Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2019, 03:58 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
My 18,000 lb F53 has a recommended tire proof 85 lbs. max pressure on sidewall is probably way too high. I’m not surprised lowering it some was helpful. That said, I just recently raised mine from 85 to 95 and I like the ride and handling better.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #62

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
My 18,000 lb F53 has a recommended tire proof 85 lbs. max pressure on sidewall is probably way too high. I’m not surprised lowering it some was helpful. That said, I just recently raised mine from 85 to 95 and I like the ride and handling better.
Glad that helped
Old 07-13-2019, 11:32 PM   #63

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Ohio
THOR #4541
There is a thread on the IRV2 forum that has been going on since 2012. I read the whole thing over the last month. I did the CHF on the front of my 2016 Ace 29.4 and it is a significant improvement. Last week we did over 900 miles round trip to Michigan and it was great. Drove most of the way with 1 hand on the steering wheel instead of the 2 handed white knuckle grip.
I don't have a lot of automotive experience but after reading that thread i was pretty sure I could do it so I went for it. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I expected and i got it done.
If you take some time and read the IRV2 thread you'll learn that there have been some naysayers in the beginning but there have been 100s and maybe thousands that have done it and there have been very few issues even after logging thousands of miles.
Many shops won't do it for you because they would rather sell you new sway bars and other items to improve performance. Many have had it done by Ford dealers.
If you're still unsure i recommend that you go to IRV2 and check in withTeJay.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:51 AM   #64

THOR #13710
Quote:
Originally Posted by kprun View Post
There is a thread on the IRV2 forum that has been going on since 2012. I read the whole thing over the last month. I did the CHF on the front of my 2016 Ace 29.4 and it is a significant improvement. Last week we did over 900 miles round trip to Michigan and it was great. Drove most of the way with 1 hand on the steering wheel instead of the 2 handed white knuckle grip.
I don't have a lot of automotive experience but after reading that thread i was pretty sure I could do it so I went for it. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I expected and i got it done.
If you take some time and read the IRV2 thread you'll learn that there have been some naysayers in the beginning but there have been 100s and maybe thousands that have done it and there have been very few issues even after logging thousands of miles.
Many shops won't do it for you because they would rather sell you new sway bars and other items to improve performance. Many have had it done by Ford dealers.
If you're still unsure i recommend that you go to IRV2 and check in withTeJay.
TeJay, is where I bought my brackets and had the CHF , steering stabilizer done last Wed at CW. I'm well past time when I could do work myself. Noticed the difference right away.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:14 PM   #65

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Ohio
THOR #4541
I'm glad that it worked out for you.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:11 PM   #66

THOR #13710
Ahhhhhh, CHF, Steering Stabilizer, Front Sumo, Koni Shocks and finally an alignment. Fill the tank and a bath and we're ready for the California central coast. The ride and handling is much improved, I won't really know how much improved until I get out on the road with the toad attached.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:40 AM   #67

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Virginia
THOR #15081
Who performs the CHF? A Ford dealer or the Coach dealer?
Old 07-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #68

THOR #13710
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3NS View Post
I had mine done by Camping World but a Ford truck dealer or regular mechanic would probably be able to do the fix. A number of people on here did their own. I got the front brackets from TJAY on the IRV2 forum. I guess the CHF can be done without the brackets but they help keep the configuration closer to factory.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:46 PM   #69

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Virginia
THOR #15081
Thank you very much for the reply!
Old 07-22-2019, 05:23 AM   #70

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
THOR #14761
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorris92223 View Post
Ahhhhhh, CHF, Steering Stabilizer, Front Sumo, Koni Shocks and finally an alignment. Fill the tank and a bath and we're ready for the California central coast. The ride and handling is much improved, I won't really know how much improved until I get out on the road with the toad attached.
Hey pmorris #####- I live in Norcal California Monterey Bay, upgrade everything you can upgrade as far as suspension. California freeways and highways are absolutely terrible potholes be very careful. I will say Oregon Idaho Montana North Dakota , you can drive with two fingers. My motorhome is 20,500 pounds 35 feet no problem but in California good luck pay attention . Very Beautiful but difficult driving
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:51 AM   #71

THOR #13710
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDDOG View Post
Hey pmorris #####- I live in Norcal California Monterey Bay, upgrade everything you can upgrade as far as suspension. California freeways and highways are absolutely terrible potholes be very careful. I will say Oregon Idaho Montana North Dakota , you can drive with two fingers. My motorhome is 20,500 pounds 35 feet no problem but in California good luck pay attention . Very Beautiful but difficult driving
No argument there, the roads down here are awful. Not to bad after Santa Barbara heading North. About the only thing left might be a rear track bar I'll have a better understanding after this trip.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:55 AM   #72

Model: Hurricane 34B
State: British Columbia
THOR #5367
Quote:
Okay, I've read about the CHF here (cheap handling fix) and everyone seems to think it's the thing to do. So, the before and after, was there a noticeable improvement in handling and what happened to the ride without adding other enhancements to suspension. I just read on IRV2 that someone reversed their fix because he thought the ride became to harsh. I'm supposed to have it done next week and want to make sure it's thing to do. Don't want DW with an "I told you so"
I recently did the front-end CHF on my ‘08 Hurricane 34B. I was really looking forward to the results after reading about it for a few years. I just finished a 3 week 3,000 mile roadtrip and I must say that I didn’t notice any difference. I do tow a dolly with a small car, so not sure if that makes a difference. I’ve never had any major handling issues like I’ve read about with the F53 chassis. I have the 20,500 lb chassis. I still get a lot of roll in the front end when going over driveway entrances. In terms of the work, it took me maybe 15 mins to complete with the help of a small hydraulic jack.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #73

THOR #13710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdev10 View Post
I recently did the front-end CHF on my ‘08 Hurricane 34B. I was really looking forward to the results after reading about it for a few years. I just finished a 3 week 3,000 mile roadtrip and I must say that I didn’t notice any difference. I do tow a dolly with a small car, so not sure if that makes a difference. I’ve never had any major handling issues like I’ve read about with the F53 chassis. I have the 20,500 lb chassis. I still get a lot of roll in the front end when going over driveway entrances. In terms of the work, it took me maybe 15 mins to complete with the help of a small hydraulic jack.
I'm sorry to hear you didn't notice any difference. I Noticed an improvement right out of the shop. I'll have a better understanding after we've been out on the roads for a few weeks. We did both front and back with steering stabilizer, shocks and front sumo springs. The sway was reduced and the shocks and springs really helped the ride over some terrible truck beat up roads heading out towards Palm Springs.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:50 AM   #74

THOR #13710
Handled well, although the roads were awful , California roads absolutely suck. Stayed in lanes with no problem. No sway and I'm pretty happy with it right now we'll be getting some more time on the road in about 4 days up to Santa Barbara.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:20 AM   #75

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Handled well, although the roads were awful , California roads absolutely suck. Stayed in lanes with no problem. No sway and I'm pretty happy with it right now we'll be getting some more time on the road in about 4 days up to Santa Barbara.
Have a fun and safe trip. Post pics if you have time.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:22 AM   #76

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3NS View Post
Most people do the job themselves. Its fairly easy and limited tools are needed

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:08 PM   #77

THOR #13710
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Have a fun and safe trip. Post pics if you have time.

Jerry
Thanks, I'm posting pics and comments on a separate thread. I am happy with the handling. The sway was mostly gone although really couldn't get up to speed with traffic. Most impressed with the steering stabilizer on our wonderful potholed roads (not) and the front sumo springs helped. We didn't hook up the Jeep for a short trip to Long Beach, we'll hook up for Santa Barbara and the rest of the trip and get a better feel.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:51 PM   #78

THOR #13710
Okay, from Golden Shore in Long Beach to Elks Lodge in Santa Barbara towing our Jeep. What a difference, stayed in lanes, easy to handle, amazing difference. The CHF did what it was supposed to do but the steering stabilizer was probably the best addition. Money well spent..
Old 12-03-2019, 08:50 AM   #79

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Why don't Ford make the newer F53 Chassis with this modification?

As I read all of the reviews and recommendations about the benefit of CHF, and given its simplicity, why don't Ford make the chassis already installed in the alternate holes?

I mean isn't this viewed as a safety issue by RV owners? Just from reading, you would think National Highway Transportation & Ford would issue a recall?

I intend to install the Safe T Plus, but reluctant to make the CHF change out of fear that it may void a Ford warranty on brand new 2019 unit. I just drove my unit 1500 miles and it was okay. It could have been better, but my fear was mainly poor roads in Florida / Georgia that were not level with the shoulders. Any wandering to the right and it very scary trying to correct overcoming.

Beyond my question above. Would it prudent / viable for one to do just do the Safe T Plus and see how that does?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #80

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
When Ford build a F53 that don't know who will buy it or what will be built on it.
Could be a 10k box truck or 15+k mh.