabilizer off the old one to avoid buying it again. Left everything else on it because it would be too hard to remove. Drove the new one 500 miles home in the wind and mountains and, surprise, surprise, I didnít have any issues with it stock. Iíll probably install my steering stabilizer because Iíve got it and itís easy to do but I donít think Iím going to do anything else. Iíve come to believe that, while you CAN make it handle more like a car with thousands of dollars of modifications, thereís nothing inherently dangerous about the stock setup. It just takes getting used to. Just my opinion, of course.
Thanks for insight as this is kind of what I was trying to understand. I think the weight distribution / length on wheelbase is inherent factor. I drove 1500 miles in 4 days. Yes there were a few moments, but I have those moments in my SUV as well if I drive 65 mph and allow most everyone to pass me.

For now, I will not modify my brand new F53 chassis but I will look to add the Safe T Plus. I view the latter as additional support more so than modifying the design itself. I mean the Safe T Plus could break off, but nothing would happen. Just a $600 training wheel
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:42 PM   #91
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,763
THOR #3156
The first suspension mod I did was the chf. This topic has been talked about for years on irv2.com. with only a couple people complaining about it. I keep up with the thread fairly regularly and cant remember where anyone was denied warranty or had problems due to the chf. Several people have complained about the ride being harsher and went back to stock but that's it.

My commercial ford service center said it was fine to do and that's why the bar has two holes in it

Most shops will say no because they dont know anything about it. So instead of researching it they say no

Do what you feel comfortable with. I have no second thoughts about doing it

Jerry
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:06 AM   #92
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Evo
State: New Hampshire
Posts: 7
THOR #17076
Would shocks with coil over springs soften the ride on my 2015 Thor Evo 29.5?
__________________
Snipebru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:22 AM   #93
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,665
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipebru View Post
Would shocks with coil over springs soften the ride on my 2015 Thor Evo 29.5?
No, the extra springs would stiffen the ride.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:42 AM   #94
Senior Member
 
MJC62's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
Posts: 681
THOR #14698
Adding coil overs will stiffen the ride. Some guys on this site claim Sumo springs softened their ride, I don't see how that can be the case either. Sumos will keep the truck from bottoming out, perhaps that is what they refer to, but a softer ride??? Years (and years) ago I was an auto tech for Chrysler/Imperial/Plymouth. About the only thing that we recommended to soften a "ride" was new shocks and even that basically just keeps the vehicle from excessive rebound. A solid axle leaf spring suspension like an F53 motorhome chassis is going to ride like a truck. Different suspension mods will improve handling characteristics like body roll, tail wag, rut tracking etc.. But, IMHO, an F53 MH is going to ride like a truck and unless they start building them (and pricing ) like a diesel pusher with air ride we can improve handling but its gonna ride like a commercial box truck with a bed and a bathroom.....
__________________
2018 ACE 27.2
Toad 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Towbar
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:11 AM   #95
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 1,274
THOR #11781
MJC, I put the sumo springs on my coach after the CHF and saf-t-plus. The ride is less jarring for sure after the sumos. I wouldn't say softer, just calmer. I don't feel the expansion joints and road imperfections as readily as I did before the install.
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
CHF, Saf-T-Plus, SumoSprings
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:26 AM   #96
Senior Member
 
MJC62's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
Posts: 681
THOR #14698
Lt., Calmer is a very apt description! I think a "softer" ride is a myth with a motorhome. Some folks are chasing the ride of a Buick 225 and we should be happy if we get um to ride like a 1975 3/4 ton Dodge Powerwagon!
__________________
2018 ACE 27.2
Toad 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Towbar
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:45 AM   #97
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 1,274
THOR #11781
Ain't that the truth. An entry level Class A is never gonna ride like a sedan.
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
CHF, Saf-T-Plus, SumoSprings
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:40 PM   #98
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 35 M Windsoport
State: Texas
Posts: 8
THOR #13876
trying to get the plates for the CHF but cant seem to get the info to purchase.
__________________
mearl.davis@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:22 PM   #99
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 1,274
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by mearl.davis@gmail.com View Post
trying to get the plates for the CHF but cant seem to get the info to purchase.
Plates? It's called the cheap handling fix because it doesn't cost anything to do it in the driveway of your home. Requires no parts and outside of a torque wrench and maybe bottle jack no special tools are required.
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
CHF, Saf-T-Plus, SumoSprings
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:28 PM   #100
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,665
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Plates? It's called the cheap handling fix because it doesn't cost anything to do it in the driveway of your home. Requires no parts and outside of a torque wrench and maybe bottle jack no special tools are required.
Not always true. In some chassis you physically can not connect the OEM rod to the second hole; you either need a longer rod or, as some have done, install plates on the frame to move the connection point.
__________________

__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×