Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2019, 07:42 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 23H
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13709
Hmmm we have a freedom elite 25’ no slides and just use the drive on blocks. Put two level bubbles on side and back. Pretty east to level it.
What is advantage of auto ones? Had travel trailer before and used the blocks. Thought the drive on ramps were a big improvement. ����*♀️

Old 10-30-2019, 08:33 PM   #22

Model: Synergy SD24
State: Virginia
THOR #10305
Big Foot Levelers

Have automatic Big Foot levelers on Thor Synergy Class C. Work great. Had them installed at Big Foot site in Michigan.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:59 PM   #23

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Factory Lipperts and I couldn't be happier (for now). One way to stay dry if parking in the rain.

I usually cantine fresh water. If it's raining, I can level the coach, put out the slides and do hookups when the rain passes. You can certainly do that w/o levelers to. It's more of a strategy/tactic. The fridge runs more efficiently when the coach is level. It helps me preserve propane if I haven't hooked up yet.

Only thing is I have 6x6 blocks with handles to place under the levelers but usually wind up in a place where I can't get them to fit underneath before I start the leveling process. Get something smaller (4x4?). The auto-levelers will only extend so far and may need help in some places.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:36 AM   #24

Model: VEGAS 27.7
THOR #14226
Smile

I do not have the automatic system. When I have parked I press power, start and all extend. The front two drop down until each touch ground, then the rear extend the same way. I then check the level and adjust as needed without getting out of the seat. The fully automatic system completely adjust its self. It can need to be reprogramed at times. I have also heard that when it levels its self some times the tire could be lifted off the ground. I do not want that. The other reason is the auto system cost $1,000.00+ more.
I had a smaller unit like yours and had only one slide. I put the manual hand crank down jacks like you see on many trailers. They worked pretty good and at least they stabilized the unit from rocking. You are only into those for less than $200.00. You might not need to spend the money on a Big Foot System.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:32 PM   #25

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by robynb0119 View Post
Hmmm we have a freedom elite 25’ no slides and just use the drive on blocks. Put two level bubbles on side and back. Pretty east to level it.
What is advantage of auto ones? Had travel trailer before and used the blocks. Thought the drive on ramps were a big improvement. ����*♀️

I used to have a 24' Chateau with no levelers and now have a 32' Chateau with automatic levelers. Advantages are:
- Just push a button and the RV is leveled.
- No more getting blocks out of storage, placing blocks under tires, trial-and-error hassle getting it level.
- The rig is a lot more stable sitting on levelers instead of sitting on tires and suspension, so it doesn't move as people move around inside the coach.

When we upsized from the 24' to the 32' one of the main options I wanted was the levelers. I'm really glad to have them.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:41 PM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Besides: carrying all of those leveling blocks does take up a lot of storage space!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:28 PM   #27

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
I used to have a 24' Chateau with no levelers and now have a 32' Chateau with automatic levelers. Advantages are:
- Just push a button and the RV is leveled.
- No more getting blocks out of storage, placing blocks under tires, trial-and-error hassle getting it level.
- The rig is a lot more stable sitting on levelers instead of sitting on tires and suspension, so it doesn't move as people move around inside the coach.

When we upsized from the 24' to the 32' one of the main options I wanted was the levelers. I'm really glad to have them.
If I read this right, once you get below a certain length you lose the levelers? I was thinking about downsizing but don't want the leveling hassle. I'm full time so it's not once or thrice a year for me.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:48 AM   #28

Model: Hurricane 29m
THOR #13665
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV20192 View Post
What would be a simple and very affordable way to add stabilizers?

My 25' does not have any. Would it work to simply add those scissor lifts on each corner of the box, and then level manually?
I thought of that until I looked under the corners. The frame is in the middle and there is very little support in the corners. Also very little steel to bolt the scissor jack's to. I purchased one scissor jack to put on the ground to raise the slideout side. That helps a little.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:26 AM   #29

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
If I read this right, once you get below a certain length you lose the levelers? I was thinking about downsizing but don't want the leveling hassle. I'm full time so it's not once or thrice a year for me.
From the factory Thor does not put levelers on anything less than 30ft. However a system can be installed on about anything. In your case that would be a negotiating point should you decide to downsize. We are thinking about going up to a 29ft and it will be a discussion point for us should the time come. Either the dealer installs a system or the price comes off the deal.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #30

Model: Class C / Chateau 31L
State: Iowa
THOR #1763
31L Chateau 2014 levelers

We had levelers installed when we bought the RV. It costs about 5,000 to install. I think it's Bulls Eye? Anyway it is easy to push a button to be level. We go to Sanibel Island, Florida from Jan to March and it seems to be good with not much rocking when one of us moves around but after about a month the rocking gets worse. We haven't put down the stabilizers at the same time. I guess we thought if we did it would mess with the leveling. We wonder sometimes if we wasted money having them installed. Our spot is pretty level when we arrive and we don't camp much elsewhere to really test it out. We thought about just using the stabilizers this Jan. Maybe both. We're not new but we are confused a little (or a lot) about this subject. I suppose this did nothing for the original poster. Sorry.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:19 PM   #31

Model: Four Winds 24HL
State: California
THOR #18533
RichS, have you gone to levelers? I'm looking into levelers for my 24HL Class C especially since it appears to be pre-wired, but I'm wondering what brand Thor uses. JimH
Old 04-08-2020, 09:36 PM   #32

Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #1929
Hi Jim,

I never pursued the levelers. I had other expenses get in the way. Good luck on your pursuit.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:10 PM   #33

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
I’ve got HWH straight acting jacks with joystick controller
It’s less expensive than the HWH flip-down levelers.
Although, the flip-downs provide the most clearance of any levelors.
HWH is $3,000 (or more) for parts + the labor.
So it’s a $4,000+ investment.

The best value in levelers is the Big-Foot brand.
Many on this Forum have had those installed on their E350/450, and paid under $2500 out-the-door for parts & labor when going straight to the Michigan factory.

Bottom-line, now that I have them, I will never go back.
They are a wonderful treat.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:41 PM   #34

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHoover View Post
RichS, have you gone to levelers? I'm looking into levelers for my 24HL Class C especially since it appears to be pre-wired, but I'm wondering what brand Thor uses. JimH
2017 31L. Lippert - aka LCI. You can also look into Big Foot. Pretty good rep. No rocking whatsoever. Hope that helps
Old 04-22-2020, 09:51 PM   #35

Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
THOR #16600
When I had my rig at Camping World for service I asked about installing levelers. They quoted me $6k+ installed. They wanted me to have levelers that came down at an angle as opposed to straight up and down. They said the straight up and down does not leave enough ground clearance when retracted on the E450 chassis. Any truth?
Old 04-22-2020, 10:41 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
When I had my rig at Camping World for service I asked about installing levelers. They quoted me $6k+ installed. They wanted me to have levelers that came down at an angle as opposed to straight up and down. They said the straight up and down does not leave enough ground clearance when retracted on the E450 chassis. Any truth?
That statement has my B.S. meter twitching something fierce....

I had an Outlaw 29-H with Lipperts stuck to the frame. Straight up and down.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:02 PM   #37

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Big foot levelers $2700 installed
Old 04-22-2020, 11:31 PM   #38

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
I added HWH auto-leveling to the Gemini. They, HWH, make a kit for the Mercedes chassis, and they worked great. They were, however a bit expensive, but IMO well worth it.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:38 AM   #39

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
Camping World likes to use HWH “Kick-Down” jacks vs “Straight Acting” jacks for all Class C E350 or E450 chassis.
And yes, HWH is the more expensive leveler option. Especially if Camping World installs them.

So with my E450 chassis I went with the HWH straight acting jacks with joystick controller (vs most expensive auto level model), but I had them installed at a dealer that kept the price under $4,500.
I have plenty of clearance, just not quite as much as if I had installed kick-down jacks.

Another option for you...
Many on this Forum have opted for the BigFoot Leveling system on their E350 or E450 chassis.
It’s a straight acting jack that is very affordable.
In fact, look for a BigFoot price reduction sale after the China Virus ends.
If you drive to the Michigan factory where they are made you may get an installed price well under $3,000 (as many have done).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97528717-10A7-4FE7-819B-B13E0A3BED67.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	23410   Click image for larger version

Name:	929F73B7-46D3-464B-BCD4-A0ACC125899A.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	23411  

Old 04-24-2020, 12:00 AM   #40

Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
THOR #16600
I kinda figured they were trying sell me something in stock rather than what I asked for. Thanks for confirming!