Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2021, 11:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude
State: New Jersey
THOR #21908
Class C - Increase Overhead Bed Weight Limit

I have a 2020 Thor Magnitude Super C Diesel, floorplan model BB35. I have a near Queen-sized bed (only 59" wide instead of the normal 60") in the overhead (over the driver and passenger sear) area that only has a listed weight limit of 250 pounds. Some things to keep in mind before replying:

(1) Yes, I have confirmed it is in fact 250 pounds. It's listed on the warning sticker right below the bed and I have confirmed this by speaking with Thor directly.

(2) Both Thor and the service center where I purchased the motorhome are unable to advise me on why it is so low and how to reinforce it.

(3) My intention is to be able to sleep two adults up there that camp with us, so figure I would like to increase the limit to at least 350 pounds.

(4) I have attached the schematics/plans for the overhead cab area that were provided to me by Thor, if that helps anyone in advising me.

Is there anyone that knows how to reinforce this properly or can recommend me to a shop that could advise me? I am located in southern NJ.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cab Cap Schematics.PDF (2.80 MB, 396 views)

Old 01-21-2021, 11:50 PM   #2

Model: Omni RB34
State: Oregon
THOR #20891
Wow!

Wonder if this is the solution to the structural problem Judge identified and documented so well?

Matt's RV Reviews, reviewing the model RB34 on YouTube has a picture a 500lb load limit sticker for the overhead bunk area.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:58 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I couldn't see the schematics.
But it would seem logical that you need to address 2 areas:
1. The attachment points of the bed.
2. The beds load carrying capacity.

The second one is easy: add another thicker layer to the platform.
As to the first: I am guessing that additional attachment points will be needed.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:59 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Oh! Welcome to the forum also.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:51 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
From the schematics it looks like if brackets 6 and 7 were not cut off at an angle but connected to bracket 4, the load limit may have been increased. Or maybe if revision 8 had not removed the 1 x 3 at the windshield additional weight may have been allowed. It looks like this schematic is used for all MG models, so the weight limits for one should apply to all.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the new project on load capacity in the bunk.

Paul
Old 01-22-2021, 07:04 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Wow, that’s an ambitious undertaking. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:27 AM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
A metal brace from the far front corner of that overhang down to just below the a pillar and mounted to the fender. It used to be common and it won't affect value.

Or
Cram a contoured 2x3 back in that cab/overhang gap.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:07 PM   #9

THOR #21908
First of all, thank you for the warm welcome!

Second, and most important, this is great information. I am going to need some time to review the schematics with your input, and then try and see how to attack this the easiest way.

I don't suppose anyone knows anyone local to my area (Southern NJ - Philadelphia Metro Area) that could actually perform this work? Kids have rendered my time a little hard to come by these days.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:29 AM   #10

Model: Magnitude RB34
THOR #21905
Quote:
Originally Posted by stags066 View Post
First of all, thank you for the warm welcome!

Second, and most important, this is great information. I am going to need some time to review the schematics with your input, and then try and see how to attack this the easiest way.

I don't suppose anyone knows anyone local to my area (Southern NJ - Philadelphia Metro Area) that could actually perform this work? Kids have rendered my time a little hard to come by these days.
Have you checked with Dylans RV Center, if they don't do extensive work, they may know who does
Old 01-27-2021, 04:18 AM   #11

THOR #2121
Quote:

....cut....

(1) Yes, I have confirmed it is in fact 250 pounds. It's listed on the warning sticker right below the bed and I have confirmed this by speaking with Thor directly.

(2) Both Thor and the service center where I purchased the motorhome are unable to advise me on why it is so low and how to reinforce it.

.....cut....
If Thor knew how to reinforce it correctly, why wouldn’t they be doing it as a standard design revision? I doubt you’re the first to question this low weight rating.

The video droregon referred to does show 500 pound load limit. I would start by trying to determine if that rig was built before or after yours. If built before yours, it suggests that Thor may have experienced problems/failures and had to derate load capacity. If built after yours, it suggest Thor found a way to redesign for the higher 500-pound load capacity.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:32 PM   #12

THOR #21908
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandi View Post
Have you checked with Dylans RV Center, if they don't do extensive work, they may know who does
That's the dealer that I purchased it from in Sewell, NJ. Their service department advised me to work with Thor.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:33 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Anyone consider that maybe the issue isn't with the structure but rather with the wood base mattress instead. A 1/4 inch piece of plywood used as the base for the mattress isn't going to support much of anything going across a span of nothing below.

Might be easier to replace the mattress/platform rather than rebuild the structure and voiding a warranty.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:38 PM   #14

THOR #21908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
If Thor knew how to reinforce it correctly, why wouldn’t they be doing it as a standard design revision? I doubt you’re the first to question this low weight rating.

The video droregon referred to does show 500 pound load limit. I would start by trying to determine if that rig was built before or after yours. If built before yours, it suggests that Thor may have experienced problems/failures and had to derate load capacity. If built after yours, it suggest Thor found a way to redesign for the higher 500-pound load capacity.
Mine is a 2020, and the one in the video is a 2021. They are different floor plans, but the same make and model. Additionally, the over the cab bed looks identical to mine. This is a great suggestion, so I have added this information to my open ticket with Thor.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:39 PM   #15

THOR #21908
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Anyone consider that maybe the issue isn't with the structure but rather with the wood base mattress instead. A 1/4 inch piece of plywood used as the base for the mattress isn't going to support much of anything going across a span of nothing below.

Might be easier to replace the mattress/platform rather than rebuild the structure and voiding a warranty.
This was one of my main goals posting on this forum: to determine if the wood base is the delimiter.

If I need to reinforce the thickness of the plywood, then that's a straightforward solution.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:10 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Here's something to think about...
What if Thor has decided that the limiting factor is the amount of weight that overhead bunk can take; before it it putting too much strain of the overhead extension framework?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:00 PM   #17

THOR #2121
Quote:
This was one of my main goals posting on this forum: to determine if the wood base is the delimiter.

If I need to reinforce the thickness of the plywood, then that's a straightforward solution.

If that’s the case, it will be a simple solution. My only concern would be if the plywood was intentionally made the weak link so it would fail first in order to protect other items (more costly failures like damaging cab).

It’s unlikely Thor designs at that level, but it’s not uncommon for engineers to design in a safer mode of failure to provide warning before a catastrophic (or very expensive) failure occurs.

When overloaded enough, eventually something has to fail. Controlling what goes first sometimes helps.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:10 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Chance,
They call that a "shear pin"...
Balers have had them for about a hundred years...
(My Grampa Denman baled a whole lot of hay in his lifetime... )
Old 01-27-2021, 03:50 PM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
For comparison purposes, I just checked on my Accolade to determine the weight limit for there overhead bunk.

My Cab-Over Bunk, as referred to by Jayco/Entegra, has a weight capacity of 750 pounds. The ladder used to gain access to the bunk has a weight limit of 300 pounds.

Looking at the structural diagrams for my rig the Cab-Over Bunk is constructed using 1x1 square aluminum tubing for the frame. The frame along the outer walls uses 1x2 P-Tube.

The removal part of my Cab-Over Bunk measures approx 19 x 48. I am not certain but I believe the wood base for that section is at least 3/4 inch thick.

There is no mention about mounting hardware in my diagrams.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:00 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Dave,
Let's play with the Math...
You have a 750 pound limit for your bunk; but only a 300 pound limit for the ladder...
It sounds like two buck-naked 300 pound people could climb up; after they've tossed 150 pounds worth of clothing, bedding, and evening snacks up first!
( I'm NOT saying that you and your beloved weigh that much... this is just for illustrative purposes.: whistling

Tags
c overhead bed reinforce